“Interesting exhibition, although 'museum' is misleading!”

International Slavery Museum
Ranked #24 of 221 things to do in Liverpool
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: At International Slavery Museum you'll find out about the millions of people, both in the past and today, who have been taken into slavery, in particular those who were part of the transatlantic slave trade between about 1500 and 1865. Liverpool was a major slaving port so it is fitting that the museum is in Liverpool. The museum is on the third floor of the Merseyside Maritime Museum building. Entry is free.
Useful Information: Lockers / storage
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Definitely not a museum, it is actually part of the Maritime Museum and only takes up a floor so I would have liked more. As a bit of a history geek I was looking forward to seeing everything there and it didn't disappoint, it had some great stuff on the slave ships and some poignant videos on the treatment of slaves, as well as the effects the slave trade has on people today and the modern-day slaves. Didn't teach me anything I hadn't already learnt in school or from books that I have read but it was interesting nonetheless. Would have liked a bit more on abolition and some of it could be better explained (such as the St Helens bit - no idea what was going on there) but overall I'm glad I went.

All reviews
in 410 reviews
"information"
in 99 reviews

Reviewed 7 June 2014

This museum is part of the Maritime museum, so once again so much to see. And its Free
It is not until its there in your face, do you realise how Slavery was taken for granted. Time to reflect

1  Thank Peter R
Reviewed 1 June 2014

This museum is housed inside the Merseyside Maritime Museum (located at Albert Dock) where one floor has exhibits related to ships/maritime and the other floor is pertaining to slavery.

What I like most at the International Slavery Museum are the video/short film presentations shown at various monitors inside the Museum. They made me wonder how other human beings could do slavery practices and cruelties to other human beings. Items that appeared to be from Africa are interesting to see too. Please see attached pictures.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

Not really a museum about slavery - as a museum about African culture and its contribution to world culture it was excellent but it did not tell me anything I did not know about slavery. The section about St Helena (which was sponsored by the St Helena tourist authority) was very out of place.

2  Thank dazzahurham
See more reviews
Reviewed 29 May 2014

I really did find this a well-laid out, unbiased, interesting and informative trip. It seems like a small little museum on its own but I spent much longer than I planned to here. Really well done and up to date. I thought myself well-informed on the subject but turns out there was tons of info which I had no clue about. Some artefacts and pictures are disturbing but need to be seen, I think. There is also some gorgeous and unique art work all over the place which I really enjoyed.

2  Thank jeds6