“Stay away!”

Ranked #37 of 70 Liverpool B&B and Inns
Poznan, Poland
“Stay away!”
Reviewed 7 May 2014

The manager of the place is the epitome of a bad manager. The service of customers is apalling. Because of Ryanair`s change of schedule, our landing time changed so that we were in Liverpool at midnight, which is 4 hours after official opening hours of the reception. We wrote an e-mail about that almost 3 months before the arrival, to which we got no reply. When I called the hotel, the manager told me he had replied (but miraculously the letter could not be found neither in my inbox, nor in my junk box). He reassured us that it`s not a problem and that he would give us a door code and the payment will be taken from my card. We made a booking through booking.com, which said payment on arrival. According to the rules of booking.com, if any problem appears with the card, the owner has to inform the service 24 hours before the estimated time of arrival so that the customer has time to find another hotel or pay in another way. Well, the owner never bothered to inform booking.com, did not answer their phone and only tried to charge my card on the day of arrival. The payment was rejected (which was strange as there was money on the card and the bank said there would be no problem processing the transaction). I called the hotel and the owner started... SHOUTING AT ME. Can you imagine shouting at a customer? I have been working in customer service for 8 years and if I just TRIED shouting at a customer, I would simply lose my job. This guy has NO IDEA about customer service. He HANGED UP on me! Can you imagine? We had to book another hotel in the very last moment, paying twice as much. A normal manager would wait for us or just let us pay in the morning - or at least made an effort to help us in any way. STAY AWAY from The Stalbridge Guest House. Stay away from this manager.

Edited info: It appeared now that he... charged my card for not being there! He could not process my card so he canceled my reservation being extremely rude and now he... took my money!

NEVER, NEVER GO THERE!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Art_Ravenwolf
stalbridgehotel, Manager at The Stalbridge Guest House, responded to this review, 8 May 2014
We at the Stalbridge Guest House are sorry and disappointed by the review you had left, As
we pride our selves by trying our hardest to make every guests stay as comfortable and satisfiable as possible.
We are a family run Guest house who live on the premises, So when making a booking with ourselves or through on-line booking agents as booking.com etc.

We clearly state " Could all guests please state estimated time of arrival" and also state our check in times "12pm to 8pm". (so we can work around guests)
In your case you never contacted the Guest House until day of arrival, an expected the staff to wait & stay behind 4-5 hours at such short notice.
We did offer an alternative way of checking in by leaving your key out but your card declined, then we contacted you and also contacted booking.com to explain your situation and you contacted me back and then explained that you needed to transfer money to that account.

So then a payment was taken like arranged by your self. Then we get a call from booking.com saying that you never needed your rooms as you had other accommodation sorted.

But like every hotel, Guest house and B&Bs if the Guest doesn't cancel with in 48 hours of day of arrival or doesn't pay or arrive with in the check in time, the company is allowed to charge for the first night stay.

You never contacted us, neither arrived at our guest house and had no intentions of either as you had other accommodation booked and also booking.com can clarify this as they tried to contact you to.
We at the Stalbridge guest house try to make every persons stay enjoyable and comfortable, and if a guest is unhappy we will try our up most to help or give a refund.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

I have just returned from an overnight stay with 3 friends. We paid for a quad room which was 65 quid for 1 night. When we arrived, I thought we'd taken a wrong turn and ended up in some derelict ghost town - borded up shops & houses, it looked like this place hadn't had a visitor in years!

Booking.com said that it was ten mins walk to the city centre. Must be a giant walking that because a taxi cost £15 and took 20 mins!

The room reminded me of an episode of prisoner cell block H. Lumpy beds with the headboards hanging off, massive cracks in the walls and looked like it hadn't been decorated In about 30 years. Vile

The owner was ok with us. We arrived at 7.30pm. 40 mins later while we were in our rooms, we heard some shouting from outside. There were 3 women who had pre paid a room online and had turned up 10 minutes late - maybe because of traffic? Because of this he refused to open the door and charged them for the room anyway leaving them with nowhere to stay on a bank holiday weekend. Lovely. He told them that the doors locked automatically after 8pm and he couldn't let them in but that was a pack of lies because we went out for a cigarette and it was opening fine then!

Check out was 10am which was really early - I suspect he does this because he knows a lot of people will be hungover from a night out and sleep in so he can charge them for that. We came down at bang on 10am. He must have been fuming haha!

So all in all - it's awful.

No breakfast, no towels. Don't turn up late to check in and don't stay later than 10am. Sounds like a halfway house!!

Spend the extra and get a premier inn

Avoid avoid avoid

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
8 Thank Kate M
We are awfully sorry that you feel this way, but we at the Stalbridge Guest House must disagree with your review. We are a family run Guest house and pride our self on making our guests happy and comfortable at all times, At the same time we ask guests upon arrival if they any questions, queries or need help please do not hesitate to ask a member of staff. Which you obviously never done.
None of our rooms are in poor condition and have recently been re-furbished. An for the out side of the premises and also the local shops and houses near by, They are all listed buildings which means no work can be done to them with out permission of the council as they are nearly 150 years old but as i mentioned the inside has been updated.

We are also flexible on time of arrivals and departures at free of charge, which is under the managers discression, but under the circumstances of what you heard was our staff defending their selves from verbal abuse by guests who think its ok to be drunk and rude and not abide by our guest house policies and was asked to leave.
And to say that there was no breakfast or towels. every time walking past our self catering diner you was making full use of all facilities and seemed happy enough when asked, all guests are told while booking that their will be a charge for towels on arrival but all guests are more than welcome to bring their own with no charge so that is your own choice.

If a guest has a problem or query while staying with us, we would expect to be notified about it while here, so we can rectify the problem or give a refund. We take all guests feedback serious

Travellers are raving about these Liverpool hotels

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 April 2014

My mother booked a room in advance 16/04/14 to be close to the airport for her flight the next day. Due to heavy traffic from Manchester arrival time was 8:15pm. We were told to push the lower doorbell as instructed and were greeted with the voice of an extremely rude man, with no empathy for someone who had struggled to be on time but was 15 minutes late through no fault of their own (my mother). He denied us access mentioning that 8 o'clock was closing time and was rather abrupt giving no other option other than for us to leave. My mum was distressed and upset as we did not know where to go. Luckily the premier inn close to the airport is much more reliable and saved the day! Albeit at a higher cost but with welcoming smiling receptionists and luxury!!

Clearly the owner was in the building as we spoke to him on the internal intercom WHY COULD HE NOT COME TO THE DOOR TO LET US IN?!? for the sake of 15 minutes! His attitude was dubious to say the least!

Is this any way to run this kind of business? I think NOT

Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
5 Thank Rebeccahf22
rubycheaks
Reviewed 29 March 2014 via mobile

We booked this hotel for a girls night out in Liverpool. It was perfect for what we wanted 4 beds in one big room. The room was clean and the beds were comfortable. It's not the ritz but you get what you pay for and for us it was just what we wanted. The manager was friendly and helpful and checking in and out was no fuss. Would recommend for groups having a night out on Liverpool.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank rubycheaks
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 4 March 2014

I went to the stallbridge "hotel" on a girly weekend with two friends recently. Upon arrival we were greeted by a very polite woman who informed told us where our room was and that a canteen was available when we needed it.

When we entered the below average room, we discovered there was no bathroom...only a shared one out in the hall. And with our luck, there was a group of men staying that weekend so there was a very awkward bathroom situation and cold showers.

The stallbridge was about a 10 minute taxi drive away from the town costing us £15 a night or about a 20-30 minute bus journey. The distance from the town certainly was NOT advertised.

Only twice over the whole 3 days did i see a memeber of "staff" (really a family of 3 living there). The second time was when we tried to get into the canteen (which is described as a coffee shop when really its just a kitchen) on the Saturday morning to make some food but it was locked, only to be informed that it was closed on weekends....i mean, isn't that when most people stay?

You also have to pay 50c for each towel you want and have to ask the invisable staff you never see at reception.

The wifi is also terrible and the town looks like its about to fall apart....except for the asda across the road...that kept us alive :)

and lastly, back onto the bathrooms which annoyed me the most, i never seen it being cleaned, there was no soap in the hand soap dispensers, IT WAS SHARED and nothing like in the pictures, and one of the toilets didnt even have a door, i mean come on!

It is literally like a hostel, a place to rest ur head, get up and get the hell out. I will not be staying there again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank jodie L
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 1 March 2014

We arrived to this "hotel" at 8:07 pm - after 2 days of driving from Hungary. We pushed the bell's button and a man told that then hotel is closed, we cannot check in.
After a few minutes we found the door open and entered.
We was 5-6 minutes alone in the ground floor, then arrived a rude man (as he said he was the owner). He louded with me (however I'm a doctor...) told me that the late arrival (7 minutes...) it isn't his problem. He received my credit card's number and CV-code from booking.com (as I think it's forbidden to give this informations to a third people) and wanted to steel the price of the room (for the big nothing) from my card. Then he called the police for us... Such as the burglars... We wanted only our room and sleep somewhere after 2 days.
This procedure was near 1 hour long... This 1 hour he could give as a key and turn to sleep...
In the advertisement he wrote that he has a car park, but he hasn't it! Liar!
The owner was very impolite, enemy, immodest... I could continue it during many lines...
This is the English hospitality, thank you! We will never stop in the UK!

• Stayed February 2014
3 Thank Agnes R
stalbridgehotel, Manager at The Stalbridge Guest House, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
We at the Stalbridge Guest House are sorry and dissapointed by the review you had left, As
We are a family run Guest house who live on the premises, So when making a booking with ourselves or through online booking agents as booking.com etc.

In your case you never contacted the Guest House at all and arrived at 10:07pm and upon arrival you was very rude and aggressive with a member of staff.

At The Stalbridge Guest House we do not tolerate any type of bad behavior towards our staff or guests and we do definitely do not tolerate any damage to the Guest House and police will be called immediately.
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 February 2014

The hotel manager was great, very helpful.

Great for airport- £6 in a taxi.

The hotel is across from a supermarket and there are a few take aways and pubs within a minute walk.

Shared kitchen is a great idea but was locked really early.

A couple of grumbles- No handwash in the shared toilets and the heating was turned off about 8pm so was very cold.

The hotel is on a main road so was quite noisy and my room was next to the entrance so could hear people coming in throughout the night/morning.

Overall, not bad but i'll be staying in the Premier Inn in future. I usually stay there for £29 amd it's right next to the airport but was double the usual price which is why I stayed here.

• Stayed January 2014