“caledonian tour”

Ranked #73 of 99 Hotels in Liverpool
motherwell
“caledonian tour”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2012

first time to liverpool and the adelphi, we were here mon to fri with caledonian travel. we were on the 5th floor which was ok. we had a large clean room and a great powerfull shower. ok the hotel is a bit dated but it is in the heart of liverpool and within walking distance of everything. clean bed,clean towels every day,and the food was ok too.the sweets were the best bit..would stay here again when back in liverpool.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank margaretmotherwell
adelphimanager1, Director of Sales at Adelphi Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 4 January 2013
Hello and thank you for your comments following your stay with us. I am so pleased you enjoyed your time here and would return to stay with us. I agree with you our sweets are the best, we have our own patisserie chef at The Adelphi and our desserts are made on the premises. Once again, thank you for taking the time to write your review.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,494)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2012

Where does one start with the Adelphi? Our arrival got of to a slow start with the computers down, which somehow meant no-one could check in. Most people queued for an hour with stoical good humour. If you have ever lived in Liverpool you will know the fondness with which the hotel is held by local people. It's difficult not to be forgiving when things go wrong. The building oozes a decadence and splendour of a bygone era. Check-in sorted, up the magnificent staircases lined with marble, but with missing lightbulbs. The room was marvellous. Lofty ceilings, intricate carvings, comfortable furnishings, a fantastic view, and wet paint! No problem. Just opened the windows to let the smell out and 24 hours later, it was dry. I haven't seen a cathode ray tube TV for a long time, and it was still working. My only complaint is that there was only one shower gel each and half a bar of soap for a weekend stay.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
Hello and thank you for your comments following your stay with us. I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and wrote such a nice review. We did experience a computer crash which affected the whole of the Britannia Hotels and caused so many problems for all of our hotels. If you do return to stay with us, please ask for extra toiletries, as this would not be a problem at all. Once again, many thanks for taking the time.
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2012

stayed at this hotel 13th to 15th nov. good room good food at a good pricewho could ask for more. not to mention real good staff. would not think twice about staying again. went to the cavern club bit pricey but great surroundings. shoppers paradise.

Room Tip: ask for a one with four poster bed.bril.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Hello and thank you for your kind comments, following your stay with us. I am delighted you enjoyed your time with and spent the time to write such a nice review. Once again, many thanks.
Hull, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2012

We stayed at the Adelphi as part of a National Holiday coach trip. The hotel is dated, but it was great value. It couldn't be any more central, and although the decor could do with soe serious updating, the rooms were large and comfortable, and even though we were on an upper floor the water pressure in the room was spot on and we have serveral lovely deep hot baths which was perfect after a hard days shopping! We stayed as part of an all inclusive trip and the food was lovely. I'm a truely picky eater, but there was plenty to choose from. The restaurant was self service and looked like a school canteen, but you couldn't fault the food, especially the breakfast :-) We've been on a few National Holidays trips and they're great value. They're not full of the blue-rinse brigade as we thought - there's a real mix of folks.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Emma P
Hello and thank you for your comments, following your recent stay with us. National Holidays are one of our biggest clients, so I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and wrote such a lovely review. I hope this helps other people who may be considering staying with us, to come along and enjoy the same experience you did.
Darlington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2012

I stayed here for a reunion weekend in Liverpool and wasn't disappointed, I got off the train at Liverpool Lime Street and as soon as I came out of the station I saw the Adelphi Hotel sign, less than 5 minutes later I was in reception checking in, well I say checking in, actually I stood in a queue waiting to check in, this isn't the best organised reception and everybody had to queue, there were three people checking guests in and they were doing their best, so you just have to be patient. If the queue is too big take time to visit the bar and have a drink while waiting for the queue to go down a little. The room was clean, although very warm, the bathroom although dated was clean and there was plenty of hot water, food was fine, all edible and warm, dinner is a help yourself buffet and there was plenty of selection. Step out of the front of the hotel and within 5 minutes you are in the middle of the shopping centre, and probably about a 10 minute walk to the Cavern Quarter, all in all a nice hotel with clean rooms and good food, would I return, yes I am going back in November 2013!!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank Gary534
Hello and thank you for your comments following your stay with us. I am delighted you enjoyed your experience with us and the only downfall was the wait to check in. Normally our check ins work like clock work, so I cannot understand what happend on this occasion. Once again many thanks for taking the time to write to us.
London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2012

We booked the Adelphi for a weekend break for my husband and myself. The hotel had a legendary reputation amongst my family who emigrated from Liverpool to Canada in the 50s and it was always referred to as posh beyond dreams. 'One day', my mum used to say,'I'll go back and stay at the Adelphi'. She never did and perhaps just as well. It was weird beyond belief. We had asked for a room with a view and instead got a small filthy box stinking of cigarette smoke and stale beer. The view was of a service shaft and windowledges encrusted with pigeon droppings. When my husband went down to reception to ask for an alternative, he was given a handful of keys and told to choose whichever one he preferred. In the handful was the key to the Presidential suite complete with dining table and chairs, two sofas and a jacuzzi bathroom so we took that. For the same price as the box room! Our experience as two adult Goldilocks wandering round unsupervised trying out the various rooms was bizarre. The suite wasn't cleaned the whole time we were there but that didn't matter and we never got any sense out of any of the staff when we could find them so we gave up asking where attractions were. At around £20 a day, the parking probably cost more than the room. One thing that did happen though was that someone came into our room in the middle of the night: we'd locked the door so they must have had a key and they scarpered before we could sight of them. A bit scary to say the least. Stay there if you must but insist on the Presidential Suite and push the dining table against the door.

Room Tip: Ask for the Presidential suite.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank LJC49
Hello and thank you for your comments following your stay with us. I am sorry you did not enjoy your time here and apologise for the shortfalls you experienced. We do not have a Presidential Suite, so I am assuming you had one of our 28 Jacuzzi bedrooms, which we were able to offer you at the same rate. I have looked in the Reports Diary and cannot find any report to reception that you room was not serviced, so I apologise for this being overlooked by housekeeping.

We do have 3 stands of literature in the main reception, which holds around 300 leaflets of the attractions in Liverpool so again I apologise if these were not pointed out to you.

Car parking is £12.00 per night, which is in line with other car parks in the area.

All bedrooms are allocated an automated key card, so I cannot understand how anyone could have entered your room and again I cannot find any report of this incident.

I hope this will not deter you from using the hotel again.

Travellers are raving about these Liverpool hotels

Bridgend, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2012

We stayed here on a weekend trip package. Coach/Bed+Breakfast/Everning meal and a 99p bar until 11pm. Must say that the food was really nice, rooms v clean and the 99p bar was fab! The hotel is so central and perfect for shopping/sightseeing and nice and close to the pubs (Cavern Club is not too far to walk to either - and worth a visit for the live music). There is only one little niggle about the hotel - its really warm in the rooms, the windows are only able to open ajar.. Apart from that, spot on for a weekend in Liverpool - have been twice now...

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Mandy P
Hello and thank you so much for your comments following your stay with us. I am delighted you enjoyed your time here and really appareciate you taking the time to write such a good review.