“Hard working staff but some need a charm offensive.”

Adelphi Hotel & Spa
Ranked #73 of 99 Hotels in Liverpool
scotland
“Hard working staff but some need a charm offensive.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2012

Like many of the reviewers I found the location perfect. Our room was on the sixth floor. Quite spacious with plenty of drawers for storage and hangers. Bathroom was good with plentiful hot water at all times and good sized towels. Good shower, good hairdryer. Bed was comfortable enough but soo narrow.Smallest I have ever encountered. Housekeeping came early in the day which I prefer and were very efficient.There is now free wifi in the bedrooms as well as public areas which is a real bonus being able to access the internet early or late without going downstairs , especially as there aren't many tv channels or a great signal on some channels. Breakfast was overcrowded with tables too close together so you kept getting bumped by people going to the buffet especially the elderly coach passengers ,many of whom had mobility problems or walked with sticks, very wearing. However food was excellent ,fresh and plentiful.Great selection,even for veggies. As quickly as a dish of food emptied it was replaced.The waiting staff coped very well , quickly resetting tables and making sure everyone was seated.Staggered dinner times meant the restaurant was much quieter and uncrowded and the food was of a really high standard and the choice of desserts good too.No coffee in the restaurant .We were shown to a different area with flasks which were mostly empty.The restaurant itself was very attractive.There weren't many lifts and they took a while. The hotel is not the grand old lady she may once have been but is still full of character and with a hard working , if a little dour staff. Not many smiles or warm welcomes in evidence. I know it is a tough job and it was dark November but the odd smile wouldn't have gone amiss. Other hotel staff manage it. Nice to feel welcome ; I didn't and although the waiting staff could not be faulted for their speed of service and attention by the end of our four days I was a bit fed up with the complete lack of friendliness. However I would go back though. Great value, great food. Glad I didn't meet George , the ghost I read about who apparently haunts the hotel on the 3rd floor.

Room Tip: Ours was on the sixth floor ,a fair walk from the lifts, no view but quiet .
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,494)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Combe Martin, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2012

We have used several Britannia group hotels before, with mixed results because, though part of a chain, each hotel seems to have its very own personality.
The Adelphi was simply great for a short break, and this has much to do with taking advantage of Britannia’s frequent offers. For Bed, Breakfast, Dinner and wine, we paid just over £30 per day each. Unbeatable.
The hotel was easy to find. We stood on the steps of Lime St station, looking at our directions, then looked up and could see the hotel from where we were.
It is a great marble, mahogany and chandelier monster of a place, heated like global warming isn’t a problem, jaded magnificence from another age, though spotlessly clean. Our room too was larger than we’d expected, with marble fireplace, high ceilings and a huge bathroom with fittings and fixtures to die for. No shower, unfortunately but you could actually fill the massive bath in 60 seconds from the tap resembling a village pump. It was wonderfully quiet too.
Breakfast and dinner was huge, varied, and well cooked and presented; something for everyone. Unlike other Britannia hotels, they had a line in patisseries which was sublime. Britannia coffee always disappoints and this was no exception. Knowing this in advance helped and we took our own coffee bags.
For two days, everything we wanted to see in Liverpool seemed only five minutes walk away. The Walker Gallery was great, as was The Tate and the Museum of Liverpool (which was fun). Shopping was brilliant and we took in the sights as we shopped; the Cathedrals, Chinatown, the docks and monuments.
All in all, despite its minor faults, The Adelphi was just about the best imaginable way of seeing and enjoying the city. Brilliant.

Room Tip: Check the website for great offers.
2 Thank Brimble
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2012 via mobile

I'm just back from a 3 nights in the adelphi hotel liverpool and I'm totally disappointed with the stay, first of all the lifts are too slow, the heat when you step out of the lift is unbearable I understand that this time of year heating is needed but it was sickening the heat of the corridors and the room!.. So then we enter our room that we were over priced for based on the quality we received, it was basically a box, with two single beds squashed against a wall, heating on full blast AGAIN it was dark wen we pulled the curtains to open a window it was a big square frosted glass window that didn't open AT ALL! On the other Side of the window was a staircase for staff presumably, then we noticed a fan sittin on a side table obviously no air con then, it was an utter disaster and a disgrace, on the website it states 402 en suite newly re-furnished bedrooms which to me is false advertisement, if ur thinkin of stayin here do not stay in room 216!!

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank Xsanzx

Travellers are raving about these Liverpool hotels

Bournemouth
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2012 via mobile

I stayed there for one night, on check in there system was down so was waiting 10 minutes for them to find details and then had to dispute what I had booked. The inner hotel looks very grand but if you start looking you immediately start spotting decay. The room was I'm sure in it's prime something special with tall ceilings, huge mirror and architectural detail but now it just needs repair there were cracks, chips in the furniture, decor tired old fashioned and the TV was tiny with poor reception and not even a quarter of the freeview channels. Needless to say I won't be staying there again.

• Stayed November 2012
Tyne & Wear
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2012

Four ladies in our party, with National trip.
Arrived Sunday 18th Nov for 2 days, Buddy Holly tribute weekend.
The hotel was full, leading up to xmas celebrations.
We had a very nice room spacious, with large bathroom.
There was a lot of people checking in same time as us, but it was done efficiently and without problem.
The evening meal was set out for a few hundred people i would estimate, but the meal was served very quickly and nice presentation, hot and very nice, no complaints at all, considering there was so many people to serve. Staff in dining room were very pleasant. we had a very good weekend.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
Downings, Co Donegal
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2012

I was a bit concerned about my stay in this hotel because I had been told it was run down, so I was pleasantly surprised on arrival. Yes it could do with a wee lick of paint in places but this was totally made up for by the feeling of stepping back in time. I thoroughly enjoyed exploring the grandeur of the hotel experiencing the fantastic architecture and style that has been left unspoilted by modern technology and decor. Our hotel room was very spacious, comfortable, clean with extemely comfortable beds. The staff were very helpful and you were always greeted with a smile. On the downside we decided to have dinner in Jennys Restaurant (which is one of two in the Adelphi) this was an experience I would not wish to repeat. We had the Roast Carvery Dinner, it was the worst food I have ever experienced in my life the Chef should be sacked! I would return to the Adelphi for its value, comfort and friendly staff but I would eat elsewhere.

Room Tip: Third Floor rooms excellent
Bellshill, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2012

My friend and I stayed here for one night with a Caledonian Tour on 18/19 November. It was fantastic. Our twin room (182) was on the first floor with a view to the main street.
The bathroom was enormous and the bedroom was stunning. We ere very pleased with our accomodation. The food was great and all staff were very pleasant.
There was a bit of chaos at check in (for coach tours its 3.30pm) but credit to the staff for dealing with it in a professional manner.
No complaints whatsoever. We are planning to return in March 2013 with more of our friends to celebrate St Patricks Day.

Room Tip: Request a street view at front of hotel. People watching is tremendous fun.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends