“amazing service”

Hilton Liverpool City Centre
Ranked #38 of 98 Hotels in Liverpool
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 20 January 2011

After travelling all day to be greeted by our receptionist,( from London herself). she explained areas to see around the city and because concierge were busy she helped us carry luggage to the rooms. going out of her way in any way she could she even printed off a discount voucher for a nereby eatery , and called to make sure we could get a table.she was absolutey fanastic, a total credit, throughout the stay no matter how busy she was she was always polite! she seemed to live there! on the ground floor desk and up in the lounge?? that night after dinner we sat up and had drinks in the bar on the groud floor, the bartender (Kieran) made us a special cocktail as we didnt like alot of ingredients in the other drinks on the menu, the stock was short but he went and spoke to the chefs to get some other goodies.

we had a fanastic stay all the staff seemed happy, breakfast was hot and service on time. Needed more cash to tip across the hotel, no idea how one guest found egg shell in the eggs as even i could tell they are powered eggs and when I asked why i was told its a health and safety issue,

will come again

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (3,007)

Reviewed 16 January 2011

Our stay was fantastic, the hotel is in a great location near the Albert Dock and Liverpool One and the hotel is clean and furnished very nicely, very contemporary.

Our room was spotless and everything functioned correctly with no complaints. The views over the city were great and the bed was comfortable.

The concierge was friendly and professional and there was plenty of staff at Breakfast, which was good quality.

If I had to pick a fault, it was that the reception staff were very corporate and not friendly, but apart from this, our stay was excellent.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mark B
Reviewed 7 January 2011

This is a bit of a sad review, as I was really hoping to love this hotel. It has all the potential to be the number one hotel in the city, but is let down by a long list of silly little problems that seem to show a lack of attention to detail. None of these would be worth mentioning if they were a one-off.

We stayed for 3 nights in an Executive Suite, no 730. Liverpool FC had NOT been playing at home the night before.

We drove up to the hotel at approx 16:30. First problem, no doorman or porter. I left my husband in the car and went to check in. The receptionist greeted me as “Mrs Smith”, which is not my name. She then pretended she hadn’t said it. She then informed me the room was not ready, despite check-in being from 15:00. This was particularly distressing, as my husband had been ill with the winter sickness bug, and just wanted a lie-down somewhere quiet.

We unloaded the luggage onto a trolley, and a porter eventually appeared to wheel it into the luggage store while my husband parked the car. We were then directed to the Executive Lounge to wait until our room was cleaned. An hour later we eventually gained access to it – 2.5 hours late. No porter around again when we collected the luggage, so my husband took it to our room.

The suite was quite reasonable, a decent size and with a nice view of the park. Or the view would have been quite nice, except that the inside of the window was absolutely filthy. It was covered in hand-prints and greasy head-prints, and was quite disgusting.

I gave the windows a bit of a rub with a paper tissue, then looked for a bin to put it in.
No bin or wastebasket in the entire 4 rooms. Apparently when staying at the Hilton you throw your rubbish on the floor. I asked at Reception for a wastebin and a lady from Housekeeping came to the room immediately. She said “oh, you don’t have a bin”, then left, and that was the last we saw of her. I asked again the next day and one was eventually delivered to the room.

The focus of the living area when you walk into the suite is a large square table. Ours had footprints on it, as well as several permanent rings from cups.

The sitting room and bedroom were on different air conditioning controls. It is not full air-con, but it can be varied 3 degrees up or down from whatever the hotel have set it on as default. Unfortunately, the air-con in the bedroom was set on hot, which meant it was 22 degrees, too hot to sleep the first night (with no opening windows). Next day, we asked for someone to fix it, and someone came and pressed some buttons on the control. I did point out that at 3am that morning I had pressed ALL the buttons on the handset several times, but he insisted it just needed resetting and would now settle down. Approx 7 hours later, with still no change, we complained again. There was nothing to be done in the room – I suspect it needed a man with a hammer – but the hotel did turn the default setting down a little. It was still too hot in the bedroom, so we eventually just turned the air-con off, and left the one in the sitting area on cold and opened the doors.

We had quite a large amount of money with us, and wanted to leave it in the safe when we went out. Unfortunately, the safe wasn’t working. Called Reception, were told someone would be up in 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, Reception rang and we were told someone would be within 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, I rang again, and were told they were on their way. Waited another 30 minutes, still no-one came, so we gave up.

The last morning we were woken by someone knocking on the door (ignoring the Do Not Disturb we had on) with Room Service. This would have been fine, but we hadn’t actually ordered any room service.

A summary of other problems, in no particular order:
Coffee machine in Executive Lounge works sporadically “we’ve reported it to the manufacturers but it still doesn’t work”
We left laptop recharging in room, staff unplugged it
No tongs for ice, despite requesting on first day of arrival
One lamp didn’t work. Investigated, found bulb hadn’t been screwed in properly
Crockery mismatched – given sideplate as saucer
No breakfast card, so even if we wanted it in the room, that was tough
Maid entering without knocking
No robes or slippers in suite until we asked for them
Ordered room service once. No seasoning on food, and none provided. Even McDonalds can manage a salt sachet. Looking at other trays, this seemed standard. I am assuming tomato ketchup would have been wildly extravagant
No offer of newspaper at check-in
Had to request for the mini-bars to be unlocked, despite having left a deposit
Shower starting to smell on 2nd day, and definitely whiffy on 3rd day, of stagnant water

As I say, these were nearly all small, silly problems which would be easily fixed. The fact that the Hilton just didn’t bother to do so, even when requested, was a real disappointment. This could be a quality 4 star hotel, yet it seems to be driving itself down to 3 star.

The hotel building itself was quite nice, with a great location. The Executive Lounge was generally fairly well stocked with food and drink, though due to illness we didn’t use it much. The staff seemed very mixed, with some being extremely good and others appallingly bad.

We didn’t try the restaurant – we did try once but despite there being only a small selection of main courses, the flagship dish – Scouse – was off and was apparently going to be off for the next few days. It was unclear whether they were short of lamb, potatoes or cabbage for this, or whether the food was pre-prepared and then reheated, but we decided to eat elsewhere. There are numerous restaurants within a short walk of the hotel, so this isn’t a problem.

Parking is £9.00 if you park yourself, and though is a little awkward the first time its fine after that.

We stay in a lot of hotels, so I guess we know what to expect, but this hotel is not delivering.

3  Thank Lawrenson
Reviewed 5 January 2011

I would say that this Hilton is by far the most stylish Hilton I have ever seen!!! It does look phenomenal and I would say its more a boutique style hotel.

I initially went there for Breakfast with a business partner and was disgusted by their slow service: On several tables,there were still the plates from guest eating before their and our table wasnt served or looked after while being there for 1,5 hours.

Worser than this was that I had to find little pieces of the shells in the eggs plus one of the tomatoes was unsound.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank maCurie
Reviewed 1 January 2011

I booked this hotel as a surprise birthday present for my partner during the Hilton January sale. I could only afford one night but we planned a fun-filled evening around Liverpool. Unfortunately, the welcome from receptionists on arrival and when settling the bill on departure was on the aloof side.

The room was clean and the bed was amazing, I didn't want to leave it! The floor to ceiling windows ensured lots of light. I was rather surprised that the superior King-size room that we booked was the same as a standard sized room, apart from a larger bed.

I would recommend to friends but wouldn't pay the full amount for what we got.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 December 2010

Stayed one night to visit friends in Liverpool.

Great location right in the middle of the city centre, close to shops, bars, restaurants and all the sights.

Great room. Decent size. Clean and comfortable. Huge bed - very comfortable. Good modern, clean bathroom, although water pressure on the shower wasn't great.

Quick check-in and out. Staff we encountered were all friendly.

Big queues for the Q-Park car park that you can use for the Hilton, so just pulled up and used the valet parking service. Not cheap at £21 (+ another £9 for the overnight car parking fee), but couldn't be bothered queuing with all the people heading in for the shops.

Breakfast buffet was good, decent selection and the busy dining room was well staffed and managed (liverpool had been at home the night before, so the hotel was busy with football tourists).

Would definitely recommend.

Reviewed 16 December 2010

We got a great deal to stay at this hotel Friday & Saturday night, bed & breakfast with a 3 course meal & wine on the first night. Unfortunately, we weren't well enough to go down for the free meal , but we did have room service, which was very good.

The staff at this hotel are all friendly, polite & helpful. We ran out of milk in our room & instead of bringing the usual little UHT cartons they brought us a jug of fresh milk up.

The location couldn't be better & it was really Christmassy too, you could see the hustle & bustle of Chrismas shoppers & the Christmas markets out your window (or you could choose to draw the curtains if you want to get away from all that!).

This was our second stay here & each time we visit we love it a little bit more. Give it a try you won't be disappointed!