“Amazing Value”

Adelphi Hotel & Spa
Ranked #74 of 98 Hotels in Liverpool
Reviewed 9 May 2011

I love the Adelphi, stayed a few time - yes its very busy and old, if you want a posh boutique hotel try the Malmaisson or Radisson, but if you want a great central location with atmosphere without blowing the budget you cant go wrong.
We got a late online £50 for double room with dinner ,b&b and bottle of wine deal which was amazing, I even asked for a nice room and we were give a four poster room (sign up to the Britannia email you will get regular offers).
The rooms are old and dated but clean and have crisp white bedding and fluffy white towels.
The reception staff are lovely and helpful, the restaurant Manager was a local and very friendly.
Staying at the Adelphi is an experience, mix of tourists from around the world as well as locals just staying over or at a party night, just love the way so many people get dressed up it can be a fashion show on its own.
Where else can you get all this for such an amazing price?
Tip - Park at the Liner Hotel nearby its £6 and secure.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
adelphimanager1, Joe Reilly - General Manager at Adelphi Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2011

Hello and thank you for your very kind and welcome comments regarding your stay here at the Britannia Adelphi Hotel. The Adelphi is a very busy City Centre, Grade II listed building , the rooms appear old and dated because most of the rooms still retain all of the original features of an Edwardian Hotel. We do offer great value for money deals. I will pass your positive comments to all of the staff concerned which will be greatly appreciated. It was so refreshing to read your comments, the Adelphi is a very lively, dynamic hotel and I agree the fashion in and around Liverpool is a show of its own. Thank you again, and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Britannia Adelphi Hotel in the not too distant future and remember keep looking out for our great deals.

There are newer reviews for Adelphi Hotel & Spa

Reviewed 9 May 2011

As soon as we arrived at the Adelphi we were greating by groups of people who were blocking the enterance and were very intimadating and the two bouncers on the door were not much help. The rooms are very dated but big and spacious. A fight broke out in one of the rooms below between a man and a woman and after several calls to reception the man was finally ejected (after approximately 45 minutes). We told the receptionist of our awful nights stay only to be told that they were sorry but because people book over the internet they couldn't control peoples behaviour???? It has been several years since I last used this hotel and I never intend to use it again, the lovely features include many wires hanging out of walls in all the corridors I seen and if you look out of the window you can witness many a drug deal taking place!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank JMc190927

Hello and thank you for your comments regarding your stay at the Britannia Adelphi Hotel. The Adelphi is a very busy City centre hotel, I am sorry if you felt intimidated by hotel guests having gone outside for a cigarette, we are at present looking to direct them to an alternative area. The Adelphi is an Edwardian grade II listed building and most of our bedrooms still retain the original features. I agree it is upsetting when people behave badly. I am sorry if you were disturbed by other guests, the receptionist was correct in saying it is very difficult to control how guests behave in their rooms, but i have checked the duty manager's book and a Duty Manager did go up to see that particular guest. Again thank your or your comments.

Reviewed 6 May 2011

The Adelphi hotel is right in the very heart of Liverpool and overlooks busy Hanover Street. The reception area was chaotic on check in and we were processed as you would be at a supermarket.
What we liked was that the rooms are expansive but did show their age as did the bathrooms. The facilities provided were a TV and tea/coffee making facilities. The rooms did allow some protection from the noise of the street but not neccesarily the corridors and the rooms above.
We did not like breakfast which was super busy and the ques for the the buffet were long. We did not like the service provided as no personality came to the fore of the staff as they were just so busy coping with the huge number of people in the hotel.
We liked the location but for our travelling style the hotel was just too busy.

Room Tip: Check the "whats on guide" for the city!
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank denise255103
adelphimanager1, Joe Reilly - General Manager at Adelphi Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2011

Hello and thank you for your comments regarding your stay here at the Britannia Adelphi Hotel. The Adelphi is a very busy city centre hotel and at times check-in can be very busy, please accept my apologies if on that particular day you felt your check-in was not to the high standard we aim to achieve here at the Adelphi. I am sorry you were disturbed by the noise outside, despite our rooms having secondary glazing which is in line with a grade 2 listed building and like all city centre hotels you will experience some level of noise. Jenny restaurant can be very busy, however seating for diners at all sittings are scheduled in to avoid queues in the restaurant I am sorry if you felt the service was too busy, what a pity you were not directed to Cromptons our French restaurant which is renowned for its ambiance. Once again, thank you for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Adelphi in the near future.

Reviewed 3 May 2011

I recently stayed at the Adelphi for 4 nights. I was with my partner and my son who is 20. We were given a lovely double room, with a single room off it which was perfect.

I've stayed at the Adelphi many times and am always excited to see the room...they are all different, such a change to the standard rooms in most hotels these days. I love the old bathroom suites with huge baths.

The public areas are amazing. Please don't listen to people who want it overhauled and standardised, where else can you find a hotel like this?

Look forward to my next visit.

Cheryl Lindle-Lavin

Room Tip: Ask for what room you want. e.g. old style marble
Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Cheslll
adelphimanager1, Joe Reilly - General Manager at Adelphi Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2011

Hello and thank you for your kind comments regarding your recent stay here at the Britannia Adelphi Hotel. We are very proud of our Edwardian, Grade II listed building, with all of the original features in our 402 bedrooms and public areas and your observations and appreciation of our hotel were very much appreciated. Thank you again, and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Adelphi in the very near future.

Reviewed 3 May 2011

Third time here now, as a child, then in the 80s & recently for a conference.
Really convenient location but immediate area very run down & depressing. As a woman on my own I did not feel comfortable in the area after dark.
The staff were wonderfully friendly & helpful both during the booking process & during my stay.
My room was huge, clean & comfortable. I opted for breakfast in the room & this was delivered promptly both mornings & was of an acceptable standard.
One of the few hotels left to offer smoking rooms. The building & public rooms are absolutely stunning, especially for anyone interested in history. It's like stepping back in time.
Oh & it's haunted . . . It's definitely haunted!!

• Stayed: April 2011
adelphimanager1, Joe Reilly - General Manager at Adelphi Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2011

Hello and thank you for your very kind comments regarding your stay here at the Adelphi Hotel. I have passed your comments to all of the Managers concerned to pass onto their staff at our weekly Manager's meeting. The iconic Lewis's store in Liverpool, which is directly opposite the Adelphi very recently closed down and does make the area look slightly run down. However, wonderful news, Mere Park Development / Central Park Development will soon be starting work on completely redeveloping this building and the surrounding area at cost of 160million pounds, they have named the project Redefining the Urban Landscape and the development will include, wine bars, cinemas, bowling alleys, designer boutiques etc. Very exciting and will totally regenerate the area surrounding the Adelphi; so watch this space ...............
I am very intrigued with your comment regarding the building being haunted, if you would like to expand on this please contact my secretary Sue Anderson on 0151 709 7200 Ex 014 we would be very interested to hear.
Once again, thank you for your comments and we look forward to visiting you in the near future.

Reviewed 2 May 2011

Finally got to stay in the Adelphi which was good. Hotel is very old, my partner was wandering if any Agatha Christies Poirot has been filmed there as it has that feel to it,( if anyone knows let me know.)
We stayed for one night the room was small with working tv, tea coffee making facilities, but no hairdryer, so girls be warned take your own. The bed was clean but a little hard and uncomfortable, bathroom was also clean. Plenty of space to put your clothes. We was on the top floor which was good but the main lift was a bit of a nightmare, it seemed to have a mind of its own but there was another one along the corridor whch we used so not too much of problem. Hotel is so central you can not get lost train station is two minutes walk away shops are also near by as well as a good selection of pubs and eating places china town is just down the road. (New China Reastraunt on Berry St is a must). We used the car park which I thought was a bit expensive £12 a day but it is secure. Did not try food or health facillities in hotel but they did look good. Staff was freindly. Definently staying again maybe for a little longer.

Room Tip: (New Cina Restraunt in china town is a must)
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
adelphimanager1, Joe Reilly - General Manager at Adelphi Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2011

Hello and thank you for your kind comments regarding your stay here at the Britannia Adelphi Hotel, I am so glad you enjoyed your stay we do pride ourselves on being a good three star value for money hotel and yes, we are central to all of the shops, bars and restuarants.
There has never been any Agatha Christy 's Poirot filmed at the Adelphi, but Brides Head Revisited, and Casulaty 1904 (costume drame) were filmed here, The Adelphi is a Georgian hotel built in 1914 and is a grade 2 listed building with all the original period features making it an ideal location for period dramas.
All our rooms have hairdryers what a pity you didn't report this to reception or housekeeping you would have been delivered a hairdryer immediately, please accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused because of this. The hotel has three lifts i am sorry this was not pointed out to you.
Once again, thank you for your kind comments and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Adelphi in the near future.

Reviewed 1 May 2011

From the moment you walk up the steps and through those famous revolving doors, you should try and remember its age. Reception staff were very efficient, lifts all in working order and depending on what room you stay in, ( i.e: how much you pay) it has everything you need. I have stayed in a standard double and though it was a little dated, I loved the free standing, very deep roll top bath. I stayed in an upgraded double and it was very large,ornate, clean and gave me a sense of luxury. I found all staff very accommodating, breakfast more than acceptable, waiting staff, though very busy, very helpful.
A walk around the hotel reveals a few cracks, it must be a tremendous undertaking to try and maintain this very old building, but you know I like this. It gives a sense of history.

Room Tip: great location for shopping and nightlife
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank polstan68

Hello and thank you for your very kind comments regarding your stay here at the Britannia Adelphi Hotel. The Adelphi is a Grade II listed building built in 1914, with all of the original features showing the grandeur of which gives the Adelphi its 'wow' factor. All of our 402 bedrooms and public areas were refurbished in the Capital of Culture year 2008 at a cost of 15 million pounds. The hotel is is very busy and does suffer wear and tear, but our refurbishment programme is ongoing.
I have passed all of your kind comments to the Reception staff and waiting on staff, they work very hard and it does give them a boost when they receive comments such as yours.
I am so glad you enjoyed every aspect of your stay and look forward to welcoming you back to the Adelphi in the near future. With regard to the history of the Adelphi we will be celebrating our Centenary in 2014 and we are all very excited planning the celebrations.