“Another good visit”

Ranked #13 of 454 Restaurants in Lincoln
Price range: US$8 - US$18
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Description: Specialist cheese shop and cheese eatery, located in the Cathedral Quarter of Lincoln. We stock a wide range of local, British & Continental cheeses and serve a select range of hot and cold cheeses dishes. Enjoy loose teas, fresh coffee, wines, beers, ales, ciders and soft drinks
Lincoln, United Kingdom
“Another good visit”
Reviewed 10 April 2014

As a regular at the Cheese Society I have come to expect a certain level of food and service and normally never feel let down. There is always a good variety of options on the standard menu and a good selection of specials.

The service was as ever warm and friendly, and we were quickly seated. My friends always tease me about ordering the same thing so on this occasion I ordered a special - asparagus risotto with goats cheese. The rice was well cooked but, strange as it sounds to say, the dish contained too much cheese leaving the dish a little greasy and almost sickly. My companions burger and chips was extremely good.

The risotto was a minor blip in many, many happy visits. Well worth a visit if you are in the area.

• Visited March 2014

Lincoln
“Very friendly. ”
Reviewed 10 April 2014 via mobile

Myself and my wife often go into the Cheese Society for a coffee.

Although we haven't eaten there I find the staff and the kitchen staff very friendly and forthcoming.

The staff have a great attitude and make you feel very comfortable.

I would recommend this establishment to anyone. Well worth a visit.

Ollerton, United Kingdom
“Excellent food! especially the twice baked soufflé !”
Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

I've been to the cheese society on many occasions since I moved to the area over 5 years ago. I have NEVER had a bad experience eating here. The food is delicious and great value for money . The cheese shop is brilliant and has an amazing verity of cheeses the staff are more than happy to tell you in detail about the cheese and even let you test a piece before you buy. Reading some of there other reviews it surprises me that others have managed to find fault with this simple lunchtime bistro.

Visited April 2014
“Delicious!”
Reviewed 2 April 2014 via mobile

What a little gem! I had the cheese soufflé - amazing!! My husband had the pulled pork sandwich which was lovely but he felt he didn't get enough.. It's an open sandwich so only half and didn't have much filling, in hindsight he should have picked something more filling. The food was delicious and we will return soon. The only down side is that it is very expensive, especially drinks. I think they are charging over the odds for soft drinks.

“Disappointing...what a pity”
Reviewed 30 March 2014 via mobile

We went all the way from Cambridge to visit Lincoln and specially to try the Cheese Society Restaurant...we ordered two of the specialties, Raclette and Tartiflette.

The Tartiflette was good, not as tasty as expected, but good. However, we were extremely disappointed by the Raclette. We felt tricked, as the cheese was not Raclette cheese at all, but Emmental. I don't understand how a place that is specialised in cheeses would allow this fraud. Anybody who has a little interest would be able to differentiate.

Would not recommend at all due to this unfortunate experience. I don't enjoy being tricked.

2 Thank Miguel M
KAOM52, Owner at The Cheese Society, responded to this review, 2 April 2014
I was very surprised to read your comments regarding the Raclette dish we have on the menu in our cafe, which is a very popular dish. It is 100% Raclette cheese, and the cheese is always on sale in our cheese shop throughout the year. I am afraid that you do not know your cheeses that well and I do object to the tone of your review accusing us of stating something on our menu that is not genuine.