“Believe the bad hype”

Adelphi Hotel & Spa
Ranked #74 of 98 Hotels in Liverpool
Reviewed 25 September 2011

I stayed here during August 2011's Beatles weekend and thought the hotel would be fantastic. I've stayed here 4 years ago and was told back then the rooms were under going a makeover....looks like they missed out our room.

The hotel foyer, reception etc are very impressive but our room was awful. It was tiny, smelt of damp, there were fixtures and fittings missing, not working (main light above door) or had fallen off and not replaced (toilet roll holder). The television was old and had poor reception. I dont expect to be watching tv anyway but for the price i at least expected my tv to work. The tea and coffee tray was awful - unheard of brands that were vile.

The beds were continental twin beds which were far narrower than a normal single bed. I've never understood this concept as pushing them together doesnt make a comfortable double bed or decent sized single beds. Get some proper single beds in a twin room.

The breakfast was terrible. A complete shambles and not tasty at all. I was really dissappointed with this hotel.

Incase anyone is wondering if i complained or not - i did not, There was no chance of getting another room at this weekend, and i doubt a new tv would be bought up.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
7  Thank finnkjer
adelphimanager1, General Manager at Adelphi Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 5 October 2011

Hello and thank you for taking the time to document your stay with us at the Adelphi Hotel, it is distressing to read that the experience was memorable for all the wrong reasons.
I do wish you had spoken to our Duty Manager at the time of your stay, I acknowledge that we may not have been able to give you a room change but I am sure we could have done something for your party to ensure you had a more enjoyable stay with us.
Having said this, I fully appreciate the problems you encountered managed to detract from the enjoyment of your stay and I must therefore offer you my most sincere apologies on behalf of the Britannia Adelphi Hotel.

Reviewed 24 September 2011

excellant hotel in the perfect location for all Liverpool attractions. Our room on the fifth floor was good clean with everything you want. The staff where verry pleasent and healpfull. Food was verry good and plenty of choice. All the facilities and entertainment where verry good. plenty of happy hours at the bar.We would definetly go again as we didnt see all that Liverpool has to offer. My one critisism would be for someone with walking dificulties there are lots of stairs to negotiate.All in all an excellant week.

Room Tip: higher rooms away from lifts are better
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank charleyfarleyAlaska
adelphimanager1, General Manager at Adelphi Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2011

I am so pleased to head that you had such an enjoyable stay at the hotel. We pride ourselves in offering our guests great value for money, excellent customer service and a fine dollop of good old northern hospitality.
However the issue of the stairs … enough said!

Reviewed 21 September 2011

the only advantage of this hotel is the size of the rooms and bathroom. The breakfast is the worst experience ever and very poor quality. There is always something missing from the breakfast bar as they have run out and need to re stock so you are waiting for the horrible hard fried eggs or bacon or toast etc. Coffee is in a flask on table and depending what time you go to breakfast will depend on temperature and volume left! There are too many people trying to access breakfast and the only time to get it without hoards of people is at 7am when it opens. The hotel is well situated and staff were friendlier this time than our last visit two years ago. The staff in the breakfast room work hard but they need some support with lean processes. I had forgotten over two years how bad breakfast is there and will never book breakfast there again unless things change.

Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank Thecatsatonthemat

It is lovely to hear from you and I am sorry you did not enjoy your experience at Jenny’s Restaurant, the restaurant is very busy and we do try to schedule sittings to avoid queues in the restaurant, I am sorry if this system fell short during your breakfast.

We are always listening to our guest’s feedback and to that end Jenny’s menus are being discussed with a view to change.

Reviewed 20 September 2011

stayed at adelphi in liverpool for 4 nights. hotel is beautiful. staff very polite. meals very good. hotel is central for shops, docks, nightlife etc.

Room Tip: we asked for a low floor room and it was lovely
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
adelphimanager1, General Manager at Adelphi Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2011

I am so pleased you enjoyed your four night visit to the hotel. It was very thoughtful of you to take the time to write your comments on TripAdvisor.
Keep an eye out for our fabulous deals coming up to Christmas and enjoy another dollop of northern hospitality at our lovely hotel.

Reviewed 20 September 2011

it was my first time there, but enjoyed it very much, the maels were lovely, the staff were very friendly. ok yer the rooms were a bit dated but at least they were clean and tidy.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family

How satisfying to read that your stay at the hotel has been such a pleasant one. We try very hard to offer our guests good food, excellent service and great value for money and it appears on this occasion we were successful.

Reviewed 16 September 2011

Having been born and bred in Liverpool but moving away at the age of 12, I was so excited to be revisiting my birthplace and staying at the Adelphi. I had always been in awe of the place when I went past in my childhood. There are much better hotels in Liverpool for the same price or less. Breakfast was absolutely awful, cold, hard as a bullet fried eggs, tinned tomatoes, very much like a school canteen and not in the least what I expected. Cold coffee from a flask on the table!! And they wanted to charge £11.00 for this - I don't think so. Our room, although clean on the surface was comfortable but nothing more. Would not recommend this hotel ever.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank bernpilcher

Hello and thank you for writing about your return to the city and the hotel.
You say you moved from the city at the age of 12 therefore I have no doubt the hotel’s façade was as imposing then as it is now. However, the same cannot be said for the interior, in 1982 when the Britannia Group purchased the hotel the top two floors were in such bad condition that the pigeons roosted there permanently.

From such a sorry state and the prospect of closure the Britannia Group virtually rebuilt the top two floors, added extra bedrooms at the rear and now offer over 400 en-suite bedrooms.

Britannia Hotels have spent many millions of pounds on refurbishment works over the past 25 years. In 2007 they embarked on a £7 million renovation programme to convert the former basement tennis courts into a 1,000 seater conference centre, refurbished every bedroom, improved security, created additional car parking, clean external stonework and generally freshen up the hotel.

I am in receipt of many compliments regarding the Adelphi, its value for money, wonderful staff and unique ambience; the Britannia Adelphi is meeting the challenges of the 21st centaury and its future is looking equally bright.

Reviewed 15 September 2011

Have stayed at the Adelphi several times but don't normally leave a review but after a reading a few of the most recent reviews thought I could maybe reassure a few prospective travellers.I stayed here as a single traveller (first time as I am recently widowed) but my late husband and I enjoyed many weekend and midweek breaks here for shopping /shows /football trips.The first thing I have to say is the location...can't be bettered ......adjacent to Lime Street Railway Station and opp St John's Market and Liverpool1 a short stroll away.
I stayed on a B&B basis on a special offer £39 for a double room ......room was spotlessly clean and recently refurbished plenty of tea/coffee making condiments and toiletries supplied.My room ws at the rear of the hotel so views from window not the best but also had the advantage of no street noises !!
Breakfast is buffet style......help yourself to as much as you want .....coffee is in flasks on the tables but staff come round with teapots for tea.....which can be a bit hit and miss if you have gone for your food when they come round you may have to wait if they have gone to refill the teapot ...although no need to shout and be rude as some people were.
I cannot comment on the facilities as I did not use them ......but apart from the hassle of the room I was originally allocated having a faulty door and being sent back by the reception staff to 'try it again' even though it was on the 5th floor!!!!...was eventually sorted by a very helpful housemaid.
The Adelphi is always my first choice in Liverpool if there are special offer rooms available ....it was very busy the time I was there with coach parties (three coaches arrived whilst I was checking in)and yes they were the older generation but a lot of the large hotels have this sort of holidaymakers to make them viable.The Adelphi is a bit tired round the edges but still prefer it to a box in a travelodge.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank imagine

Hello and thank you for taking the time and trouble to report on your recent visit to the Britannia Adelphi Hotel. It is nice to read that you find the hotel a safe haven now that your travelling arrangements have changed.

When you return to the hotel make sure you have free time and enjoy afternoon tea from the Grand Lounge menu with its ‘oldie worldie’ presentation style which has been recently introduced and has been a major success.

All the pastries are made by our pâtissier who has been at the Adelphi in excess of twenty years. Our sandwich fillings, with the exception of cheese, eggs and tuna are fresh from our kitchens.

Keep a lookout for our future bargain breaks and come back to our wonderful city and of course to the Adelphi Hotel!!