“Little gem of a restaurant.”
Review of Bar Italia - CLOSED

Bar Italia
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Central Liverpool
Wallasey, England, United Kingdom
“Little gem of a restaurant.”
Reviewed 28 July 2013

Had a wonderful meal here with 3 friends last night, Warm and welcoming service, huge choice of menu took us ages to decide but no pressure. Food was lovely. The only thing I found a little odd was some of the dishes are not priced on the menu and can work out a little expensive but most are very reasonably priced. Will need to go back several more times to work through such an amazing choice of food.

• Visited July 2013

Leicester, United Kingdom
“Deserves a better rating”
Reviewed 15 July 2013

On a recent weekend in Liverpool we were recommended Franco's on Castle Street, as my wife and I love Italian food. Not the Ask or Bella Pasta type, but real Italian food. We were not disappointed in any way. The service was excellent, the ambiance comfortable and relaxing. The servers were all professional but friendly in their approach, and were also very knowledgeable on the extensive menu. If you are going to criticise the food in an Italian restaurant, then at least have Italia food, not Prawn Cocktail and Pate, Chicken and Duck as for the prices they are clearly laid out on the menu. However my wife and I who have ate frequently at italian restaurants in this country, as well as Italy and over the world would definitely recommend this restaurant for home cooked Italian taste. We both started with the Stuffed Peppers, they were delicious. For mains my wife had Pasta al Salmone Affumicato and I had Spaghetti Matriciana. Both dishes were full of taste, and generous in their helpings, so much so we didn't have room for desert. However we were very glad we didn't order desert as we with our coffee came a platter of Biscotti with chocolates and Cape Gooseberries, also a second bowl with Grapes and Cherrys, followed by a Limoncello. What a feast!! Oh and not forgetting the whole meal was washed down with an excellent bottle of Valpolicella. All in all If our experience is anything to go by, I would happily recommend Francos Bar Italia.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank canning
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Only place to go for a real Italian”
Reviewed 12 June 2013

Just fabulous - really great meal - took the whole family for a birthday celebration and we were treated like Royalty. Can't think of a better place to eat in Liverpool

• Visited May 2013
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Absolutely wonderful. Authentic Italian, really decent prices, fantastic owner. One of a kind.”
Reviewed 25 March 2013

Franco's Bar Italia really is a stand out in this day and age of poncy, pretentious restaurants! To start with, the owner Franco is truly one of a kind, a wonderful old 'scousified' Italian who oversees everything and makes you feel truly welcome. The menu is extensive- everything you could wish for in fish, meat, pizza and pasta dishes all of which are reasonably priced. Lovely little extra touches of fruit and biscuits with coffees and limoncello at the end. The wine cellar is a winner. The restaurant itself is not to small to feel packed in and watched, but not too big as to be heartless. It has a couple of little rooms off the main room ideal for business meets, or big nights out for the girls or boys! A lovely fire also burns in winter. I really do believe this place is all things to all people: I have eaten here with 3 generations of my family, for a romantic meal with the other half, for a lunch with friends and their little ones and for a big girl's night out and it never disappoints on welcome, food or atmosphere. This is the joint that all the other "Italian" restaurant workers flock to when their inferior establishments close for the night

• Visited March 2013
3 Thank Emma P
Leicester, United Kingdom
“Nice setting, good service, average food, over priced”
Reviewed 24 March 2013

I went to Bar Italia or Franco's on a Saturday night in March, and we did book. On arrival we were shown to our seats promptly, and for thereon the service was immaculate - the staff were very attentive.

The setting was to our liking, and although our seats were next to the door it was not too distracting and there were no draughts (it was freezing outside) as access is down some steps. The setting is comfortable, cosy and there is a nice ambience. No bright lights, echoes and loud music - a relaxing environment.

We both had starters, and main course - no desserts. I had three bottles of Peroni (no draught lagers), and my partner had a diet coke. Complimentary bread and butter was provided. The starters were great and the portions were generous - we had prawn cocktail and chicken liver pate. The mains were not so good. My partner had chicken breast in a tomato based sauce - the sauce was lovely, but the chicken breast was not very tender. I had duck in orange sauce and again the quality of the meat was lacking, but the sauce was nice. We were each given seasonal vegetables in a small dish and in both the cauliflower and broccoli was under cooked and hard. In contrast to the starters I would make the comment that the main courses were not overly generous in portion sizes and if we had not had starters I think we would have been left a little hungry.

For two starters, two mains and four drinks the bill was £65, and to be honest definitely not worth it; I would have been happy to pay between £45 and £50. The duck at £22.95 is frankly extortionate.

I would personally not recommend it on value for money. I do not mind paying good money for good food, but sadly this was not the case at this establishment.

• Visited March 2013