“4 Star ?”

Crowne Plaza Liverpool City Centre
Ranked #19 of 98 Hotels in Liverpool
Reviewed 9 April 2014

4 star ? Rooms with no safe, no trouser press, not what I expect when travelling.
I have been coming here often but am now realising how you overlook things due to good staff, but on this visit that has gone.
Business travellers I suggest you look elsewhere

Stayed: April 2014
CrownePlazaLiverpool, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Liverpool City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2014

Dear Guest, we are sorry the room type you were allocated did not have a safe in, unfortunately not all of our bedrooms do, however we do have safety deposit boxes behind our reception desk for your personal belongings where you can access 24 hours a day with your own key. In regards to the trouser press, please accept our apologies for this. All of our room should have them in, if you could provide me with the room number I will certainly investigate into this. We thank you for your loyal custom and we hope you will return so we can demonstrate our excellent customer service skills. Should you wish to book to stay here with us agian, please contact me directly and I will make sure your room has a safe and a trouser press in.
Kind Regards

Reviewed 4 April 2014

Had a lovely stay here for Mother's Day. Lovely comfy, clean room with a river view. Very friendly staff on reception, in the bar area and in the breakfast room. Excellent breakfast. Stayed in a room with a river view. Loved it...

2  Thank Kathryn C
CrownePlazaLiverpool, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Liverpool City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2014

Dear Guest, thank you very much for taking the time to comment on such a wonderful stay you had with us on Mothers Day. I truly appreciate your comments and I am very happy see our friendly staff took care of you. I am glad to read how you enjoyed our ‘best breakfast in town’ in our lovely river view room. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 2 April 2014

We stayed at the Crowne Plaza City Centre on a Sunday evening, we had booked a suite which was very well appointed, good king sized bed, lovely bathroom with excellent facilities and huge bath towels. Both the receptionist and the concierge were charming and couldn't have been more helpful. The breakfast was good and both food and plates were hot.

I would recommend this Hotel to anyone, being in a good location and very good value for money.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
CrownePlazaLiverpool, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Liverpool City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2014

Dear Guest, I cannot express my gratitude on how pleasing it is to read such a good comment regarding your stay here with us. It is always a pleasure to see how our guests enjoyed their stay and how much an impression our wonderful staff had on you. I will certainly pass on your comments to our reception and concierge team, and I do agree with you on our perfect location. We thank you for your recommendation on the hotel and I truly hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 26 March 2014

Having tried a few other hotels in Liverpool in previous months, I opted for the Crowne Plaza this time. Hotel staff very friendly and check in was swift - always a bonus - room was fine but was a tiny bit tired looking and the bathroom smelt a bit fusty. However, the room was very warm despite what setting the temp guage was set at and the windows are sealed shut! My room was overlooking the road and quite ugly but no road noise from 4th floor.

Breakfast was excellent whereas the evening meal food was average and after only two nights, the limited menu was boring. Bar staff were lovely & friendly.

I used the gym, pool, sauna etc which were busy, but not too busy. All very clean & most importantly, everything was working which was great.

The free Wifi is VERY slow. Don't know what the paid for wifi speed is like but the free stuff is almost useless. Also, even though you can get over 70+ TV channels for free at home, Hotel only provide about 15 UK channels which was not great.

Hotel situated in a great area by docks with loads of bars, restuarants, attractions, etc and great to walk around.

I will stay there again

Room Tip: Ask for room overlooking the docks. I didn't but I should have as the other side overlooks a 6 l...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
CrownePlazaLiverpool, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Liverpool City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review on your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Liverpool City Centre. I happy to see you opted for our hotel and found your stay enjoyable and I agree we are well situated. I am delighted to see that you found the staff to be excellent, as they are responsible for leaving our guests with a lasting impression.
However, I can also see your room was not up to our normal high standards, and the temperature was very warm please accept our apologies for this. All of the windows in the room do not open for the safety of our guests.
With regards to your view from the room, we do have waterfront rooms which you can book for the next time you stay with us. I happy to see you got to use our leisure facilities and everything was clean and working.
I am sorry for our WIFI connection being slow during the stay, our premium access is for anything higher which requires any downloading or video calling and you can purchase this at our reception desk.
Thank you once again for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 25 March 2014

This hotel is located adjacent to the Liver Building and is a short walk from all the major attractions. It was much better value for money than its nearest rivals. Liverpool, generally, is a walkable city, although a one hour tour on the open top bus is great for identifying the attractions and their relative locations. The hotel and its facilities are to the standard normally expected from four star chain hotels. It is comfortable and the service is good although the bar is very expensive. The rooms are a little smaller than comparable chain hotels although the bathroom was quite large. On balance; we were quite pleased with our choice and would return here if the prices continue to be competitive.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest, thank you for taking the time to review on your stay here with us at the hotel. I am very happy to see you found our hotel better value to other hotels in the city, and you enjoyed your time sightseeing. I personally recommend the hop on hop off bus as it’s a great way to see the city and all the attractions our wonderful city has to offer. I am also happy to see you enjoyed your stay overall and your comments on the bar prices have been taken onboard. With regards to our prices booking directly through us either on the telephone or online, we can guarantee the best price for you.
Once again thank you for taking the time to share your experiences with other travellers and we truly look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 22 March 2014

First things first, the beds are really comfy. The bath towels are large and fluffy and they have facecloths too! The room was clean and a reasonable size. The staff too were helpful (especially Lydia in the restaurant), But the place does need a refurb. It really did not impress.

Although our room was clean the furniture had seen better days. There was even some sticky plastic stuff on the desk to hide the damage. And why do hotel rooms have such poor lighting?

As members of the rewards club we received a 10% voucher when we checked in. This could only be used once so we thought we would use it towards drinks over dinner.

The restaurant too was hit and miss. Clearly needed some new furniture. Our table was very scratched. The silver rail around the wall too, although it was clean it was tarnished and needed replacing. We had dinner here, we paid the supplement which was £50. What it didn't say was that it was towards the meal and not for the meal. We came in under budget because we didn't have a sweet (mainly because it was a limited choice) but we couldn't use that towards our drinks. I couldn't understand why.

I had a butternut squash and wild mushroom risotto that was nothing short of excellent. So I as salivating waiting for my main course; one of my favourites, belly pork This arrived as a well presented dish. But it disappointed in oh so many ways. The crackling was more rubber than crackle. The meat was tough and dry. It lacked that juicy melt in the mouth texture that good belly pork has; and the sauce, or gravy was wishy washy with little flavour. My husband had a goats cheese bruchetta to start which he said was short on cheese. His chorizo and pork burger was ok but wasn't subtly flavoured with the Chorizo as describeed but rather dominated it; but this was fine as he likes chorizo.

We had a bit of a mishap in the dining room as my husband knocked a glass of red wine over. I was covered. The head waiter was stood behind us chatting to some clearly more important guests because he just glanced around and handed my partner a serviette and carried on his conversation. But thankfully one of the waitresses (who I think was called Lydia) came to our rescue and helped us to mop it all up. The other gentleman did approach us after the important people had left and asked were we ok. But by then we were thanks to Lydias assistance. He did redeem himself later however by giving us some tips on where to go for a drink and he did arrange a taxi for us. We had a drink in the bar when we came back. My husband was a bit put out that the other tables in the bar at the time were offered snacks but we weren't. A small thing I know but .........

Which brings me to location. Not a bad spot but a little way out of the main city centre and a fairly reasonable walk to the nearby Albert Dock where there are restaurants and bars and some of the tourist sites. Tip: the red sightseeing tour bus stops outside the hotel the other one doesn't.

We tried out the pool and again there was a feeling that everything was tired and in need of a bit of a remodel. The ladies changing rooms are a floor above the pool area and you descend via a spiral staircase. Oh and wear flip-flops or something as the floors are lethally slippery. The pool is a nice length but like so many pools today very shallow. Only 1.3 meters deep. Why oh why don't they tell you that in the blurb. I like a deep pool.

Breakfast was good. There was a good variety of fruit and the usual choice of hot food (although I did have to ask for someone to attend to provide fried eggs which are cooked to order)

We drove and there is a £10 overnight parking charge but they kindly allowed us to stay in the car park after we'd checked out so we could do a bit of sightseeing.

Overall a reasonable hotel but doesn't quite make the four stars for mark for me - I felt a little let down by the rating. The wine and eggs issues are why I have marked down the service.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Liverpool City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2014

Dear intrepidtravellerx2,

Thank you for being an IHG Rewards Club member and for leaving us a feedback. I certainly apologize for the inconveniences you experienced over the condition of the room. I am also sorry that the food served did not meet your expectations. Rest assured that your comments will be looked into and take actions accordingly. We take all comments into consideration and welcome any opportunity to improve. If there is anything you need next time you stay with us, please do not hesitate to let us know.

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 20 March 2014

Hi, I stayed here on business a few nights ago. It wasn't my first choice but it was OK. The rooms are comfortable and the bathroom facilities are clean. The breakfast was good and though I wouldn't rush back, I would stay there again if I had to. There are however cheaper available at this standard

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Liverpool City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2014

Dear RoastSpud,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us your feedback. I am delighted to hear that you found our rooms comfortable and bathroom facilities clean. Your comments are highly valuable to us and will assist us in our continuous efforts to maintain and improve the service level we aim for. I am pleased to know that you had a satisfactory stay at our hotel and apologize for the shortfalls you have encountered. I appreciate feedback that we receive, whether positive and negative to ensure we provide the best level of service and facilities that we can give to our guests. Thank you again for your review and I hope to have an opportunity of welcoming you back again soon.

Krysllin G.