“Could have been good, but service poor” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hampton by Hilton Liverpool/John Lennon Airport

Hampton by Hilton Liverpool/John Lennon Airport
Ranked #27 of 99 Hotels in Liverpool
York, United Kingdom
“Could have been good, but service poor”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2012

I stayed here with 2 business colleagues, just for 1 night. Apart from the quirky parking on level 5, and my hotel room starting with a 3 on floor 8, the property looked modern, stylish and attractive. Upon entering an empty reception, to check in, a very young receptionist looked at me, and mouthed 'just a second' as she picked up the telephone - what a welcome! Apart from looking disappointed, I tried to remain calm and unphased. As she put the phone down, I started to speak, and once again, she picked up the phone and answered it. When this happened a 3rd time, and she walked off, I was seriously upset, at which point another one of the reception staff appeared from a back room, and checked me in. Arriving at the room, I was pleasantly surprised. The room was spacious, modern and clean (although the design of the ceramic floor tiles looks like someone spilled sand on them!). The room had everything you could need, and everything in its place - very well thought out. However, on closer inspection, the TV took about 10 minutes to set up just to see a tv channel (every time you switch it on), and when it came to bedtime, the bedside clock had such a strong yellow glow, the room was illuminated. Also the air conditioning fan in the ceiling made more noise than a 1954 morris minor starting up, so much so that I had to turn the air con off. The bed wasn't overly comfortable either, with the bed being quite short, and not too well sprung. Breakfast was a real non-event, with few staff visible, used tables not cleared, and food mediocre at best. Checking out was equally underwhelming, at no point did anyone ask if all had been ok, or had I enjoyed the stay? Like I say, service poor, staff disinterested, if it was my hotel, I'd sack them all and start again with a team who cares. I won't go back.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (278)
  • Polish first
North Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2012

I accidently made an error and booked this hotel when I was supposed to be staying somewhere else. 10 minutes later I tried to cancel and continued trying every day for three weeks. They refused to cancel my reservation. The general manager would not talk to me on the phone, never responded to any of my e- mails and ignored all of my messages. I called everyone I could in the Hilton organization and they charged me $1200 for a stay I never had. I have been a Hilton Honors member for 30 years, most of that time a diamond member. I would not recommend anyone staying in this hotel.

1 Thank cgarrison
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2012 via mobile

Food isn't great, i had luke warm soup, i had a can of Guinness as well :( it's clean, 2 mins from terminal. Staff are nice. Breakfast was ok, hot food was poor, eggs were dried up, bacon tastes funny but some nice fresh fruit and bread. I'd stay again but eat out!

• Stayed April 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Scunthorpe, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2012

We chose this hotel for its location and served a continental breakfast at four in the morning. The hotel and rooms were very clean and modern and i would stay here again without hesitation. Best of all its less than five minutes from the terminal buiding.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank cheerzeazyd
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2012

We stayed a couple of nights here while in Liverpool for a wedding. It is not very convenient for the City but it's right across the road from the terminal building at the Airport, much closer than some of the so called "airport" hotels. The bus from central Liverpool at about 22:45 on a Saturday night was £2 each and took about 40 minutes - the restaurant manager had tried to call a taxi for us but there was nothing available from the four or five companies he tried. The hotel is built on top of the Short Stay car park. On the top parking floor is a small reserved hotel parking area and I'm not sure but think you can park elsewhere in the Short Stay car park - it's just not so convenient - I'd ring to check if I was going again. There are deals so the hotel reception deal with the parking ticket which then allows you out of the car park. If you leave on foot you have to go out of hotel reception, turn left out in the open for about 10 yards and then left again into the covered area with separate lifts to the ground and other car park levels.
Our room was on the top floor and had a pleasant view over the Mersey with Liverpool visible in the distance. The room was a reasonable size, bed comfortable. Breakfast was included and was standard fare and reasonably good. We also had an evening meal in the surprisingly large lounge area. The meals where perfectly acceptable withpout being very exciting. The staff were a definite plus and were all pleasant, cheerful and helpful.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2012

This is directly opposite the airport entrance and great for an early morning flight! Rooms are comfortable and spacious, and I was overjoyed to find that there were electrical sockets everywhere! Many (much more expensive) hotels have very few sockets for electrical items and charging phones etc can mean leaving them at the other end of the room. I use my phone as an alarm but also want to charge it overnight; this hotel had so many options (15 electrical sockets in total) that I was spoilt for choice. Those little things are important when you travel regularly.

The breakfast was a well stocked buffet and it would be impossible to go away hungry! We didn't eat in the hotel in the evening so can't comment on the food menu any other time. This hotel chain supplies shower gel, shampoo and conditioner and body lotion. A real bargain as the price included breakfast and the upfront payment offered us a rate of under £60 a room. Brilliant value!

United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2012

My wife and I were attending a wedding in Liverpool over the weekend of the Grand National and the Liverpool/Everton Cup Semi-Final. I know the latter was at Wembley but that meant that half the taxi drivers in Liverpool were absent down at the match. This airport hotel was the only one left with enough room to book in wedding guests from far and wide. It is easily accessible and with on site parking in the multi-storey car park opposite the airport terminal is more suited to holiday travellers catching a flight than a weekend break in Liverpool. Taxi to the city centre is £14 each way and we were told hackney cabs charge twice that. There are of course regular airport buses.

The hotel itself is new and comfortable with a shower in the room and a good TV. We didn't eat there but availed ourself of the bar on our first night there. I like a proper pint of real ale but the keg Boddingtons which was available was quite palatable and the surroundings were comfortable for a large number of wedding guests.

Off to the wedding the next day so just used the room for sleeping and had breakfast. I would guess that breakfast is not normally so busy with our wedding party and Grand National visitors having to queue in the smallish buffet area. It wasn't too bad and the breakfast was pretty good with a Full English on offer and the kids raved over the cupcakes on offer. Staff were helpfuland friendly and we would definitely stay again if we were jetting off somewhere as reasonable rates are available with parking thrown in.

Room Tip: Don't worry you don't hear the planes wherever you are situated