“Comfortable, friendly and very very weird.”

Hilton Liverpool City Centre
Ranked #38 of 97 Hotels in Liverpool
GreenLeadersGold level
Canterbury, United Kingdom
“Comfortable, friendly and very very weird.”
Reviewed 2 February 2014

It could almost be the script from a movie; the hotel that changes character after dark. . .

You always think you know what to expect from a Hilton, but that doesn't quite hold true here. Check-in was a breeze, with a quick, efficient and friendly service. Probably the warmest welcome I've received at check-in at any hotel I've ever stayed at. This was a mark across Liverpool for the whole weekend, we were welcomed in a similar vein everywhere, it was very refreshing.

The room was nice, a decent size, the bed was large and comfortable, the bathroom well appointed and all was spotlessly clean. I must say that the shower was excellent. There were one or two minor chips in the paintwork, but in a busy hotel you'll see that from time to time, if the areas needing a touch-up were more numerous it would be cause for concern. The TV as mentioned in other reviews, is slow to get going and isn't the most user friendly, but I don't go to a hotel to sit in and watch TV.

As a guest we got a discount for breakfast which wasn't included in the room rate (we got a 33% off rate for the weekend stay through their website) but still came in at £9.95 per head. We didn't sample that, electing for a cafe just across the street which did a full English for £5, which was OK, but no more.

Anyhow; having been out in the evening for some dinner, we came back on the Friday night to find the hotel bar was heaving, with loud music pumping out. The same was true on the Saturday night when we got back in from some friends' engagement party. We brought another couple from the party back with us, saying 'you've got to see this.'

The bar of the Hilton is one of Liverpool's hottest nightspots, and we decided to join the revellers for a period on the Saturday. It was crazy, loud, boisterous, brash and completely without inhibition. The Scousers take partying as seriously as their football, the atmosphere was great, the costumes and make up stunning, it was very very bizarre and superb fun. If you can, go with it, you'll have a great time. If you can't go with it, don't feel intimidated, it was excellent, and in our room on the 4th floor we couldn't hear a peep from ground level.

We'll be back to Liverpool to attend the wedding, and will probably visit again in between, we'll be heading straight for the Hilton. We loved it for the sheer craziness.

Room Tip: If you're concerned about noise from the partying downstairs, you certainly can't hear anyth...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank snowolf
Sophie H, Front Office Manager at Hilton Liverpool City Centre, responded to this review, 3 February 2014
Dear snowolf,

Thank you very much for such a lovely and enthusiastic review of Hilton Liverpool. We are extremely happy to hear that you not only enjoyed the warm welcome but also the environment in the Bar.

I sincerely hope to see you again in the near future and we look forward to welcoming you.

Sophie Hartley

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (495)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Newcastle upon Tyne, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 January 2014

This is a strange hotel. Very odd.

I was allocated a smoking room, I didn't even realise such room were still allowed. It stank, it was disgusting. I requested a change to a non-smoking room only to be told that would not be possible as the hotel is full. Thankfully a manager stepping in and all off a sudden I was found a normal room in a matter of minutes. Why was I lied to when I first raised the issue?

The room was fine, spacious but bland. The TV system, a nightmare and slow, very slow. What is wrong with just normal TV channels? But no, you have to have this stupid welcome screen that takes an age to take you to what you want. Room and bathroom were clean, bed comfortable. Air condition system a pain (aren't they always?).

Where do I start with the hotel bar? All I wanted was a coffee and to crack on with some work, why oh why they insist on the dim lighting, strange colours and blaring dance music out in the middle of the afternoon is beyond me. Awful doesn't even come close.

The breakfast was average at best, average buffet fare. Why the need to play dance music at breakfast? It really isn't what you want to hear at 7.30am when you are gearing yourself up for a big day ahead of work. In fairness this only happened one morning of three.

Hilton used to be decent hotels, sadly I am now often left disappointed. I will not be coming back.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Dear Greg T,

I am extremely grateful that you have taken the time to provide us with your feedback and to advise us of the challenges you encountered during your stay. I would like to offer my sincere apologies at the outset for any inconveniences you experienced.

Hilton Liverpool is committed to providing our guests with the highest quality services and facilities. Our team sincerely regret that we fell short of our goal to make this a completely successful visit and I would like to reassure you that your feedback is taken into consideration when looking at ways to excel on our Guests future stays.

If you wish to discuss your experience further with me, please feel free to contact me direct.

Powys
Reviewed 29 January 2014 via mobile

Just returned from a lovely stay at the Hilton. Hotel was clear and comfortable but the best thing about it was the very friendly staff who always took time to talk to you and made you feel very welcome. This was our first visit to this hotel which is perfectly located for shopping and sightseeing .
We enjoyed a lovely evening in a booth in the Pima bar on Saturday night which was very lively but also very private in the booth.
We wanted a lovely relaxing stay and that is exactly what we got.
One last thing, we stayed in an executive room with access to the executive club lounge - highly recommended with excellent service and friendly staff
Thanks to everyone for such a wonderful stay

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Sophie H, Front Office Manager at Hilton Liverpool City Centre, responded to this review, 30 January 2014
Dear shoes-handbag,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave such wonderful feedback about your stay with us at Hilton Liverpool.

I am extremely happy to hear that you felt the Hilton Team exceeded your expectations and made your stay so enjoyable.

I really hope to welcome you back to the Hotel again in the near future.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 January 2014

Our children paid for my husband and I to have a night away, we were so looking forward to this break. The room was very clean but not what I would expect for a four star hotel. We discovered there was only enough milk left for a cup of coffee each and two sachets of coffee or we would have to have decaf. The room was very hot so when we lowered it to the lowest setting and put the fan on it kept us awake. The man in the adjourning room woke us up at 2 and then again 5. When I asked for more milk as we went out for the evening they said housekeeping would bring more up, on our return it was just thrown into the cupboard and not placed there. Overall we enjoyed the break but disappointed as my expectations for such a prestigious hotel were not met. We stayed in a Bed and breakfast in Edinburgh and it was a quarter of the price but it was spotless and we felt valued as a customer. Customer relations needs improving. We purchased a voucher for our parking and that didn't work so had to go the Q Park car park office to sort it out.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Maria H,

Dublin
Reviewed 26 January 2014

Cost a little more than most other hotels in the area but worth the extra expense to be honest. The rooms are lovely and clean and the food is top notch. The bar downstairs on a saturday night is good fun!! I have stayed here a lot recently on business and most recently before christmas for pleasure and have never had any real complaints. Will definitely be staying here again soon.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Dear dandctravellers,

Thank you for taking the time to leave such fantastic feedback regarding your recent stay with us at Hilton Liverpool.

I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and you enjoyed the environment in the Pima Bar.

I sincerely hope we are able to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Sheffield
Reviewed 26 January 2014 via mobile

We've stayed here a few times, now. The staff are always friendly and helpful and rooms are always clean and well equipped. Under the HHonors scheme, we tend to get upgraded to an executive room and have access to the executive lounge which is fantastic to relax in and unwind. The gym is a fair size and hosts a reasonable array of cardio equipment and free weights /weight machines. The only let down with this hotel is late evening on a Friday & Saturday night, the bar on the ground floor becomes a kind of 'night club' which is open to the public which is generally quite loud and can sometimes be heard in the rooms. Overall, however, I would recommend.

• Stayed January 2014
Dear LouFS,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback regarding your stay at Hilton Liverpool.

I am extremely happy to hear that you not only enjoyed your stay with us but you feel valued as a loyal guest.

I sincerely hope to welcome you back to the Hotel again in the near future.

shropshire
Reviewed 26 January 2014 via mobile

This is the 4th time we have stayed in this hotel, so that must say something.

The location is excellent, car park close by and about a 15 min walk from Lime St station.

Check in was efficient and friendly, the room was spacious and well appointed, overlooking the dock.

During the evening, there seemed to be a huge masked ball (great people watching!) but there was no disturbance to the residents whatsoever.

The hotel is not cheap, but having said that, Room rates do seem to be quite high in the city, so it is comparable.

One small gripe, although it doesn't really cause us a problem as we are fortunate to be Hilton gold card holders, is the lack of free wifi in the rooms. I do believe that in this day and age, it's really a pre-requisite for many.

On the whole, I can't do anything but recommend this hotel above others in the city.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Sarah J, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Liverpool City Centre, responded to this review, 29 January 2014
Dear Awj,
Thank for such fantastic feedback regarding your stay at the Hilton Liverpool. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your time here at the hotel and in the city.
If you need any assistance in the future, please contact me directly.
Warmest regards,