“Emotional portrayal”

Ranked #24 of 207 things to do in Liverpool
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: At International Slavery Museum you'll find out about the millions of people, both in the past and today, who have been taken into slavery, in particular those who were part of the transatlantic slave trade between about 1500 and 1865. Liverpool was a major slaving port so it is fitting that the museum is in Liverpool. The museum is on the third floor of the Merseyside Maritime Museum building. Entry is free.
Useful Information: Lockers / storage
London, United Kingdom
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Emotional portrayal”
Reviewed 15 September 2013 via mobile

I visited Liverpool and during my "what to do in Liverpool" search I found out about th we museum. More than once I found myself tearing up. It taught me a bit of history of which I wasn't aware. I'm glad I went.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank AmeriTraveller

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Milton Keynes
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Too political, not enough facts”
Reviewed 14 September 2013

The "International Slavery Museum" is on the top floor of the Maritime Museum at Albert Dock. The first thing that confronts you as you go through the door is a wall about the 1981 Toxteth Riots. Sorry but that has nothing to do with Slavery, however you dress it up with political comments about institutional racism. The few exhibits with factual information were very interesting, as were the films about the life of a slave. More should be made of this sort of exhibit. The comments from random black celebrities were unhelpful and irrelevant. Just because someone has a dark skin colour and is on TV or national Radio doesn't automatically mean they are an expert on the history of the slave trade. Fine if they are speaking directly about their own family history, but otherwise leave the politics out of museums and let people make up their own minds from the FACTS as documented by your own city records. Yes, slavery was a terrible thing and it is great that it was abolished. That point almost doesn't need making when you read the figures on your ship ledgers. But where was the information about the poor white people who were also taken on board ships to be sold as slaves? Where is the information on those who lived in Africa and sold their own people into slavery? What about the Arab slave traders? There is lots that could have been said in this museum but they wasted the wall space on irrelevant politically correct vapid comments from celebrities. What a shame, but hey, never let the facts spoil a good story, eh?

Visited September 2013
7 Thank ChupChup2013
Waterbury, Connecticut
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“History from both sides of the pond”
Reviewed 3 September 2013

On a recent visit to Liverpool, I visited the International Slavery Museum. It is a complex study of the slave trade from the British perspective. Liverpool was, in the past, a center of the slave trade within the British Empire. Although, as an American, I have always felt slavery was "our" problem, this museum opened my eyes to the consequences of slavery throughout the world. This exhibit is thought provoking and revealing in the depth of scholarship that went into the exhibits. But, it was not a stuffy presentation. There were many interactive and audio-visual parts of the exhibit that drew you into a deeper awareness of how slavery impacted many cultures and societies beyond the North and South. As a recognition of the 150th anniversary of the Civil War, there were notations within the galleries where a specific exhibit or artifact would be directly connected to our Civil War. This is a museum not to be missed

Visited August 2013
1 Thank PJWtraveler
Liverpool, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Awful staff”
Reviewed 3 September 2013

I visited the slavery museum in March 2013 on an exchange student trip. It was one of the worst experiences of my life. I was stood in a group with my fellow students looking inside one of the cases when the woman who was our "tour guide" came up to our group. She spoke to the side of us explaining things in the glass case. Before i knew it she grabbed my arm asked if i was German and then when i replied that i was one of the English students and started shouting in my face telling me that i was rude and that when someone is speaking i should look at them despite her coming not showing any signs that it was me she was talking to herself. This shocked me and made me very upset. She then threatened that if i was to continue this she would have to ask me to leave the Premises. Now i am not a rude person i am quite willing to help anyone who needs it and talk to anyone also so for her to say this too me, destroyed my confidence a lot to which 6 months on i have only just gained back. Therefore unless this woman is asked to leave i will not be returning to the museum and will also not recommend this museum to save others of receiving the same treatment as I did that day! The actual content of the museum is ok but could be better as it lacks some information.

Visited March 2013
8 Thank Steph F
UK
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Highly informative”
Reviewed 29 August 2013

The museum is situated in the Albert Dock and is definitely worth a visit. The exhibitions are well presented and thought provoking. My only criticism is it showed almost exclusively the plight of the African slave being sent to America and failed to provide any contextual information of living conditions in the UK and most of the rest of the world at that time?

Visited August 2013