“Slavery Exhibition..”

Ranked #23 of 211 things to do in Liverpool
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: At International Slavery Museum you'll find out about the millions of people, both in the past and today, who have been taken into slavery, in particular those who were part of the transatlantic slave trade between about 1500 and 1865. Liverpool was a major slaving port so it is fitting that the museum is in Liverpool. The museum is on the third floor of the Merseyside Maritime Museum building. Entry is free.
Useful Information: Lockers / storage
West Midlands
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 49 helpful votes
“Slavery Exhibition..”
Reviewed 14 July 2014

I thought this more of an exhibition rather than a museum, however, the content and the information was very interesting. We had looked at it previously as one of the things to do before we went and whilst we were looking around Albert Docks we decided to go in and have a look. It was very sobering and informative and if I be honest, at times I found myself with a lump in my throat, and trying not to cry. I think it is very important that this information is shared and exhibited and that it is also free, so that everyone can access it, as it is an important part of history. I also learned which I never knew before how much Liverpool was involved with slavery. Very hard-hitting, but definitely something very important.

1 Thank suitcasetraveller

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Perth, Australia
59 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 118 helpful votes
“A very interesting free day”
Reviewed 14 July 2014

How can people complain its free?? silly you are.
I went for a visit with my partner as we had heard mixed things about the place
I like visiting museums and the such on holiday to learn as much things about our past and how we all were and lived etc. this place is an eye opener indeed I am Australian but come from English decent 4 generations ago to be exact. I am ashamed after this place of how we were and how we treated the lives of people and how cheap life was to those in them days. I know it still goes on now but if you think about it in the big picture its not all that long ago. do yourself a favour and pay a visit if you really want to learn how the slave trade went on with the Americans and the Europeans its really mind blowing some of the facts you miss out in just general knowledge

2 Thank BENS1988
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Black slavery history”
Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

Not a particularly wide range of slavery covered but black chattel slavery is well covered indeed. A great museum on a little covered subject.

London, United Kingdom
147 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 187 helpful votes
“Disappointing - disjointed & badly organized”
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Important subject matter which deserves a much better presentation. It would make sense to follow some sort of time line through the museum - the background to the slave trade, it's development, the economic impact on the countries involved, rebellion by slaves - movement against slavery, impact of the banning of slavery (eg US Civil War), post slavery racism, impact of slavery on some of the countries involved, current slavery in the world and what is being done to fight it. Instead of something like this one starts with a wall of information about the Toxteth Riots in the mid 1980s and what follows is a mish mash of items, displays and videos with very little logic in it's organisation. I'm just glad we didn't have to pay to go in. A truly wasted opportunity.

1 Thank phebert
Nottingham
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 73 helpful votes
“Excellent”
Reviewed 24 June 2014

A sobering experience, horrific in places, but extremely fascinating. I never realised how much of Liverpool was built on the profits of slavery. Really worth a visit.

Visited June 2014