“Great value, beautiful building, great location”

Adelphi Hotel & Spa
Ranked #75 of 98 Hotels in Liverpool
Reviewed 3 May 2011

Third time here now, as a child, then in the 80s & recently for a conference.
Really convenient location but immediate area very run down & depressing. As a woman on my own I did not feel comfortable in the area after dark.
The staff were wonderfully friendly & helpful both during the booking process & during my stay.
My room was huge, clean & comfortable. I opted for breakfast in the room & this was delivered promptly both mornings & was of an acceptable standard.
One of the few hotels left to offer smoking rooms. The building & public rooms are absolutely stunning, especially for anyone interested in history. It's like stepping back in time.
Oh & it's haunted . . . It's definitely haunted!!

• Stayed: April 2011
adelphimanager1, Joe Reilly - General Manager at Adelphi Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2011

Hello and thank you for your very kind comments regarding your stay here at the Adelphi Hotel. I have passed your comments to all of the Managers concerned to pass onto their staff at our weekly Manager's meeting. The iconic Lewis's store in Liverpool, which is directly opposite the Adelphi very recently closed down and does make the area look slightly run down. However, wonderful news, Mere Park Development / Central Park Development will soon be starting work on completely redeveloping this building and the surrounding area at cost of 160million pounds, they have named the project Redefining the Urban Landscape and the development will include, wine bars, cinemas, bowling alleys, designer boutiques etc. Very exciting and will totally regenerate the area surrounding the Adelphi; so watch this space ...............
I am very intrigued with your comment regarding the building being haunted, if you would like to expand on this please contact my secretary Sue Anderson on 0151 709 7200 Ex 014 we would be very interested to hear.
Once again, thank you for your comments and we look forward to visiting you in the near future.

Reviewed 2 May 2011

Finally got to stay in the Adelphi which was good. Hotel is very old, my partner was wandering if any Agatha Christies Poirot has been filmed there as it has that feel to it,( if anyone knows let me know.)
We stayed for one night the room was small with working tv, tea coffee making facilities, but no hairdryer, so girls be warned take your own. The bed was clean but a little hard and uncomfortable, bathroom was also clean. Plenty of space to put your clothes. We was on the top floor which was good but the main lift was a bit of a nightmare, it seemed to have a mind of its own but there was another one along the corridor whch we used so not too much of problem. Hotel is so central you can not get lost train station is two minutes walk away shops are also near by as well as a good selection of pubs and eating places china town is just down the road. (New China Reastraunt on Berry St is a must). We used the car park which I thought was a bit expensive £12 a day but it is secure. Did not try food or health facillities in hotel but they did look good. Staff was freindly. Definently staying again maybe for a little longer.

Room Tip: (New Cina Restraunt in china town is a must)
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
adelphimanager1, Joe Reilly - General Manager at Adelphi Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2011

Hello and thank you for your kind comments regarding your stay here at the Britannia Adelphi Hotel, I am so glad you enjoyed your stay we do pride ourselves on being a good three star value for money hotel and yes, we are central to all of the shops, bars and restuarants.
There has never been any Agatha Christy 's Poirot filmed at the Adelphi, but Brides Head Revisited, and Casulaty 1904 (costume drame) were filmed here, The Adelphi is a Georgian hotel built in 1914 and is a grade 2 listed building with all the original period features making it an ideal location for period dramas.
All our rooms have hairdryers what a pity you didn't report this to reception or housekeeping you would have been delivered a hairdryer immediately, please accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused because of this. The hotel has three lifts i am sorry this was not pointed out to you.
Once again, thank you for your kind comments and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Adelphi in the near future.

Reviewed 1 May 2011

From the moment you walk up the steps and through those famous revolving doors, you should try and remember its age. Reception staff were very efficient, lifts all in working order and depending on what room you stay in, ( i.e: how much you pay) it has everything you need. I have stayed in a standard double and though it was a little dated, I loved the free standing, very deep roll top bath. I stayed in an upgraded double and it was very large,ornate, clean and gave me a sense of luxury. I found all staff very accommodating, breakfast more than acceptable, waiting staff, though very busy, very helpful.
A walk around the hotel reveals a few cracks, it must be a tremendous undertaking to try and maintain this very old building, but you know I like this. It gives a sense of history.

Room Tip: great location for shopping and nightlife
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank polstan68

Hello and thank you for your very kind comments regarding your stay here at the Britannia Adelphi Hotel. The Adelphi is a Grade II listed building built in 1914, with all of the original features showing the grandeur of which gives the Adelphi its 'wow' factor. All of our 402 bedrooms and public areas were refurbished in the Capital of Culture year 2008 at a cost of 15 million pounds. The hotel is is very busy and does suffer wear and tear, but our refurbishment programme is ongoing.
I have passed all of your kind comments to the Reception staff and waiting on staff, they work very hard and it does give them a boost when they receive comments such as yours.
I am so glad you enjoyed every aspect of your stay and look forward to welcoming you back to the Adelphi in the near future. With regard to the history of the Adelphi we will be celebrating our Centenary in 2014 and we are all very excited planning the celebrations.

Reviewed 26 April 2011

Stayed here over the Easter weekend for 2 nights. A peak time, yes, but I did think the rate - £113.50 per night including breakfast - was a bit much for what you actually get. It is a beautiful building in a very good location and the staff were reasonably friendly but the whole place seemed a bit down at heel (could definitely do with another lift or 2 as well). Our room was ok but the windows wouldn't close properly and the dresser clearly hadn't been cleaned properly, as it felt all sticky to touch. The tea and coffee in the room was low quality, and there wasn't even UHT provided (a funny milk substitute instead). On both mornings the cleaners were obviously in a hurry to get into the room and clean, as they knocked several times before we were ready (at 9.30 the second morning- an hour and a half before check out time!) Doubt this is cleaners' fault - it's a huge hotel so probably under a lot of pressure to get rooms clean, in which case management should maybe fork out for some more staff. Fairly mediocre buffet breakfast including stuff that had obviously been sitting around for a long time - I would definitely expect more from a breakfast when paying this much for a hotel. I also thought it a bit much that I was charged £2 for using my debit card on top of the already not-cheap bill - never had this in any hotel before. Seems to be trading on its former glories/ reputation.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
adelphimanager1, Joe Reilly - General Manager at Adelphi Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2011

Hello and thank you for your comments following your stay with us over the Easter weekend. I am very sorry you were disappointed with your stay. All of our bedroom rates are comparable with the other City Centre hotels selling at peak times. All of our 402 bedrooms and public areas were fully refurbished at a cost of over 15 million pounds for the 2008 Capital of Culture year. We are an extremely busy hotel and do suffer a lot of wear and tear, we have on ongoing programme for refurbishment, which is due again this year. I am sorry you found our housekeeping below our usual high standard, i am also sorry you were disturbed by the chambermaids wanting to enter your room to clean it, the hotel was very busy over the Easter weekend. Breakfast can be very busy, but our breakfast items are replaced on a regular basis and with a choice of over 52 items I am sorry you felt it inadequate. Unfortunately the debit card charge is a standard bank charge.

Reviewed 26 April 2011

I stay at Britannia hotels quite often, the rates are usually cheap if you stay away from football dates.
I was attending a 3 day training event, I arrived at 8:30 to check in, the receptionist a nice blonde lady called Laurie i think called through to House keeping to see if my room was availible, unfortunately it wasnt, She apologised and informed me check in would be at 14:30 but they could store my luggage till then.
The training room was called the boardroom it was spacious, clean and well presented the tea and coffee was replenished throughout the day as well as bottled water.
I finally checked in at 15:00 and went to my room on the first floor room 112 I think. The room was 'old fashioned' not in the sense of it looking like an OAP's bedroom but in keeping of what i suppose is the hotels 'niche'. The room was clean enough, fresh towels and linen, soap and shower gel (but no shower, only a stand alone bath). The room was serviced daliy and I was woken by the Housekeeper the following morning at 8am she quickly apologised and asked me to put the do not disturb sign on the door so she wouldnt walk in on me (I did the next night and had no further awakenings)
Breakfast was good if a little busy, I did go down at peak time time so was under no ilusions of having a quiet time, Coffee was on the tables, the staff came round with tea, I had to wait to get at the hot food as a coach party were dining at the same time but it afforded me some pleasent conversation with a lady from glasgow as I waited to get some bacon.
Dinner was a roast, Gammon on both nights, but chicken and a lamb dish on the second night was a pleasent change.
Overall a nice hotel with pleasant staff for a pleasent price

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business

Hello and thank you for taking the time to write to us, I have passed your kind comments to Laurie, I agree she is a very professional member of our front of house team.
The Adelphi is a Grade II listed building built in 1914, and all of our first floor bedrooms have original features. Since your stay with us 12 months ago Room 112 has been refurbished and now has a wall mounted power shower as do all of our 402 bedrooms. I am sorry you were disturbed by the housekeeper, but glad you were advised to put out your 'do not disturb' sign.
We are an extremely busy city centre hotel and on occasion guest do have to queue for meals we now have a system where we take table reservations. I am sorry you had to wait on this occasion. Once again, thank you for your very positive comments and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Adelphi in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 25 April 2011

Hotel is in a brilliant location for train station, shops and bars. Hotel is grand but very out of date, needs a massive overall. Rooms are very basic and a bit grubby. The bathroom Door and Walls were filthy... Not nice! The extra bed for a triple room is very uncomfortable with a hard section down the middle, not a good nights sleep at all. The lifts were diabolical, stood for ages waiting for them and they continually bypassed our floor, when we did get in one we were up and down like a yoyo before we finally arrived at the right floor! On several occasions we had to take the stairs and with our cases as well, 4th floor up trying to get your cases down was not much fun! If ya wanna use the lift allow an extra half hour!! Overall, the hotel is fine for a weekend stay but wouldn't want to stay for longer period.

• Stayed: April 2011

Hello and thank you for your comments following your stay with us. I agree we are in a fantastic City centre location close to all of the bars, restaurants and shops. The Adelphi is a Georgian hotel, built in 1914 and it is a grade 2 listed building and all of our rooms and public area are in keeping with this. We do try to keep the hotel as updated as much as possible with all first floor rooms and public areas having wi-fi. We are a very busy hotel and do suffer some wear and tear, but our refurbishment programme is ongoing. I do apologise that housekeeping seemed to have let us down on this occasion and I would be grateful if you could contact the hotel separately to enable us discuss with our housekeeper your comments regarding your bedroom. Please contact my secretary Sue Anderson on 0151 709 7200 Ext 014.
Again, thank you for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Britannia Adelphi Hotel.

Reviewed 22 April 2011

Stayed here for one night on a stopover back home from Scotland. Trawled the internet and got a room for just £12 on a Britannia 24 hour sale, which is a bargain (had to pay £2 to pay with credit card though!). Used to work in Liverpool so knew of the Adelphi, plus we remember the characters from the TV series about it back in the 90s. It is a crying shame that such a grand hotel has been left to fall from grace. We didn't use any of the lounge or restaurant facilities but our room, although clean, was very small and incredibly dated - the bathroom decor would have been hideous even in the height of fashion- and the corridors were bland and lifeless. OK, we only paid £12 so we don't have much to complain about, but would have been pretty miffed if we'd paid much more. The bed was OK and pretty comfortable but it is amazing how many low-lifes can disturb you outside with their singing, shouting and bawling at eachother at 1am, 2am, 3am, 4am, even 5am.
The car park was a bit of a joke - they wanted to charge £12 and keep my keys in case they needed to move the car - err, no thanks. Instead we parked at the nearby Liner Hotel car park which charged £6 for non-residents for up to 24hrs and this was fine.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DandP_WR6
adelphimanager1, Joe Reilly - General Manager at Adelphi Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2011

Hello and thank you for your comments following your stay with us. We do have some great deals on offer throughout the year at all of our Britannia Hotels, and your particular offer i do agree, was fantastic. I am sorry we did not meet with your expectations the Adelphi is a Georgian hotel, built in 1914 and it is a grade 2 listed building, we pride ourselves on being a good three star hotel offering excellent value for money. We are a City Centre Hotel and i am sorry you were disturbed by the noise outside, despite our rooms having secondary glazing which is in line with a grade 2 listed building and like all city cente hotels you will experience some level of noise. I am sorry you didn't use the lounge or any of our public areas which shows the grandeur of the iconic Adelphi Hotel and its a shame that you didn't look into our Sefton Suite which is the exact replica of the first class smoking room on the Titanic. Like all city centre hotels there is a charge for parking overnight as stated in our web site, as you also experienced at the other hotel.