“Excellent Choice”

Ranked #22 of 99 Hotels in Liverpool
Darlington (uk)
“Excellent Choice”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2008

I have stayed in Liverpool before at the Marriot and Holiday Inn both of which are very good however the Crowne Plaza is a cut above them! Situated on Albet Dock next to the Liver building the location is excellent for access to the newly refurbished areas of Liverpool.

The entrance all to the hotel is a wide open space and the guy at the door with the top hat makes you feel like you have come somewhere special! Check in was very fast and efficient and I found all the staff to be very professional. Throughout the hotel is smart and tidy and a refreshing change to some of the places I have been.

I got to my room and was not disappointed, the room was clean and tidy and very modern with a large LCD TV. Unfortunately my room was on the back looking at the Thistle hotel across the road. If you can get on the front you will get a view across the Mersey very nice! The only very minor comment and it is minor, was that the ice bucket provided for the water had been there that long that the ice melted!

I tried the leisure facilities and have to say they were first class as well. The pool is a bit bigger than standard hotel pools so the extra space was welcome.

Breakfast and the evening meal were both of a very high standard if a little bit expensive.

The only other negative comment I would make is the £7.50 charge for the car park. When you pay over £100 for a night in a hotel, plus food you would think the charge should be included seems to me like a little bit of profiteering there! I know some other hotels in Liverpool don’t have car parks so maybe free car parking would for guests would be a selling point!

Other than that this is an excellent modern hotel at a standard I think we all deserve and expect, well done to the Crowne Plaza on this one!

• Liked — Excellent Location
  • Disliked — Car Park Charges
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (531)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
West Sussex
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2008

I am a Intercontinential Hotel Platinum member. This is achieved based on the number of nights stay in their chain of hotels throught a year. I am a business traveller. I have stayed at the CP Liverpool many, many times. If you are a traveller like me and normally stay in the CP somewhere, do not expect to be upgraded or any special treatment. The club lounge can only be accessed if you have a club room or suite. The free drinks used to be from 5ish to 8pm, not its only 7pm. By the time you get back from business say 5ish and get changed there is not much time to enjoy it.
The hotel is a franchise and the owners are only providing the minimum to maintain the CP status according to Intercontinential who wrote to me.
I feel sorry for the poor staff who have to listen to endless complaints from business travellers, like my colleagues who stay in the CP all over the world.

• Liked — flat screen tv
  • Disliked — noisey maids
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank Southernsoftie
Hemyock, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2008

This fairly new Hotel is well situated for the Waterside area of the Mersey, being about 2 mins walk to the River, 10 mins walk to the main shopping areas of the City and right next door from the renowned Liver Building.
We had booked an exec. room with Executive lounge access, therefore our checking in lasted no time at all. The room, a nice size was clean, modern well decorated, with a good view. Free internet access in the room.
Car Park available for £7.50 per night at the hotel.
Nice large bar and lounge on the ground floor, plus fitness area on floor 1, I think, we didn't use it.
The downside of the Hotel was purely based on the Executive Lounge. We have used this facility with the Crowne Plaza group many times and this was the worst experience, it was nothing more than an afterthought. The room didn't have any external views at all, was fairly small, with limited availability of refreshment. There was no bottle opener there, we had to go an ask. The wine fridge was locked when the wine should have been available, we had to go and ask. The continental breakfast was very poor, very limited choice of pastries, fruit and cereal. There was no bread product at all!
We complained and were allowed to have a complimentary breakfast in the main restaurant which was probably the best we have ever had.
Overall, putting the exec lounge aside, the Hotel is great, Staff were so friendly and helpful and had local accents (nice to see such a Hotel employing Staff from the immediate area).

• Liked — Staff & Location
  • Disliked — Definately the Executive Lounge, but the only downside.
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled on business
glasgow
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2008

just had to visit liverpool again and had only one hotel in mind

the crowne plaza in liverpool I think is quite unique when it comes to its location, it has the liver buildings directly next door, for me the team engagement and customer focus is superb, too many to mention.

the club rooms are fab with access to a private lounge, something quite special
pool and gym were great with an 18 m pool, very popular with my two girls
great shopping, fun filled weekend, superb stay, fab hotel, excellent team, and its own car park too, would recommend you all stay there and give the crowne plaza a try

• Liked — the club rooms
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled with family
ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2008

We reserved a room in the Crowne Plaza early in the summer for our trip in September. We had chosen the hotel based on location and facilities (pool/gym/spa). While we were going to a match on the Saturday we hoped to be able to enjoy the facilities before the match and perhaps Sunday morning. When we arrived at the hotel on Friday we were told the hotel had over booked rooms and had no availability. They had arranged accomodation for us in another hotel (not of an equal standard to the hotel we had booked) for one night and then we had to return to the C.Pl. on the Saturday.
After having booked our room so far in advance, a delay in the airport and a taxi drive this was a huge disappointment. Even more disappointing as the other hotel was built over the train station and we got no sleep. Instead of using pool/gym next morning we had to re-pack and leave our luggage back to the hotel.Of course no room was available for us at this stage so our bags were left in an office for the day.
The hotel upgraded our room to apologise - but like the Australian's report this was of little compensation. There was no time Sat to use the facilities we had paid extra for, we had booked to go to The living Room for dinner so had only time to check into our room, shower and change.
After the previous night's disappointment and noisy room we were also exhausted so felt the whole weekend had been ruined by a hotel's policy to overbook.

A great win by Liverpool made the weekend worth while. Food and atmosphere in The Living Room is excellent. But for our next visit we won't be visiting the Crowne Plaza

• Liked — nice beds
  • Disliked — over booking policy
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
South-West UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2008

Very impressed by the staff at this hotel - both my wife and I are disabled and we found everyone very good at finding solutions where they were needed - a bathboard materialised overnight, we were given armloads of extra towels and pillows, and from our points of view the staff had not just had disability equality training but seemed to have taken it on board! There are info points in the public areas for disabled people, and they'll check about access to local attractions as well as house and recharge a mobility scooter. You'll need to check that they can meet your specific access requirements (we don't require access to hoists, for example), but if you're looking for a positive, friendly bunch of staff who are genuinely welcoming of disabled people (and for any non-disabled people reading this, you'd perhaps be surprised & hopefully be horrified at how rare that is) we'd recommend the Crowne Plaza.

• Liked — Staff
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
Perth
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2008

My wife and I booked a Club room for 3 nights in August. This was supposed to give us river views and use of the Club Lounge. But the room was at right angles to the river ('river glimpses') and overlooked a building site. The Club Lounge had free drinks and nibbles on the Friday evening but only offered fruit juice on the Saturday and Sunday. We were not told this on check-in. When I asked to get some laundry done on the Saturday morning, I was told, quite rudely, that the hotel does not provide laundry services at weekends!!!
Almost 4 weeks after emailing the hotel's Guest Relations Officer, I finally got a reply, which offered no sensible explanations. It did say that, if I'd asked, I could have done a bit of laundry myself in a machine in the hotel. Again, I wasn't told about this 'facility'. To 'restore my good faith', the hotel has offered me a free upgrade next time I stay there. Given that I live 10 000 miles away in Australia (and the Guest relations person knows this), I'm unlikely to take up the offer!
Beware - don't expect normal service at the Liverpool Crowne Plaza at weekends.

• Liked — central location
  • Disliked — no laundry service at weekends; club lounge not fully operational at weekends
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family