“Completely misrepresented as a luxurious, boutique hotel!”
Review of Roscoe House

Roscoe House
Ranked #62 of 97 Hotels in Liverpool
“Completely misrepresented as a luxurious, boutique hotel!”
Reviewed 9 July 2014

I booked this hotel for a long weekend stay with my husband, choosing it because it was near the city centre and in the Georgian quarter. The fact that it was billed as a four star boutique hotel with luxurious rooms led me to expect something elegant and special,
However, as soon as we opened the front door, (and you have to buzz in when you first arrive, as the door is locked - rather offputting) I noticed that the carpet was rather shabby and although there was a reception desk, it was manned by a young man in jeans and a t-shirt. Not what I expected.
Our room was 204,on the first floor at the front. It looked nothing like the elegant room featured on the hotel's website. One section of the room was for the bed, and had two windows with the venetian blinds pulled down. They looked out on to a dingy well between the hotel and the building next door. This area led into a middle section of the room, like a lobby, which housed the shower room and the tea and coffee making facilities, and there was another area of the room which housed a desk and two armchairs, and which was right at the front of the building. There were no Georgian features in the room, and it felt rather dingy, although it was clean.
We decided to have a cup of tea before we began our exploration of the city, but there was no milk, so I went down to reception to ask for some. They young guy said he'd have to go and get some fresh, so I waited while he left via the front door. While I waited, I looked at the guest book, and noted that there were several comments about lack of hot water.
On returning to our room with a jug of milk, I ran the shower, and sure enough, it was stone cold. It never got above freezing. Not only that, but the extractor fan made a hell of a racket - if you had put it on during a night-time visit to the loo, it would have woken the dead! However, that was when we discovered that the light above the sink did not work. Hey ho. Worse was to come.
The bed was comfy but the pillows wafer thin. I managed to get to sleep (I always wear earplugs) but was woken at 2 am by my husband who had been unable to sleep because of the racket that appeared to be coming from the aforementioned well between the buildings - it was the sound of rushing water, like a waterfall, and a thumping sound similar to the noise made by the extractor fan in our bathroom. It had been going on for hours, so my husband went down to reception to complain (there are no telephones in the bedroom).
The guy on reception came up, had a listen, said he'd get back to us. He didn't. At 3.30 am, my husband went back down to reception to ask what was going on. The guy said he thought it was something to do with the boiler next door (!) and there was nothing he could do about it. He also said that they were fully booked that night and so there were no other rooms we could move to. My husband had no sleep that night.
The following morning I asked the woman on reception if they were fully booked - they weren't, so she willingly made arrangements to move us to a different room. She had no idea what was causing the noise.
From then on, we were OK. We were moved to room 104 - ground floor, at the rear of the hotel. where we had peace and quiet, no noise from the bathroom extractor fan, milk with our tea and hot water in the shower.
Be warned that this is not a four star hotel. It is billed as such on the internet, but does, in fact, have four stars from the AA as "Guest accommodation" - a different kettle of fish, and to be honest I am surprised that they have these four stars. The staff are friendly and mostly very helpful, but the place is not luxurious and feels more like a hostel in some ways.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the rear of the hotel if you are there at weekends.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jemmy56

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
  • Polish first
Oundle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 July 2014

I recently spent 1 night at the a Roscoe with my sister. The room was large and the beds very comfortable but the decor, especially in the bathroom was rather tired. We also had problems with hot water and had to run the shower for almost 15 mins to get hot (ish) water - not exactly environmentally sound!
However, the hotel was reasonably priced, very conveniently situated and the staff were all very pleasant and helpful. It was fine for1 night but I probably would not return as there is a wide choice of accommodation in Liverpool.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 June 2014

I booked a room, and arrived on a late train from London, getting to the hotel at 11pm. 'We have some bad news and some good news', said the porter. The bad news was that the hotel had overbooked and for some reason my reservation was not honoured - there was no room left for me to stay. The 'good news' was that they had found another room in a place around the corner, which was cheaper. They had made no attempt to contact me in advance to let me know. The cheaper place around the corner turned out to be a hostel that used to be a hostel for the homeless! Thanks Roscoe House. So, at gone 11 I was trying to find a hotel room in a city where all the hotels were full. Had eventually to spend twice the amount to find a bed for the night in a decent hotel.

Room Tip: Don't book a room here.
Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank garedun0rd

Travellers are raving about these Liverpool hotels

Bexleyheath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 June 2014

The reception staff were very friendly and helpful. As we booked in, they changed our room from the top floor to ground floor, when they saw that I had my leg in a cast and would have had difficulties with the stairs. which was much appreciated. Lovely big room, very comfy beds and great location, as it is so near to everywhere. Water in the shower took a while to get hot, but did eventually.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 June 2014

The staff at Roscoe were very welcoming and the room clean and big. But when I tried to use the shower it ran cold - I was advised it took a while to warm up - in fact both times I used the shower it took 10 mins - not great and ironic considering the signs in the bathroom wanting guests to reuse towels to help the environment...

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

I stayed at the hotel for one night on sunday 1st June with my boyfriend as a treat.

I was greated by the very friendly receptionist, who gave me the option to check in early as my room was ready.As soon as we seen the room 105. We felt we steped back in time, very traditional with stunning high ceilings. There was also huge piano in the room, with antique looking furniture.The room and bath room was very clean,

The continental breakfast came on time as we asked for 7:00am, it was realy nice.

We Really enjoyed our stay and had a great sleep. The only one mark down was the noise outside, not the hotels fault but if it was a big problem, I would stay in a room more to the center of the building as room 105 is on the front. But overall lovely staff and gorgeous room/bathroom, very much value for money.

• Stayed June 2014
Hereford
Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

Was supposed to have stayed in a family room at Septon park hotel for two nights, but got a phone call as we arrived in Liverpool stating that they were upgrading us to a 4 * hotel.
On arrival we found the parking was at the end of a very long road, and we had very heavy luggage. We were told at first that we would have to pay for 2 days of parking, however, they agreed to pay this when we pointed out that the parking at Septon Park was free and on site.
When we got inside the hotel we were shown to two seperate rooms which once again was not what we had booked or even wanted.
Our room, room 201, i must admit was huge. There would have been ample room to have fit in two single beds alongside the kingsize bed already there. Why this wasn't done for the begining of our stay i dont know. It was stated to us the next day that a family room could be available, but by then we had already decided to move on. However, Roscoe house was not what I thought a 4* hotel would be like. For starters, the musty smell in our two rooms was not nice, and i appreciate it is an old building, built in the 1700's i believe, but would it not be nice to pop some air fresheners around the place ?. There are some areas where a lick of paint wouldn't go a miss (radiator and ceiling in room 205), and also maybe some attention to detail needed (broken bedside lamp fittings in both room 201 and 205, and lack of window fixings in both rooms. I had to roll up a towel to keep the window open and let some fresh air in. Also nice view out of window into back yard where a collection of old sinks had been discarded.
Finally, please do something about the stains on the carpet on first floor. It doesn'look very nice, and it has been commented on before by others who have stayed.
We decided to cut our stay short to just one night, as it wasn't what we wanted, booked or expected. We did however book into a Travelodge the next day which was nice and comfortable.
We appreciate that we were moved at very short notice, but our needs were not catered for.
A word of warning, if you get a call saying that you are being upgraded, before you accept and pay, have a look at what you are getting first. Like us, it just might not be what you want !
P.S room 205 ? Is it haunted !!!!!

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family