“Good return”

Good for: Groups, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Central Liverpool
Reviewed 13 August 2014

We travel via Liverpool once a year and always visit the little gem, if you've not been you are missing a hidden gem. Excellent italian food beautifully prepared and served, never had a poor meal.
Some of the staff have very dry senses of humour so be prepared, a great dinning experience

2  Thank lofthopper
Write a ReviewReviews (1,702)

998 - 1,002 of 1,702 reviews

Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

I went here for my hen do. Restaurant itself was nicely decorated and looked the part. I asked for 2 starters as a main and was bought 1 as a starter even though nobody else was eating one. My friend then got sent the wrong pizza and instead of exchange it they tried to pretend it was what she ordered and pointed to the herb on the pizza as rosemary even though it was clearly not and the pizza was supposed to come with mushrooms and it didn't have that on either. Another friend couldn't eat the chicken as it tasted like rubber. When she complained to say it was tough she got told that's what chicken tastes like! We then got overcharged as they didn't take the deposit off the meal price so I had to go back the next day to collect with no apology for the inconvenience given this was my hen do. Ive been to the San Carlo in Manchester and it was much better. This was a waste of space.

1  Thank Carriebo1802
Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

This restaurant came strongly recommended so I was a little disappointed by the experience. The pasta main was ok but for the price I was expecting better but the starter was a real let down. I had the seafood pancake (mostly out if curiosity) it was both extremely hot and bland which suggested that it was microwaved.
The service was a little irritating on two counts 1) we were asked if we were ready to order within in two minutes which was no where near long enough to get through such a long menu. 2) my dessert wine didn't come with my dessert.
I think they should think about reducing the number of items on the menu so everything can be fresh and the customer has a chance to read it.
Overall, the food is ok but for the price I would expect a lot better.

1  Thank Neil D
Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

I booked a table for 4 of us 2 couples on a Saturday night. My friends warned me that if we arrive early don't let them take you to the table too quickly so I asked to sit first in the bar area. It was very lively and busy. Typical Italian style place with lots going on. We eventually were shown to our table which was probably the worst in the the place. Right by the busy bar and serving area and right opposite the toilets. I asked to be loved to a better table and in fairness we got one right in the middle which was much better. The menu is very good lots of choice. I ordered lobster ravioli to start which was a lot smaller portion size than the others but very tasty. My main was a special, king prawn and monk fish skewers. They were very nice but I found the monk fish a bit sparse for the price. The potatoes were very nice.
The waiters were pleasant if not a little keen. They took drinks away that were not quite finished and even whipped away a bottle of wine which wasn't quite drained. Our mains took a long time to arrive. Which we didn't mention as we were chatting but it was a little bit too long to be fair although they were busy.
We didn't feel rushed, the food was good but overall perhaps it is slightly pretentious but a fun and lively place. May go again in the future.

Reviewed 9 August 2014

Had a lovely meal for our anniversary, the drinks can be a bit on the expensive side, £29.50 for Prosecco, but nevertheless, the food and service were great and the Prosecco was very nice. It's been a while since we went there, and it was as good as we remembered. We chose it as only one of a couple of restaurants we could think of to really dress up for on a Tuesday night