“Afternoon Tea in the Adelphi”

Adelphi Hotel & Spa
Ranked #74 of 98 Hotels in Liverpool
Reviewed 6 February 2013

My daughter and I went here for afternoon tea here after a recomendation from my mother-in -law. When we arrived there was nothing advertising the event outside the hotel. Inside the reception there was a sigh saying afternoon tea in a room up the stairs. Service was a bit slow and the sandwiches were on thick bread but we did thouroughlt enjoy it. It was £16.00 for the two of us, pot of tea, coffee or drink of your choice, 4 chicken triangle sandwihes & 4 carved ham sandwiches which were lovely. Side salad and crisps, and then we had a cream scone with jam and a strawberry & cream cake/flan. It was lovley to sit in the room with all its grandure we thouroughly enjoyed it and will do it again.
On the way out we nipped to the ladies as you do and there was a poster on the wall which said you could have an all you can eat buffet style lunch for £12.50 each (this is what my mother in law ment) I will certainly try that nect time.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
6  Thank NolaWarrington

Reviewed 6 February 2013

I stayed at the Adelphi last week as I was looking for a hotel near to the station. This much I was pleased with, it´s a good location close to all shops, bus and train stations etc etc. I booked online and I thought that 44 quid was a decent price for a single room. When I arrived I noticed that the prices advertised at the hotel were in fact 89 pounds so I thought I´d got a bargain booking online and well in advance. I was wrong. My room, although perfectly acceptable in size and ameneties adjoined the lift shaft and so I was subjected to the constant noise of a creaky old lift. Now, given the clients at this hotel, I knew that using the stairs to reach ones room was completely out of the question. The hotel appeared to attract solely the over 70´s and due to its shockingly outdated decor, it took me back to what an old folks home must have looked like 10 years before the start of the second world war. I was kept awake by the constant strains of the creaky lift. My room (102) should be closed and turned into a storage cupboard. There was no remote control for the TV. Two chaps came up and had a look at the TV and said they would return with a replacement, but they didn´t. I knew they wouldn´t. I get the feeling that this hotel was once a genuine grand establishment as the dining and meeting rooms are huge and impressive, but so dated. And it smells like it too. I did not eat or drink there so I cannot comment on the food but it wouldn´t surprise me if Boiled Cabbage was one of their best sellers.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Gazpacho68
Reviewed 5 February 2013

This is an old hotel and this becomes very apparent once you step inside, it is very dated and dare I say it, it smells a bit, and not in a good way. I spent two nights in the hotel as I was on a weekend break. My room was a single, it was a non smoking room and located right next door to the lift shafts (2 lifts). The noise level was extreme, it was like an earthquake every time the lift moved, which was all the time because there are over 400 rooms in the hotel. The staff; well some were efficient but cold like the reception staff. The bar staff were neither efficient nor friendly. The housekeeper on my floor decided to bang on my door at 8am, not exactly sure why as I hadn’t requested a wake up call and I had booked 2 nights. I had to shout at her not to come into my room as she couldn’t hear me over the roar of the lifts. The room itself was somewhat clean but very dated and very dark. I would recommend that you bring a 60watt bulb just so that you can see where your bed is. I didn’t eat in the hotel so I cannot comment on the food. As the title of this piece suggests, my biggest gripe was with the exchange rate charged by the hotel. I hadn’t actually noticed this at the reception desk when I checked in and paid the balance owed. The balance owed was £109. I paid with my Visa card but without explanation the hotel charged my card in Euro. The exchange rate on the date in question would suggest that I owed €127, however the hotel charged me €131. That’s a nice tidy profit of €4 for the hotel. It is something that all guests should be aware of especially if you are travelling from outside the UK. Please inform the hotel staff that you wish to pay in the local currency £ British Pound. Your credit card company will charge you the normal exchange rate whereas the hotel will charge you an exorbitant exchange rate.

Room Tip: Any room away from the lift shafts.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Michael O
Reviewed 4 February 2013

we booked this hotel through Edwards Coach Holidays 3days and a 99p bar

Excellent location, right in the town centre and we visited Anfield when we were staying

Dinner and breakfast was excellent, buffett style, ample food help yourself

Room Tip: higher floor the quietier
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank KarlandCathJohnson
Reviewed 4 February 2013

1 Feb. off to Liverpool with National Holidays 3 days 2 nights all inclusive £99. Bargain price great weekend. Easy pick up and quick journey arrived about 1400, Have stopped before at the Adelphi and knew what to expect. A very grand hotel although getting a little jaded now, room, food and staff warm, hot an friendly in that order. Liverpool is a great place to explore loads of history, attractions and shops for the wife. I can recommend the bus tour which you could hop on and off at various locations with the tickets lasting 2 days. Lots of night life but book early on line for major venues as the sell out quick. Some very good places to eat and plenty of bars. The Wok&Go near the hotel is a great little noodle bar and very reasonable for lunch. Be warned the hotel bar is very popular all day, with it's happy hour until 1700 and with all inclusive guests getting served it sometimes took upto 15 minutes to get a drink. Although it's quite large it soon fills up. We travelled with 16 friends which made it even harder to get seats. All in all through a great weekend and looking forward to the next.

Room Tip: The lower the floor the better as the lifts get very busy. The best rooms are at the front but you w...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 February 2013

stayed 4 nights all inclusive,last week in january,massive hotel,staff friendly,rooms,ok,abit tired,but very clean.tea and coffee facilities,plenty of storage,television.food pretty good,everything you want for breakfast,plenty of choice for dinner.bar an d entertainment good,location very good,most places of interest easy walking distance.downside,too many steps and stairs.2 flights of stairs down to restaraunt,then 4 steps to collect food,also 1 flight stairs to bar.lifts were terrible,only take 3 or 4 people,depending on weight,sometimes 20 minute wait in queu,we were on 6th floor,so had no choice to wait.i am disabled,very inconvenient.all in all,good hotel,but not for diabled people

Room Tip: get a 1st floor room
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 February 2013

Me and my partner have just returned from a weekend at this hotel. Checkin was quick and efficient and even with the mix up over payment the staff at check out dealt with this amazingly.

The hotel is old and therefore has old lifts so the majority of the time we used the stairs this wasnt an issue for us.

The room was clean and tidy a little small for a double room but we saw this as cosy.

The location was really good slap bang in the middle of the city.

All in all I would recommend the hotel

• Stayed: February 2013