“Luxury room, fantastic restaurant, great location”

Heywood House Hotel
Ranked #17 of 97 Hotels in Liverpool
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Luxury room, fantastic restaurant, great location”
Reviewed 2 November 2011

I purchased a two-night stay here through a voucher website and, despite doubting the service and quality we might recieve based on the price we paid for our stay, i'm so glad i did, i have no doubts we were given the same great service and product as any full-price paying customer, so much so, i would certainly pay the full price to stay here if i were ever to visit liverpool in the future. The staff were very helpful on arrival and the classy yet modern decor struck me straight away, the whole place was decorated beautifully. Our room had luxurious silky curtains (which let no light in) as well as light yet warm bedding, both making for a great nights sleep. The room was a perfectly adequate size for two plus luggage, and contained all the facilities you could need, including i-pod docking stations. We heard no noise whatsoever from outside the room, a nice surprise due to the central location of the hotel. The bathroom was also decorated beautifully, had lovely thick towels and luxury body products, in greater supply than i usually find in hotels, and the shower was the best, most powerful, shower i have ever used in any hotel, b+b, even my own house. Finally, the breakfast served in the noble bar/restaurant was done to perfection, and, i was glad to see, had a number of choices which varied greatly from the boingly predictable 'full english' or 'toast and jam' choice i have perviously had at other hotels. Only drawback was the parking situation, though understandably this is often difficult in city centre locations. I believe it was around £20 per day to park in a nearby multi-story secure car park.

Room Tip: Each room had a different colour scheme, perhaps you should request a specific colour room if you pe...
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
HeywoodHH, Manager at Heywood House Hotel, responded to this review, 5 November 2011
Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel. I am pleased the hotel exceeded your expectionations and you enjoyed your stay with us. With regards to the parking, I apologise if you were not made aware that we can now offer guests a discount voucher of almost 40% off the 24 hour rate at Q Park. Vouchers are available by request on departure at reception. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.
Dannielle

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
  • Polish first
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 October 2011

I stayed here in September in room 102, the room itself was lovely even if there was a complete lack of main light and only lamps to light the room. The bathroom was quite nice but very compact and the bathroom extractor fan never seemed to work, evidence of this could be seen by the paint that had run down the walls of the bathroom. The towels were rarely changed in my 5 night stay even though I left them on the floor as instructed. And the bedding over 5 nights was NEVER changed.

The worst part of my stay here was in the noble house restaurant where guests are meant to have their breakfast. If your partial to undercooked/raw bacon, toast made on a chargrill (literally, I kid you not) and overpriced Tesco basics sausages then this is the place for you. If however you have taste buds then there’s a wonderful sandwich shop over the road quite use to serving residents of the hotel. My fiancé and I ate in the restaurant on the Saturday evening and unfortunately if you have any allergies, like myself, then you’re in for a very dull and somewhat upsetting dinner. Everything is pre-prepared, right down to the most unexpected thing. Clearly the chef fancied himself a Jamie Oliver type, as everything had to be swimming in chilli, black pepper or wine whether to hide the cheap ingredients or the lack of expertise I know not. In the end after attempting to order 4 times, being told they either didn’t have it in or it wasn’t suitable, I had the sirloin steak and my fiancé had some fish dish swimming in chilli and wine (both, lucky him). When our order arrived my steak which I’d requested medium/rare came burnt to a crisp and without a steak knife (a knife which never did make an appearance), I sent this back and so 20 minutes later, my fiancé having finished his meal, my second steak arrived this time blue and cold. This was also sent back, the same steak arrived 15 minutes later not much better but this time slightly warmer. I was made to feel so picky and fussy in this place that in the end we left and I went to sleep hungry. Needless to say after that fiasco and appalling service I didn’t venture there again for dinner. Unfortunately my breakfast was included I my room booking and so I persevered for 2 of my 5 night stay, in the end resorting to the sandwich shop over the road for a decent meal.
The average price of the, actually available, main meals on the menu are £30+ with a quality value of around £4.00 Being an ex-chef you can take my word and save yourself the expense. Oh and the “Diet Coke” they’re selling is really very cheap soda tasting cola. Also be aware of the quantity of ice they dump in your glass, I found this to usually take up 60% of the glass, quite a rip off.
Make sure you check your bill for additional charges too, they will charge you for calling reception from your room!

All in all, room décor wise, was lovely, all the rest was bleeding awful.
P.S the “Slaughter house” pub next door in marvellous with a much better atmosphere.

Room Tip: Just don't bother with the hotel quite frankly you'll find a better rate at the Hilton.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank Allergictobadservice
Many thanks for your recent review. We appreciate all guests feedback and comments.

The Noble House Restaurant remains a very popular restaurant destination and I apologise for any shortfalls experienced. We recieve many positive comments regarding the food and service, and will continue to refer these to the restaurant manager in order for them to get it right on more occassions.

As a luxury hotel we make every effort to maintain our high housekeeping standards. I am sorry if any aspects had been overlooked. I assure you these issues would have been dealt with promptly had reception been notified during your 5 days with us.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 October 2011

The hotel is in two parts. About 35 rooms on three floors and in the same building but separate the public Noble bar and restaurant. There is no public guest space. Our room was a good size with all normal facilities and a decent size ensuite. Continental breakfast, served in the restaurant which was barely open, was fine:'full english' avalable as an upgrade. The hotel is in a good central location for all the main attractions and shopping and the Q-park discount adds value. However I don't think this is a 4 star hotel and at the rack rate the price would be extortionate.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mikeofstourbridge
HeywoodTeam, General Manager at Heywood House Hotel, responded to this review, 2 November 2011
Many thanks for your recent review, we are delighted you enjoyed many aspects of your stay and that you took advantage of one our exceptional special offers keeping in line with our company ethos of "Budget where it matters, quality where it counts".

We do hope you get to come and visit us again soon, keep an eye out for more great offers.

Laura
Blackpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 October 2011

Stayed two nights in room 306 (plush room). Room very comfortable, bright with extras as in Dressing gowns, mineral water, ironing facilities and separate seating area. Hotel very central with very friendly and helpful staff. Lovely balcony with room. Good powerful spacious shower. I cant fault it and for the price i think excellent.

Room Tip: room 306, more spacious with balcony.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank daisyrock985
Many thanks for your glowing review of the hotel. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Surrey
Reviewed 26 October 2011

I stayed here for two nights on business during a big political Party Conference. I was expecting this city centre hotel to be very busy and noisy and not to enjoy my stay. What a surprise therefore to find such a charming hotel - intriguingly described as "budgetique" - within five minutes of the Liverpool Waterfront attractions but tucked in a (relatively) quiet backstreet. The reception staff were friendly and welcoming throughout my stay. When my room safe did not work, the receptionist/manageress was very happy to assist and fixed the problem within a few minutes.My "plush" room was smallish but perfectly proportioned and spotlessly clean. The only tiny quibble I could possibly make is that the bathroom mirror was a little high for anybody under six foot tall... I had a great view of my forehead!

My room was reasonably quiet apart from a fairly noisy air conditioning outlet in the street outside. Breakfast in the adjoining restaurant was excellent with a good choice and friendly, efficient service.

If I was in the area again, I would certainly consider returning to this hotel as a more characterful alternative to the big corporates.

Room Tip: Ask for a "Plush" room that comes with extra goodies.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank 20141009mts
Many thanks for the great review. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the very near future.

Whitehaven, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 October 2011

i stayed at the hotel on the 19th october for 1 night. the hotel was easy to find and i was shocked by how close to the main shopping area the hotel was, it was a 2 mins walk away. on arrival we were greeted by a friendly and helpful receptionist who checked us in quickly and told us that we had been upgraded to a plush room. the hotel is nicely decorated and is very clean. the rooms are really modern and cosy and our room had a huge window that looked out onto the road. the beds were very comfy and i had a great nights sleep. the bathroom was really nice and you got a selection of toiletries to use. overall i had a great nights stay at this hotel and will be returning on my future trip to liverpool

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank LeanneR123
sheffield
Reviewed 20 October 2011

Spent a couple of very pleasant days in Liverpool at this excellent location. Clean modern hotel very well equipped. Staff helpful and willing. The security is perhaps the best I have come across in a city hotel. The rooms are comfortable with very modern bathrooms, really spacious with great shower. Lovely stylish bar and restaurant offering a good choice of meals, the food and the presentation are really fab. Lovely breakfast ( the tomatoes on toast was delicious) The only minor negatives were the size of the bed smaller than we are used to and the price of the desserts. But that would not stop us returning everything else is a very high standard. All in a very well managed hotel Well done to all the staff

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends