“Disappointing”
Review of Roscoe House

Roscoe House
Ranked #63 of 98 Hotels in Liverpool
Reviewed 28 May 2012

Stayed in room 202 on the 26/52012 man on reception was really friendly.went to our room at first glance was large with a separate seating area.big window which wouldn't stay open curtains that you couldn't close properly. Tv which didn't work kept losing signal and then the shower was cold. The room above us had some lads in and they were very noisy which we reported to reception. The room was clean and tidy but will not be staying there again.

• Stayed: May 2012
1  Thank pauljonesdj
CEO_RoscoeCollection, General Manager at Roscoe House, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2012

Dear pauljonesdj,

Thank you for your recent review of Roscoe House. I'm sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your stay. I have noted the issues which you raised about your shower, TV, and curtains and these issues have since been resolved by our maintenance team.

There are newer reviews for Roscoe House

Reviewed 19 May 2012

Advertising as Urban Chic this hotel is really one to be missed. The pictures that are on the website seem to be reflective of the top end rooms that they offer, certainly not what we recieved.

We arrived to a very warm welcome to find our Executive twin was infact 2 single beds in a tired looking room with a carpet looking more tired than the room. We complained that the room was advertised as 2 x King Size beds and were upgraded to a top floor room, that matched the (bed size) description online.

The room itself was average, old settee, functional table and bathroom suite that had a shower only. On using the shower, it was without and power or particular heat.

We paid a "special" rate of £72 for the pair of us, an Ibis/Travelodge that was well-overdue for an upgrade would have certainly been more enjoyable.

Great staff, poor location- I wiped my feet on the way out and wont be back.

Room Tip: Book a different hotel
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank CarricktoRome
CEO_RoscoeCollection, General Manager at Roscoe House, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2012

Dear Furses,

Thank you for your recent review of Roscoe House. I am disappointed to hear that you did not enjoy your stay.

Firstly, I would like to thank you for your kind comments about our staff. I have passed your compliments onto the team.

I note from your review that you booked an Executive Twin Room. All our Executive rooms have either One Super King Size Bed or Two Single Beds. We do not advertise our Executive Twins as having two King Size Beds. Our Exec rooms are much larger than our Classic Rooms and offer a much broader range of features. However when you enquired at our reception as to whether there was a room with larger beds available you were offered a Classic Family Room with two double beds in it which you said would be ideal for your requirements.

Moreover, while I rarely disagree with our customer's feedback I feel that your comments in respect of the cleanliness of our establishment are grossly unfair. While we do not pretend to be perfect, who is after all, we are confident that the levels of cleanliness and hygiene at Roscoe House are of a very high standard. You will note that virtually all of the reviews posted on TripAdvisor rate us as either 4 out of 5 or 5 out of 5 for cleanliness, and that many travellers use the term "Very Clean" in their reviews, something which has been highlighted on our TripAdvisor home page.

I would welcome the opportunity to personally welcome you back to Roscoe House in the future so that you may experience the high levels of cleanliness and hygiene which our property offers. To place a reservation please don't hesitate to contact our Front Office Manager and she will be happy to make the necessary arrangements for you.

Kindest Regards

Reviewed 13 May 2012

I spent three nights and Roscoe house. I had the double en-suite room. I found the room to be quite large and very comfortable. It had wifi and freeview available.

The hotel was very well situated and close to many of Liverpool's interesting spots//

The staff were helpful and pleasant.

All in all a pleasant place to stay

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank SalM77

Dear SalM77,

I'm delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and I have passed your feedback onto our team. We hope to see you again when you are next in Liverpool.

Reviewed 8 May 2012

I visited Roscoe House in May 2012 for a night's stay in Liverpool with my partner.

This review covers: reception, room, room decoration, bathroom, room comfort and location.

Reception
I found the greeting very warm and helpful, especially as I got confused about payment through Late Rooms- the receptionist explained things clearly. I completed and signed a sheet which explained the expectations of the hotel, which I found helpful.
The reception is staffed 24 hours a day and they requested that we leave the keys at the desk.

Room
I reserved an 'executive' room. This was a bedroom and bathroom with an additional room added on with a sofa, large desk and TV. This would be a fantastic room for professionals visiting Liverpool and wanting a working space.

Room decoration
The room was nicely decorated, although there was a strange mix of modern and Georgian features which I wasn't too sure off, but that is down to personal taste.
There was a large floor to ceiling window over looking the street, but this did not open even though there was a small balcony outside.
Both rooms had a TV, there was a large walk in wardrobe, 2 chests of drawers, 2 bed side tables and an alarm clock with an i-pod dock.

Bathroom
There was a nice sized bathroom with lots of lights and mirrors. The shower took some time to heat up but was very good once up to temperature.
There was only a very small shampoo and shower gel which only did one wash. However, there was a list of free toiletries and other things such as shaving kit, nail kit, sewing kit etc- so I am sure if you needed more shampoo they would happily supply. Suggest bringing your own though.

Room comfort
The room had a lovely soft carpet and felt very cosy, even with high ceilings.
The bed was not so good. The cushions were like rocks and the quilt was unbelievably this- 15 tog or more. Neither me nor my partner slept well at all as we were uncomfortable and very very hot all night- this really let the hotel down.

Location
Very very well located. Near to Bond Street which is full of lovely bars, shops and restaurants.
Only 5 minutes from the Angalican Catherdral, 15 minutes walk from the central shopping areas and 20 minutes at most from Albert Docks.

Summary
A nice hotel, but I find it hard to see why it is a 4* hotel as there were no outstanding features.

Room Tip: Executive rooms are not much more expensive and have a little bit extra space- good for professional...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple

Hi jen36s,

Thanks for your recent, detailed review. I am delighted to hear that overall you found your room to be of a good standard. We get many business travellers and our Executive Rooms have been furnished with them in mind. i have noted your comments about the weight of our bedding and have instructed my Accommodation Manager to look into this. We now offer a range of pillows and bedding which are available on request so guests may rest assured that if they have special requirements such as a lighter / heavier duvet, feather pillows etc we will be happy to accommodate these requests.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 1 May 2012 via mobile

Overall our stay was average. The hotel is in a good location within walking distance to bars and restaurants. If you're a light sleeper the road noise might be a problem but it didn't bother me too much. The first receptionist was very helpful and pleasant, providing us with a map and advice on where to go, however other staff weren't quite as polite, we weren't asked how our stay was or anything when leaving etc. Room was a bit shabby, peeling paint and hairs on bed when we arrived but over all not bad, but could definitely do with sprucing up. Huge bathroom which was a bonus but shower took a while to heat up. Also I wasn't impressed when the alarm went off waking me up a couple of times during the night.

• Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed 1 May 2012

We stayed here for one night through Laterooms with apparently a large reduction on the normal price. If we had paid the full price we would have been seriously disappointed. Our room in the basement was the standard of a basic b and b, ok but not special, certainly not 'urban chic'. There was little natural light and the view was of people's legs walking past. But it was only for one night so we put up with it. Access was via a keypad and we had to ring the bell to go in upstairs and leave our key at reception, not great on a rainy day.
Breakfast was a bit weird as others have mentioned, preordered but no plates, 1 knife, 1 teaspoon. But my real gripe about this hotel is the bond against breakages. I have never had to pay this in a hotel before. Do they think we're all vandals? Laterooms say they take credit card details for further purchases ( not quite sure what, as they didn't appear to sell anything) not that they don't trust their guests. If they have problems with visitors trashing their rooms then they should be taking it up with the police not making their peaceable guests feel unwelcome. We won't be coming back

Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank lelogthecat
Reviewed 27 April 2012

My wife and I booked by Email for an overnight stay and were put into the front twin bedroom. The room is rather dated but clean and tidy, cannot play the piano so didn't bother with it. The drink making facilities could do with some decent mugs or better still cups and saucers. We could not close the curtains properly as part of the curtains were off the ring and hanging down so we had the street lights illuminating the room all night. As" Rodney2012" and "potioncommotion" have already said there is a lot of street and traffic noise pervading the room all night. The cost of the room was very cheap so really we couldn't grumble. What I was very wary about is the £50 up front guarantee required against breakages, we knew nothing about this charge until we arrived and it's not stated on their web site. I shall keep a very close eye on my bank statements. I took numerous photos of the room and the furniture just in case when we arrived and left. First time I have been ask for a bond in a hotel. All-in-all, we got what we paid for, the room was OK, the beds were clean and comfortable, noisy at night but a couple glasses of red settled that, plus the fact that we were only staying one night ( would not have stayed for any more) and the continental breakfast was thrown in it worked out fine for us.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms on the street side, Windows NOT doubleglazed.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple