“Very nice stay, no problems”
Review of Charlotte House

and 1 more site!
Charlotte House
Ranked #12 of 51 Lincoln B&B and Inns
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Had a very nice stay here in a Deluxe Suite. Would have marked 5 stars but the (HUGE!) bed was a teeny bit hard for my tastes and the TV remote did not work properly.
Otherwise, this was a delightful stay. The location is perfect, the suite was spacious, the 4-poster wonderful, the bathroom huge and well-fitted and the service outstanding. The receptionist was completely lovely. Excellent quality breakfast and an extremely relaxed weekend. Thankyou!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Managerch, Manager at Charlotte House, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2014

Thank you for leaving a review so swiftly! We are delighted to hear that our service and standards were enjoyed during your recent stay. Our breakfast offering is something that we pride ourself on. Good quality, local produce & expertly cooked. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the hotel on sat 26th April, what a lovely hotel.
We arrived a little early at 2.30pm the lady on reception informed us our room wasn't ready and they were running a little behind due to a wedding the previous day, not a problem she took our luggage and directed us off to some little pubs for half hour or so.
Returned to check in just after 6, check in was quick and helpful and the gentlemen on reception took us up to the room, nice little touch as opposed to just being sent off with directions.
The room was lovely, very clean, nice decor, lots of lovely homely touches and the bathroom was huge! There was no bath but I didn't mind the shower was huge, very modern and stylish, the floor is very slippy though, so be careful.
There was a hair dryer and straighteners in the room which I wish I had known before we went would have saved me packing mine. Bed was very comfortable and we had a good nights sleep.
We couldn't hear any noise from the other rooms and all the staff we bumped into we're friendly and helpful.
Only downside was there is no air con and it was hot in the room and the window was a little stiff to open but not a major issue.
They have free wifi and car parking was reasonable only £5 for our stay.
Check out was simple and the girl who checked us out was lovely, very helpful.
Would most definitely return. Hopefully it won't be too long either as it's a great hotel in a great city and the location is perfect for exploring.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Please do come back and see us again soon, we enjoyed hosting you as much as you enjoyed your stay!!

Reviewed 13 April 2014

We stayed here on 11.04.14 and would happily return or recommend to family or friends as a good place to stay. Lincoln is a place we love to visit and the hotel was ideally placed for us to access the Cathedral area which was our main reason for visiting.
On arrival on Friday afternoon, we were made to feel very welcome by the young lady on reception. She was friendly, helpful and professional, all of which helped to make us feel at ease. We loved our room (10) which had a beautiful bathroom and a very comfortable bed - we both commented on how well we'd slept. Breakfast was delicious and served with style.
We really enjoyed our stay and hope to visit again.

Thank you to everyone at Charlotte House

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

We also hope that you have an opportunity to visit again!

Kindest Regards

Charlotte House team

Reviewed 7 April 2014

I haven't written a review on trip advisor for years but felt I had to after having the experience of a function and overnight stay here. I have given the management at Charlotte house plenty of time to reply to my e-mail regarding my stay but it has been twenty days now and no contact so customer satisfaction is still obviously not high on their agenda even though management has taken the time to reply to the nice reviews on trip advisor.

The hotel was booked for exclusive use at great expense by my friend for her 50th birthday. The events planner was extremely difficult to get hold of regarding pat testing of electrical items for decoration of the function room. Originally we were told brand new equipment did not need testing then on the week of the party we were told it did. Cue much rushing around to complete otherwise there was a setting up fee of £100 extra to pay. The chairs in the function room looked shabby in the daylight, there was broken glass on the floor and the chrome floor electrical sockets were filthy when opened. The lack of, experience and apathy of the staff became more apparent as the night wore on.

I checked into my room late afternoon and although nicely decorated it had no slippers, pens or as I found later to my dismay no extra blanket. These are basics usually found in most hotels especially ones charging between £150 to £300 a night.

The party later that night was let down by the quality and quantity of food available. Only 2 potato wedges each please. The presentation of the food could have been so much better. I believe that one of the birthday girls daughters was asked by the staff about the servings of desserts as a lot of people were not at their seats at that time so she asked that a selection be placed on each table. What we actually got were arms thrust between people chatting and desserts just slung on the tables without even asking what the guests would prefer. Quite a few mouths dropped open and not in anticipation of the pudding. I feel like I have to mention the in house D.J and perhaps let him know that just because somebody is 50 it does not mean that they are nearly dead and don't just like ABBA and cheesy 80's pop music. It is his job to judge the room and play music that gets people up to dance. Very very poor and lazy, not value for money.

On returning to my room that night It was very cold as I hadn't noticed earlier that the radiators were not turned on hence the need for a extra blanket while the room and myself warmed up, only there was no extra blanket. My nights sleep was disturbed as I was woken several times by a banging noise which I presumed was coming from the corridor, on closer inspection in the morning I realised that the window in the lounge area of the room was not fastened shut and as the wind had picked up during the night it had started to rattle and bang. Try as I might I could not get it closed. [room 2 ] As I was awoken early I made my way down for breakfast as I could see from my room overlooking the function room that it had been set up plus the literature left on the bed on arrival in my room very clearly stated that breakfast was served between 8.00am and 10.00am. Now the incident that happened next still has me incredulous to this day. I was told on sitting down with a hot drink and cereal that I could not order a cooked breakfast until there was a full table on chefs orders. What an appalling way to treat a paying guest. No apology just a disinterested shrug of the shoulders as he walked off. I was left feeling an absolute fool and had to leave the room.

On my second attempt at breakfast again there was the attitude towards guests when trying to place their choice , " No variations, chefs orders" there was no continental available, no yogurts or fruit.

On a final note I just wish to clarify that although the hotel is surrounded by acres of landscaped gardens these are in fact public grounds and not private to the hotel. Also very sadly it is now surrounded by empty, fairly derelict looking buildings.

If you are considering Charlotte House for your wedding day or any other big celebration, please think very carefully before choosing this venue. The glossy brochures all look fantastic and they will promise you perfection but I am afraid that they just do not deliver every time. If you read down other reviews here you will see that they admit to getting 1% wrong. Ask yourself do you really want to take the chance of being that 1% like we were ?

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
13  Thank K_B009
Managerch, Manager at Charlotte House, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2014

This is not representative of other reviews. We encourage our potential guests to measure this against other reviews.

Reviewed 7 April 2014

Bit late as we've moved house but haven't forgotten how lovely this place was and the first class service. We stayed here on a Christmas shopping visit to Lincoln and this was ideally placed in the old quarter with cobbled streets and olde worlde street lamps. Bit difficult to find (good old sat nav!) round and round in circles to find the entrance but well worth it. Unbeknown to us the booking website had not put through our reservation - thankfully we could still be accommodated and we were immediately upgraded! Gorgeous room and bathroom (got a thing about bathrooms - this was classy). This is an interesting historical building that has been thoughtfully and tastefully transformed into an hotel. Would definitely stay here on a re-visit to Lincoln.

Can't comment on other rooms as we had just booked standard but as we were upgraded we were well satisfied. If the standard rooms are not 'tired' then we would be still happy with the whole package. The member of staff who dealt with us was exceptional.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

It always makes my day when I read reviews about the restoration of the Hotel. There was a lot of time and effort put into the sympathetic restoration of this historical building. It makes it worth while when people comment on the quality of the product that we have achieved. We will hopefully be able to welcome you back during your next trip to lincoln

Reviewed 6 April 2014

This was an overnight family get together in Lincoln. We booked into the Willis suite (7 I think)and my daughter and her partner had room 2; one of the other suites.
Because of my work I frequently stay in 4 and 5 star hotels but I must say that this hotel room was the nicest one I've stayed in for many years. Four poster... very large bed; A 40in TV and a great sound system in both the bedroom and also the sitting room. Large Bathroom with big bath and glass walk in Shower. All for £89! My daughter had a slightly cheaper suite with smaller TV's and no bath but the size was about the same as ours. She paid £79. Fantastic value.
The WiFi was free and excellent and the staff were friendly and very helpful.
This is a small hotel but its position is right next to the castle and a short walk to the Bailgate.
I would highly recommend the Charlotte House.

Room Tip: Willis Suite
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

All in all it sounds like you are delighted with the package that we currently offer. We pride ourselves on the quality and delivery of our product, your review acts to re-iterate that which we seek. Many thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts!

Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

THIS IS A VERY HONEST REVEIW OF OUR STAY AT CHARLOTTE HOUSE HOTEL.

Having booked an extra night stay the evening before the party all was well. The staff were friendly apart from the receptionist. Bedroom was a little dated with not enough wardrobe space but bed was comfortable. Bathroom was very spacious as listed. Breakfast for 2 was good.
I have listed this hotel for couples.

Things stared to go wrong on the night of the party.
PLEASE READ IF YOUR PLANNING A WEDDING OR PARTY.

It is not normal for me to complain however, I felt I needed to. I always fill in a very honest trip adviser review so here go's.....

I paid £4,316 for the sole used of the hotel for my 50th birthday party on 7th March 2014. (I know it's alot of money but it's like a wedding you only do it once!) This included all the accommodation, use of the function room, buffet, wine, & DJ till 2am.

The hotel accommodation and venue for the party was lovely and was decorated by some family members. It falls down when it comes to food, drink and staff. The receptionist was obviously stressed out by her abrupt attitude and the evening staff were inexperienced.

I paid £15pp for food for 100 people but there was only about 70 people at the party. The buffet, although it looked lovely, was not enough to feed 70 people let alone the100 people it was booked for! This means I was out of pocket! The buffet was also guarded by staff so that no one could take too much? They were only aloud 2 potato wedges each? Some people including myself did not eat and the food was only available at a certain time? The deserts were plonked down in front of the guest at there tables without them being asked what they would like. The birthday cake was cut up for guest and left in another room but no one knew about it so it had to be handed out by myself when my guests checked out of the hotel. I have organised large parties myself and find this unbelievable.

I ordered and paid 20 bottles of wine. There were only 14 bottles put out. When the staff were asked to bring out the other 6 bottles only 1 bottle came out.The other 5 never appeared. Out of pocket again!

One of the tables was taken away to make a larger dance floor however the guest were moved of into the other room and it was my daughter who showed them to another table, they felt like they had been thrown out! There was no events co-ordinator to go to all evening. The staff were obviously not capable of looking after things. The DJ turned off the music half an hour early, and when asked to turn the music back on he refused.

In the morning my guests were told that they could not have breakfast till 9.30 and that they would have to have a full table before they would be served as a group. A group breakfast was never mention and I have never heard anything like it in a hotel! People leave a hotel at different times so doing this made it awkward. The menu on the table was a waste of time. When the staff came to take our order, we were told there is no continental option and no variation to the full breakfast. Basically take it or leave it! On checkout the receptionist was abrupt with the guests leaving and checking in.

Every business is out to make money, this I understand, but to blatantly show that the package and services paid for are not what they say they are is poor at least. No one likes to be ripped off. I find it really disappointing that this sort of thing is aloud to happen when booked for someone's special day! As I see it, I over paid by at least £540
I wrote a letter of complaint to Charlotte House hotel. They offered me a free mother's day lunch as an apology but my family would have to pay! Why do they think we would pay anymore money to them when I didn't get my monies worth last time? It has been over a month since the party and I've heard nothing elce from them.

*NOW YOU WILL BE ABLE TO MAKE YOUR OWN MIND UP ON HOW YOU WISH TO PROSEED*

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
10  Thank Julie B

Apologies for the delayed response. This is the 2nd review based on the same event.

As per my previous response, we urge our potential guests to use reason in measuring our reviews as this is not reflective of our offering.