“Wish I wasn't here!”

O Tooles Guest House
Ranked #62 of 70 Liverpool B&B and Inns
“Wish I wasn't here!”
Reviewed 28 October 2013 via mobile

We so wish we had looked on trip advisor before booking this. On the actually booking site it looked better than it was. I can't believe the cost of the night for staying there, in a pokey room, where the TV didn't work, the shower plug kept gurgling, we had to ask for towels and apparently we were too late to order breakfast. The room and service was certainly not worth what we paid. Will not be making a return visit even if someone paid me. Thankfully we still had a great time in Liverpool and were able to laugh about the room and decor on our journey home. Don't do it, book somewhere else. Its like the wild west there.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Fiona W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Reviewed 15 August 2013

O'Toole's B&B picture it if you will a lovely little Irish run family business with a warm and friendly atmosphere, Now forget it! I'll admit from the get go that we were foolish not to look for reviews of the joint on here but in our defense we're new at this.

We made the booking through Booking.com, Who to give them credit were helpful throughout the whole ordeal.

On arrival it was not what we expected, it was different to the pictures taken on booking.com and was crowded with empty buildings, the area was eerily quiet with two black doors on the building one at either end, We entered through the pub entrance to be greeted with a dark empty bar the only light seem to come from the laptop that seated one of the most abrupt people I've ever had the misfortune of meeting. She was rude from the get go, taking our id's for photo copies with no explanation as to why she was doing this she handed over the key's and told us to go through the other black door this key would open it our room was at the very top.

My friend and I were very dubious due to how run down the area seemed the woman did nothing to reassure us. As we placed the key into the lock the door shifted half an inch without us actually turning the key we had a bad feeling from the moment we got out of the taxi. The stairs were a death trap in all honesty you could barely place your foot on a step before you ran out of actual step, they were narrow and steep, God help anyone planning to go out drinking and come back to tackle them. The building itself was creaky fair enough it seemed old enough but it only added to our discomfort of being two young girls on our own.

The room itself was small with and en-suite bathroom that smelt off damp, there were no towels upon leaving we saw that these were extra, what next charging you for a bar of soap? The double bed ate up the room and looked like it had seen much better days, leaning against it the bottom half of the bed shifted ready to fall apart if you ask me, The decor was stuck in the early 80's but that was nothing in relation to the condition of the actual room. The TV didn't work, there were dirty marks on the wall, a window that wasn't double glazed and stuck open, poorly looked after. I joked with my friend that they couldn't even hang a hook peg straight when I realized the building was actually subsiding!?

The place is one phone call away from being shut down, or at least it should be.

We didn't feel safe there, and so we decided the best thing to do was leave. The entire time we spent in that room was ringing every hotel in Liverpool city centre for another place to stay. The only useful thing to come from this hotel was a card for a local taxi firm who said himself didn't know the place even existed.

Wrongly on our part we left without going back to the rude woman inside the pub, So later I rang her to get the ball rolling on a refund (we weren't about to pay out twice for a one night stay) She answered the phone with a mumble not mentioning the hotel name I had to check I had the right number but when I asked she confirmed I went on to tell her that we had left not happy with the room naturally she asked what was wrong so I went on to list the complaints, The door being my main concern, she denied that anything was wrong with it I argued my point and she seemed eager to get off the phone she didn't take my name I asked her surely she needed this to know who I was and to get the refund rolling she told me we were the only guest for this weekend and that there were only 3 rooms to start with, not surprising to find out no one else was staying there.

It all seemed straight forward from then and we would just wait for our refund, oh no we had a constant back and forth with booking.com we told them we had no refund O'tooles told them they had refunded us, 3 months later we finally got our money back.

Don't ever stay here!! Honestly I wouldn't want anyone to go through what we had to.

Utter joke, the place needs shutting down.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends

Travellers are raving about these Liverpool hotels

Oldham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 July 2013

Where can i start?

Firstly no taxi driver even knows where this place is! It took us forever to actually find the sesspit in the taxi, once we got there we were like "is this actually the place??" Just awful.

Once we got there we were greeted by a woman who makes janet street porter look like the happiest woman alive. She took our id off us and photocopied it and then shoved the keys in our hand and didnt even show us to our room.

The b&b bit is in a different building to the "Wine Bar" we walked out of the wine bar and into the sesspit. The door leading into the b&b isnt safe. When its locked if someone kicked the door they could easily get in. We got into our room and it was just vile. It looked more like a chapel of rest than a room. The bed sheets looked if you patted them then dust would just come pouring off it! The bathroom was disgusting, there were no towels or anything! Just vile. The windows wernt double glazed and were basically falling to pieces. The TV didnt work! In the end we ended up paying £100 to stay in another hotel. It took us going on 4 months to get a refund, they refunded the money into my account, printed the refund confirmation off and then took the money straight back out again! This hotel is absolutely vile! NEVER STAY HERE!!!!

Room Tip: Sleep on a park bench. it would be safer than staying here!!!
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Auchinleck, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 March 2013

wot a hell hole would never stay there again looks nothing like pics
there is nothing near the b&b
there is a bar in the place we came bk at 9 on sat nite with t kids bar was closed
half time taxi drivers did not know where t place was
place might be cheap but look else where

Room Tip: look else where
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank Yvonne K
Reviewed 26 November 2012

VILE! no other words can describe, and the beast that worked on reception was incredibly rude!
such a dive, felt like I was staying in a convict house..
so shocked with the prices, I would have rather stayed on the floor in Liverpool train station than stay here again, got charged extra for no apparent reason

Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank Willow B
Reviewed 18 November 2012

where to begin.....well the women on reception smelt so much and is so rude and obnoxious we broke down half way to Liverpool and she said no to a refund the place is like a drug den you see only in gangster movies, its in the middle of an industrial estate the rooms stank of pure damp, there was ants and insects ive never even seen also dust and dirt was everywhere , there was no towels the room was awful and extremely cold and had 4 single beds (felt so dirty sleeping) also the women stole £10 pound out of my sisters account so i have had to commence legal proceedings, i honestly cant think of how to describe the experience i had it was atrocious and i sincerely hope someone from the authorities does there job and shuts this place down.
If you are looking to stay in Liverpool i honestly think a ditch would be more accommodating and less hazardous to health and well being. ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTED

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank AdamM91
Northumberland
Reviewed 12 November 2012

I really don’t know where to start? This is without doubt the worst place I have ever stayed in.
Never ever again, 10p per night would be too expensive. The place is rough, dirty and unwelcoming.
We were greeted or grunted by a rude girl who needs to get a refund from charm school as it clearly failed her.
The room was just unreal, I truly would have slept in the car if I had not already pre-paid in full £159 for 1 night, room only and no breakfast! (4 of us). Places like this should
not be allowed to trade– do not go and make sure you spread the word far and wide as this place is a total disgrace. Please do not think this
report is exaggerated as it really is not, if anything it is understated as words really can’t describe this hovel. You have been warned!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends