“Lovely hotel, would recommend”

Heywood House Hotel
Ranked #17 of 97 Hotels in Liverpool
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Lovely hotel, would recommend”
Reviewed 21 February 2014

Having booked a night at The Adelphi on 20th February on a voucher deal, we were desperate to make a fast getaway from the hotel as it was appalling. Having stayed at Heywood House last year, also on a voucher deal, we made our way there and James, the Duty Manager, gave us a fabulous room at a good price. The room was a palace compared to room M12 at the Adelphi.

We were so glad that our first trip to Liverpool was staying at this hotel otherwise we would never have returned, which would have been sad as it is an amazing city.

We look forward to returning to Heywood House and hope, by that time, that the restaurant is fully refurbished as the breakfast offered at the cafe close by was more attuned to carnivores and didn't offer much choice.

Room Tip: Lovely hotel, doesn't have a pool or fitness centre, unable to remove rating for these!
1 Thank Karen D
HeywoodHH, Front Office Manager at Heywood House Hotel, responded to this review, 24 February 2014
Good Morning, thanks for taking the time to leave such nice feedback on the hotel. I’m sorry to hear about your experience in the Adelphi hotel and I am pleased to hear this has not affected your opinion on the city as a whole. I was more than happy to accommodate a returning guest to us, and I am confident that when you return, our restaurant will be up and running once again with an extensive breakfast menu to cater a broad spectrum of needs.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
  • Polish first
Reviewed 17 February 2014

Me and my partner stayed at the hotel on the 14/02/14 to the 16/02/14, our two night stay was booked through late rooms and we decided to pay a little more then usual with it been both valentines day and my birthday. We arrived 30 minuets early and we were checked in straight away. I feel I should warn other couples booking through sites such as laterooms that you are not informed about the £50 deposit against possible damages, luckily we had been on tripadvisor before hand so knew that a deposit would need to be paid. We stayed in room 106, this is a corner room which has two outside walls, there is a lovely little corridor that holds the wardrobe and a long mirror. There was a double bed in the room with a desk/dressing table and a en suit bathroom with a bath and shower head.

I had already seen reviews from a few customers who had stayed to advise they were misled by the photographs displayed on both the hotel website and also sites such as late rooms. When we arrived there was already one customer inquiring as to why his room did not have a roll top bath as this was what was advertised on the site. I think if i had not done my research I would have been disappointed, I had prepared myself to expect a room that differed from the photos online as I had checked before hand. It seems as if the professional photos of the large bedrooms and the roll top bath seem to dominate the website so anyone who is booking a 'Plush' double room or 'Superior' double room as described on laterooms is misled to believe this is what to expect, however when reading through the information on the website for Heywood House it is noted only one bedroom has these facilities. In my opinion these photographs need to be updated and also the website information changed to make it clear exactly what to expect from the 'Plush' rooms in the hotel.

As noted before our room was a corner room (106) this room had two outside walls, we stayed in the hotel on a cold February weekend (when uk storms were at an all time high) the weather in Liverpool was terrible and one thing that did put a downer on our weekend was the fact our heating did not work. We informed the young man working on reception on the Friday evening and he checked the heating and said sorry that it wasn't working and provided us with a heater. This was all well and good for when we were in the room however, anyone who has used an electric heater before will be more than aware you can not and should not leave them on when you are not in the room. We were out for a good 5 hours Friday evening and returned to a cold room & extremely cold bathroom, the same happened on Saturday evening as nobody came to check on the situation on Saturday. This to me was disappointing for a 4* hotel.

All in all our stay in Liverpool was nice, we visited the Laughter House next door to the hotel for a comedy night and would highly recommend this to anyone who loves comedy. The hotel location was fantastic so central and close to everything & I loved the decor it was modern and did feel extremely clean. On reflection we did enjoy our stay, the service that we did have was good, they did keep our bags after check out for a few hours which i thought was lovely and we did sleep well. The dressing gowns, the bath salts/toiletries and rubber duck were nice touches however, I will stress I do feel the hotel should meet expectations and I do feel some of the advertising is not 100% honest.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Good Morning! Thank you for leaving such detailed feedback on the hotel. Overall I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay, however I am disappointed to hear that your stay did not meet your expectations of Heywood House.

At Heywood we aim to take on board every little bit of feedback given to us, this is why our team at the hotel are working hard over the next few weeks to make sure that our guests are informed as much as possible of what to expect when they choose to stay with us here. We have taken on board feedback regarding the lack of information regarding the required £50.00 security deposit. This requirement is standard in most hotels and explained in our booking confirmation email, however we can appreciate that not all of our guests will be aware of this, and this is why we are looking at our own website and others that we are advertised on to ensure our guests are aware of this.

We have also taken on board feedback regarding how our rooms are advertised on our websites. Whilst our website advertises that we only have one room with the roll top, stand alone bath, and only four rooms with balconies (which we call feature rooms), after some investigating and feedback, we have agreed that these websites need to be updated, and such updates will be occurring over the coming weeks.

Once again I would like to thank you for your feedback, and if you do decide to stay with us once again, I would advise you to call our reception team for us to handle your reservation personally if you are interested in a specific room.
Rotherham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 February 2014

We booked a number of rooms as part of a hen weekend to liverpool. The team did a great job of organising everything for us and were happy to accommodate our needs. Everyone commented on how lovely the rooms were and small touches that make the stay were comfortable eg dressing gowns, nice toiletries etc. The location is perfect for accessing the city but tucked away on a side street so you miss all noise of a busy road. Would reccomendation for anyone wanting to stay in liverpool. Massive thanks to the team at heywood!

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank Egrayson
Good Morning Mrs Grayson! Thanks for taking the time to leave feedback on Heywood House. It was a pleasure having your party stay with us for your hen weekend and i’m really pleased to hear that everyone enjoyed their stay. Thank you for the recommendation, I hope we can welcome you back in the future.

P.S Best wishes for your wedding.
Blackpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 February 2014

I needed to go to Liverpool to renew my passport on the same day. There were some of the bigger chain hotels closer to the passport office but very expensive. After a bit of research I found this hotel, and what a gem it proved to be. Big thanks to James who checked me and my wife in. Speedy check in and very helpful with local information.

The hotel is very well equipped. Comfortable functional rooms with a nice TV, bose dock, hairdryer, iron and ironing board, tea, coffee and biscuits, bath, shower, toiletries, air conditioning and not only close to the passport office but close to the town centre and the many bars and restaurants.

For those wanting to renew passports, there is a main post office 50 yards away where you can get the paperwork and fill it in over a drink at the café close by.

We will certainly go back and thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Tim G
HeywoodHH, Front Office Manager at Heywood House Hotel, responded to this review, 15 February 2014
Good Evening! Thank you for taking the time to leave such positive feedback on the hotel. It was a pleasure having you stay with us and I was more than happy to assist you in any way I can. I'm pleased to hear that the hotel location was ideal for you and all of the amenities and facilities within your room and the hotel met your needs. I look forward to welcoming you back to Heywood House in the future!
Wales
Reviewed 10 February 2014

Whilst only staying for one night I opted to a "plush" room to have a little more space around, I have emailed the hotel about a couple of points and Laura had responded and was very helpful, and charming when I arrived. I was a little taken aback when asked to leave a £50 deposit against possible damages. I found reception very helpful when I asked if they had an ipod charging cable, they did with the lightening connection.

I had read that the hotel was undergoing refurbishment and there was no bar or restaurant or breakfast available, I found it didn't matter too much at all. The room was great and very quiet, the bathroom large and a great shower.

Parking was subsidised by 50% at the nearby Q car park by Debenhams.

Good value and close to shops and centre. Would I stay there again? Yes.

1 Thank Grosvenorthehound
Good Morning, i’m really pleased to hear that you had a great stay with us and would stay with us again. I will pass your kind words onto Laura. I am also pleased to hear that the temporary closing of our restaurant did not effect your stay, and I appreciate your understanding regarding this matter. All in all, I would like to thank you for your feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back to Heywood House in the future.
Southport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 February 2014

We stayed one night here on my girlfriend's birthday and we were really satisfied with the Heywood. I booked it through booking.com that offered one double bedroom for one night for £43 without breakfast, which was excellent value.
The hotel is located at a very convenient location, in a walking distance to everything that we wanted. We arrived about an hour before the time that we were supposed to check in, however the receptionist allowed us in our room without a problem. The room was of decent size, with a smaller bathroom (that said, with a large double shower), and with a view onto Fenwick Street. Cleanliness-wise it was spot-on, and everything seemed relatively new. Strong Wifi connection we had as well thankfully. Only very small quibble we could think of was that there was no program guide on the TV (which isn't that much of an issue if you have an internet capable device), and not too many channels. Still, there's so many things nearby the hotel that I don't think watching the tele would be the most crucial in my opinion.
I didn't book breakfast in the morning as it wouldn't have been within the hotel and we figured we'd just get a breakfast somewhere on our way back home, which is what happened in the end. There's an amazing place less than 5 minutes away on the way towards Moorfields called Moose Coffee that I can recommend wholeheartedly.
All in all I can only speak in favour of the Heywood, definitely considering going back once again.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Gabor M
HeywoodHH, Front Office Manager at Heywood House Hotel, responded to this review, 3 February 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post such a positive review! We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and that the location was ideal for you to experience what our City has to offer. We appreciate your recommendation and hope we can welcome you back to our Hotel in the near future.
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 February 2014 via mobile

Stayed for 1 night, mid week. This is the 2nd time I have stayed at this hotel. The rooms are very nicely furnished with very stylish bathrooms. A Bose docking station is a nice extra. I would recommend this hotel to anyone coming to stay in Liverpool. The location is great for shopping, Liverpool One shopping centre is literally 1 minute away and the docks 5 minutes away (walking). I would rebook this hotel again.

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank sharen b
Thank you for your lovely comments on our Hotel. We are delighted to hear you chose to stay with us a second time and that the location was ideal for your needs. A handy hint keep an eye on our special offers page for our latest deals. We will look forward to welcoming you back to our Hotel on your next visit to Liverpool.