“First Class”

Staybridge Suites Liverpool
Ranked #3 of 99 Hotels in Liverpool
Reviewed 4 October 2011

Fantastic location and great hotel. Breakfast excellent!! Had a great weekend and tour experience!! Would the manager or director ring me as a matter of urgency on [...] please. Derek Gibbs

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,875)

Reviewed 2 October 2011

I recently had to stay five nights in Liverpool. I stayed in the Crowne Plaza for four nights but as soon as I was able to, I moved out (see my reveiw of that property for details). The Staybridge Suites are in a better location (adjacent to the Echo Arena and a couple of minutes walk from the Albert Dock and Liverpool One) and tend to be cheaper.

The decor in the communal areas and the suites is excellent, clean and modern. The suite itself had small kitchen area, really comfortable bed, sofa (which could become a bed), decent tv, desk area (with free wifi) and large bathroom (althought it just had a shower, not a bath). There is a small safe which unfortunately was too small for a laptop - minor point. Good air conditioning unit and also a window that opens. I had city view which gave great views of the cathedrals and other city landmarks. The opposite way would look out onto the river. It's a quiet area, not set on a busy road or anything.

There is a small shop in the reception which sells things which you can then prepare in the kitchen area in your suite - great for those that work away a lot and get sick of having to go out each night to the usual places (although there is a Pizza Express 30 seconds walk away!). The bar area has Sky Sports for those interested.

Breakfast is included in the rate and included cereals, pastries, yoghurts, breads/toast, hot food (bacon, scrambled egg, baked beans) and a range of juices and hot drinks. There's also drinks receptions some nights - the details of this were both on calendar in the suite and also on the key card wallet.

Staff were very friendly and helpful. Overall a great stay, just a shame I couldn't have got in here for the full 5 nights instead of having to put up with the Crowne Plaza. Looking forward to not only returning to this property but also Staybridge Suites elsewhere around the world.

Room Tip: Higher floor would give better view (request either city view or river view)
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank mattyc84
StayGM, General Manager at Staybridge Suites Liverpool, responded to this reviewResponded 10 November 2011

Dear Mattyc84
Thank you very much for taking time to write your review. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We are hoping that on your next visit to Liverpool you will be able to stay with us longer.
Once again, thank you very much for staying with us and taking time to write your review.
Yours sincerely,

Reviewed 29 September 2011

On arrival I parked outside the entrance, in front of the car park door, in a small area where waiting is allowed but restricted to 15 minutes. This is plenty of time to check in and obtain your room key which is needed to gain access to the hotel car park underneath. The car park costs £8 per day and you are given a slip with your room number on to display in the windscreen. If the car park is full there is a multi storey round the corner where discounted rates are available.

I had booked the hotel online four days earlier, but on arrival they had no record of my booking, and I had to produce my email confirmation to show that I had in fact pre- booked and a what rate. The very pleasant member of staff on reception sorted the problem out very quickly and I have discounted this as a one off, when giving the hotel 5 stars. I would not have been so charitable had the hotel been full.

The above problem aside, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay, our first at a Staybridge Suite hotel and we will certainly stay here again.

Our air conditioned room had a king sized bed, large bathroom, sitting area with flat screen tv and a kitchen complete with table, fridge, dishwasher,microwave, hob and plenty of utensils. Next to reception is a small shop area with a good choice of food if you fancy cooking something in your room.

We slept very well and the room was totally quiet with no unwanted noise from outside or other guests.

A great deal of thought has gone into the design of these rooms and on the whole it works well. There is some element of style at the expenses of function - the lighting in the bathroom is inadequate, the two seater settee uncomfortable and the electric hob needed 10 separate actions to turn it on full and 10 to turn it off again, without the written instructions I found in a drawer, I would not have had a clue how to operate it. I never did manage to turn the air conditioning off. All small issues which did not spoil our enjoyment.

Between 6.30pm and 7.30pm Tuesday to Thursday an "after work reception" is held for all guests in the lounge/breakfast area with unlimited free wine, self serve beer, cheese and biscuits and other nibbles. The quality of the food and drink on offer was very good indeed. Free wi-fi on the laptop,complimentary newspapers, a comfortable lounge, good company - time it right, and stock up before the bar closes and you can stretch this very pleasant experience to a couple of hours.

Breakfast was similar to a Holiday Inn Express experience but much more civilised and without the queues. Bacon and eggs one day alternating with sausage and eggs the next.
A good toast machine and a brilliant coffee machine. Plenty of cereals, fresh fruit, yogurts, pastries. A large fridge contains milk and fruit juices.Sadly the free beer pump mentioned earlier, is behind a locked cupboard ;-)

The members of staff we came across during our stay all seemed very plesant and helpful.

The hotel is situated in Kings Dock, a short walk over the bridge to Albert Dock and the museums, restaurants etc. Across the road is the new Liverpool shopping development, lots more restaurants and the city centre.

We liked the Staybridge Suite concept and can highly recommend it to others.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank stevet380
Reviewed 28 September 2011

this was my 4th stay in 2 years and i felt like i had checked into the wrong hotel.standards have fallen and the place has lost its charm.come on staybridge !

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 September 2011

A colleague and I stayed here on business for one night. Having stayed in the SS in New York, I was familiar with the concept, which attempts to give you the comfort and flexibility you have at home. I like this very much, especially in terms of the kitchenette in the room, guest laundry services and great options food-wise. This hotel is presented really nicely, and definitely gives the sense of luxury and comfort that I look for in a hotel. My colleague and I discussed over breakfast how we wished we had spent more time in the hotel due to how comfortable it really is.

Our one gripe with the place was a number of examples of staff not being particularly helpful. I noticed on the morning of our departure a notice in my room saying there was an after-work drinks reception from 6.30-7.30. It would have been nice if the receptionist had told us of this on our arrival so we could have actually gone. Check out also left me a bit annoyed because of the poor communication skills of the three staff on reception. What one of them was doing on the computer when we checked out I'm not sure, however, it took a long time and on the two occasions we asked if there was a problem, we were just told 'no'. So we stood there like lemons for 10 minutes, not being spoken to, completely unaware of why we were waiting.

I'd definitely go again because the place is lovely, but the staff could definitely do with a bit of training in basic friendliness and awareness of the customer's needs.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank BigNumber3
StayGM, General Manager at Staybridge Suites Liverpool, responded to this reviewResponded 27 September 2011

Dear Big Number 3
Thank you very much for taking the time to write your review. We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your overall stay with us.
All of our team have been recruited for their friendly, outgoing and helpful personalities. They have been trained to highest level of customer service. I have spoken to those involved during your check out, what it seems to happen was an IT problem that was causing delays on printing invoices; however they should communicated this issue, to you at the time. We have discussed this matter with our team and supervisors and rest assure, similar issues will not be happening again.
We are very pleased to hear that you are considering coming back; we are looking forward to welcoming you once again.
Kind Regards

Reviewed 25 September 2011

I was pleasantly surprised when i stayed her, the rooms very clean and had a cosy feel to it! The room had everything that is needed for a short stay, the breakfast is great, not a huge variety but they have the basics which is fine for a short stay. The location is great, the docks have many bars and restaurants, the city centre itself is not far however with the large selection of bars on the docks you may not want to venture out. Definitely would recommend staying here!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank sheena86

Dear Sheena 86,

Thank you very much for your kind comments. We are looking forward to welcoming you to Staybridge Suites Liverpool.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 25 September 2011

On arrival there's no exterior parking. You are forced to park in the hotel next doors' waiting area which is reserved for their patrons. I abandon my car there, go in to Staybridge, take the elevator to check-in level. No one at the desk. A young gent then comes from the back office - he is unwelcoming and doesn't even recognise my Platinum PC status. I ask for a parking space. Again, little communication, but I'm given my room card and voucher to display on my windscreen. I take the elevator back to the ground floor, walk to my car, drive to the car park to find it won't activate the door. Needless to say I have to reverse on to oncoming traffic and then park again in the Jury's Hotel waiting area. Elevator to first floor, no one at the desk again, young lad appears again, I explain that I can't enter the car park, he re-programs my key and says 'try that'. I shake my head and take the elevator to he ground floor, and go through the whole car/door process again. I find a space and exit my vehicle. Fortunately for me I am not disabled as there's a multi-colour wing-mirrored Vauxhall parked across the disabled bay (bearing in mind how big disabled spaces are, this driver can't actually manage to fit in it. I then look at their windscreen and find a piece of paper with 'STAFF' written on it. How rude and disrespectful is that??
I take the elevator to my room and from then on my stay is uneventful.
I leave the hotel and return later to find the Corsa still abusing the disabled parking bay.
I buy food from the pantry and cook it in my room.
Decent nights sleep.
Toiletries are well below par, dispensed from communal bottles with hygienically I don't agree with.
Breakfast sees no employees in the area so the area is generally a mess. everything dispensed from household sized packs which again, hygienically I don't agree with and allows the potential for contamination.
I check-out and leave the hotel for the last time - last time EVER.
The following night I checked in to the Crown Plaza, Liverpool which was as always a great experience.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank TrumpLasVegasNV

Dear Sir,
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. The team and I always welcome all feedback as we are constantly looking for ways to improve our services.

We are obviously all extremely distressed at your comments on our team. We take great care to employ staff that are warm and personable. I have spoken to those involved with your check in including the receptionists, who checked you in. I am truly sorry that you felt that your Platinum status was not recognised sufficiently. Our Platinum members are our most loyal guests and we of course will always try to recognise them as such.

I have also investigated the matter with the car park; we have found out that a programming issue on the gates has been causing this problem which is now rectified. As far as the staff member who parked on the disabled bay, please be rest assure that all necessary steps has been taking to make sure that this will never happen again.
I am also very sorry to hear that you did not enjoy our toiletries. A great deal of thought has gone into our brand and the focus has always been on trying wherever possible to ensure a ‘homely’ feel. As a brand that focuses on extended stay (5 nights or more) we decided that using larger bottles for our toiletries (just like you would at home) would be a nice touch and also obviously be a lot more environmentally friendly.
I am also sorry to read that you found breakfast disappointing. The complimentary breakfast has been one of the areas we get positive comments about from most of our guests. We have also recently brought in a team to improve the breakfast offering and indeed add a better variety of items

I would of course welcome the opportunity to discuss your stay in more detail with your personally, my email address is asli@liverpool.staybridge.com
Looking forward to hear from you.

Yours sincerely,