“Well-located and with a pool”

Crowne Plaza Liverpool City Centre
Ranked #22 of 97 Hotels in Liverpool
Eastbourne, United Kingdom
“Well-located and with a pool”
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Stayed for two visits last month and I found it good all round. Rooms are spacious, clean and well fitted out. The entrance is a bit dreary but it's a minor complaint. Everything worked including air-con and all TV settings. Food was fairly standard but no complaints. There's free use of a gym and a pool.

Room Tip: There are great views on the south side facing the river- the other side faces a main road
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank PhilofEnglandLondon
CrownePlazaLiverpool, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Liverpool City Centre, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Dear Phil, thank you very much for posting a review on our hotel. I am happy you found our rooms clean and spacious and the air-conditioning unit was in full working order as well as the TV. We truly hope you will return to our hotel in the future should you ever visit Liverpool again.
Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (539)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Bristol
Reviewed 6 July 2014

I spent a week here on a business trip. Double room was of the standard I'd expect for the money. My room was air conditioned with a sealed window, I prefer to let a bit of outside air in. The staff couldn't have been more helpful. The only real problem I had was an 18 minute soft boiled egg that was needless to say hard, other than that the food, service and facilities were more than adequate.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Bindavies
Dear guest, thank you very much for taking the time to post a comment on your recent stay here with us at the hotel. I am sorry our windows do not open; this is for the safety of our guests as the position on the building and our weather conditions in the city. Although I am so sorry to read you had to wait 18 minutes for a egg, please accept my apologies for this, I will make sure this does not happen again in the future. Once again thank you for your time and I hope this will not deter you from choosing to stay here with us again in the future.
Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

Just returned from a one night stay in the Crowne plaza Liverpool.
Check in was really simple and quick.
Parking is charged at £10 per day reasonable for the location.
Staff very friendly, helpful and professional.
Room straightforward layout typical of most hotels these days but it was super clean. Loads of facility's hair dryer, iron trouser press, tea and coffee making facility's, fridge, ice bucket that you fill with ice from machine down corridor, LCD tv, air conditioning, shoe polish, sewing set,shampoo, conditioner, body lotion, bath lotion, soap, shower cap, bath robes, even a little spray that's supposed to help you sleep lavender I think.
Waterfront views from our room.
Breakfast was excellent continental, cereal,fruit and full cooked all buffet style but some things you can order from menu and have cooked to order seriously the best selection I think I have seen.
Checkout quick and simple.
Location is waterside 10 minutes walk from Liverpool one next to the Liver building 20 minutes walk from Mathew street, 10 minutes walk from Albert dock.
I would not hesitate at booking this hotel if I want to stay in Liverpool overnight again.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lyndonzoe
Dear Guest, thank you very much for taking the time to post a fantastic 5 star review on your recent stay here with us at the hotel. I am sure other travellers will find this comment very informative of all the facilities and items which we provide for you at the hotel. I am so happy to see you enjoyed the selection of hot and cold items we have on offer at breakfast. Once again thank you very much for your time and I hope we will be able to welcome you back to the hotel very soon.
Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed for two nights with wife and 1 year old..staff were friendly and couldn't do enough..although room was slightly dated was good enough for our stay..found the spa treatments quite expensive however the swimming pool sauna/steam room were great and clean..would definitely stay again...

Stayed April 2014
Dear Guest, thank you very much for posting a 5 star review. I am so happy you enjoyed the stay here with us and our staff were friendly and efficient towards you. Also glad to see you made use of our leisure club. That is brilliant to see you would definitely come and stay again as we would love to welcome you back.
Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel for just 1 night and am awarding it 3 stars for:
- Great location to the dock and City centre.
- An amazing view. Breathtaking, stunning
- A comfortable bed, linens and a great night's sleep.
- Free internet (which I no longer take for granted)
- Good toiletries in the bathroom
- Pool and sauna
- An amazing spread for breakfast
- Complimentary water in the room and a guest ice machine (it was extremely hot)

However that having been said, for me it's not worth the premium they charge to stay here for the following reasons:
- The hotel is not at all modern and is clearly showing its age. In my room (422) the entry way is shabby. The ceiling tiles above the entry way are a disgrace and the bathroom smelled mouldy and musty. I could smell it from when I opened the door of the room.
- I dropped my charger next to the desk in the room and when I bent down to retrieve it was surprised by the dust and the dirt. I am fairly sure that section of the room was not cleaned since 1990. Shudder to think what else might be lurking elsewhere in the room.
- Room service was an absolute disgrace. I had a long day and I was really looking forward to relaxing with room service. The front desk told me that the sides were particularly excellent. I ordered a chicken korma - and just as back up some onion rings (a side). What was delivered to my room cannot by any stretch of the imagination be called a korma. In fact listing it as a korma is an insult to kormas everywhere. It was as if they defrosted frozen cubes of chicken and then dropped them in a very watery sauce. I should have taken a photo of it. The colour is one not seen in nature. It was revolting. There was no coconut or fresh ingredients. Even the thought of it now makes me sick to my stomach. The onion rings were covered with foil when they were hot. So what I got was soggy and inedible. Cannot put into words how disappointed I was with the food. The charge for the meal was removed from my room but the fact that that meal left the kitchen at all is shocking!
- While the spread at breakfast was impressive, when I arrived at 6:40am there was no one there. I seated myself. It was another 20 mins before someone asked me about tea and coffee. And while breakfast starts at 6:30am and I came at 6:40am the pancakes and waffles were stone cold and inedible.

I think if you are going to pay a premium to stay somewhere the service and standards should be above the norm and that is not the case here.

I don't think the hotel is value for money. Thankfully it was on the expenses. Definitely wouldn't spend my own money here. You must be able to do better in Liverpool for the price charged.

Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Dana J
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Liverpool City Centre, responded to this review, 19 July 2014
Dear Dana J,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and comments regarding our hotel. I am delighted that we were able to provide you with an adequate bedroom and bathroom amenities.

Providing our guests with good value accommodation is one of our top priorities. It is regrettable to hear that your experience with our room service and with the condition of our hallways fell below your standards. We will certainly use your feedback to improve on our facility so we can provide you with an exemplary stay in the future.

Faith R
Case Manager
IHGCare
Wales
Reviewed 1 July 2014

My wife and I always stay at the Crowne Plaza Hotels mainly because of the type of rooms they offer. However, on this occasion, my wife asked for a toasted tea cake whilst waiting for the room to be ready. The waiter arrived 10 minutes later with some kind of bread on a small plate and dropped in on the table without any attention. It was a disgrace, and a lack of respect for the customer. After complaining to Eve (Manager) she apologised and offered us free dinner at the Brasserie as compensation. By the way, my wife had the sea bass which was drowned in butter (see photo).

I was livid and fuming at the lack of care by the incompetent and unprofessional chef. The staff at the bar are young and untrained with very little customer service skills. The hotel needs to do something about the poor quality and attention to service and the food.

I want to thank Eve for listening and trying to make our stay a pleasant one. I get angry to receive poor service at a hotel that I like and enjoy staying at. I am terribly disappointed with the poor service that this hotel offers at the bar.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank FandangoEspanol
CrownePlazaLiverpool, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Liverpool City Centre, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Dear Guest, we feel we give the utmost importance to our guest comments as they help us improve, and continually provide the best guest experience possible. We have taken note of your comments regarding the service of the food and will use these to monitor and improve the quality of product and services we offer to our guests. I am happy Eve was understanding and helpful towards this issue. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve. Thank you for your time you have taken to post a comment on the hotel and we hope you will return to the hotel in time to receive a more relaxed and professional service which you expect.
Kind Regards
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 June 2014

I stayed for one night and this hotel is over-priced. In addition parking and breakfast were charged extra. The room was adequate, although the air conditioning was not working sufficiently well to air the room (window screwed shut).
The bathroom was dated - horrible shower curtain around the bath.

Breakfast was standard hotel fare - nothing special. Same with the service.

The location is good for the Liver building, the Mersey and the town centre.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Guest, thank you for taking the time to post a review on our hotel, we take all your comments on board to continually improve for the future. Our windows are closed for the safety of all our guests, as the position of the hotel is on the waterfront and the wind and weather conditions can be very severe. However we have air-conditioning units circulating fresh air at a suitable temperature. Once again you for your time and we truly hope you will return in the near future.
Kind Regards