“Great Hotel”

Ranked #73 of 97 Hotels in Liverpool
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Great Hotel”
Reviewed 7 February 2013

stayed here for 2 nights and found the hotel to be great bit dated but still not bad, comfy bed and the price of the drink in the wave bar was excellent and great atmosphere so would definly stay here agin in the future no doubt about it. sort of average hotel overall but the location was a big draw banhg central to everything required !!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,513)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Bedlington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 February 2013

Spent a couple of days here on a national express trip, yes we were in the more dated part of the hotel but it was clean and comfortable. Service from the staff was very good as was the food, this hotel has a lovely atmosphere. Shame about the greedy guests at dinner taking more than one pudding each, the poor staff couldn't keep up with the disappearing pudd fridge. Maybe the management should have a member of staff giving them out. I'm looking forward to my next visit but think ill be upgrading .

Room Tip: Ask for a view at the front.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
Leominster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 February 2013

I visited this hotel as I was hoping for a warm place to wait and a good coffee while waiting for my son.
It's central location and grand architecture suggested I could expect good customer service even if it might be pricey.
The brochure said it had 400 part time/full time staff but they didn't seem to want to look after customers. After waiting 20 minutes I checked I was in the right place to order. I was assured yes by the three reception staff.I then waited a further 10 minutes watching numerous waiters? stroll through the ballroom avoiding eye contact.
I did eventually complain to the duty manager who dealt with it reasonably by passing my order through 3 other people so eventually I received the worst coffee I have had in years!!!! It was in an old 60's stained pot and had a bitter taste as if it was left over on the perculator from breakfast. It came with a plate of 'family circle' biscuits on a grubby tray with a paper doiley! At £2.50 it was cheap and aweful..I would have preferred to pay £5.00 for something better.
The place is dated and grubby with cheap background music chosen to soothe the staff not for the customers enjoyment.
All in all it was a sad visit with a beautiful building being used badly by people who should know better.
Don't bother to go here...it is only interested in coach loads of pensioners and Americans.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Liverpool hotels

Warrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 February 2013

My daughter and I went here for afternoon tea here after a recomendation from my mother-in -law. When we arrived there was nothing advertising the event outside the hotel. Inside the reception there was a sigh saying afternoon tea in a room up the stairs. Service was a bit slow and the sandwiches were on thick bread but we did thouroughlt enjoy it. It was £16.00 for the two of us, pot of tea, coffee or drink of your choice, 4 chicken triangle sandwihes & 4 carved ham sandwiches which were lovely. Side salad and crisps, and then we had a cream scone with jam and a strawberry & cream cake/flan. It was lovley to sit in the room with all its grandure we thouroughly enjoyed it and will do it again.
On the way out we nipped to the ladies as you do and there was a poster on the wall which said you could have an all you can eat buffet style lunch for £12.50 each (this is what my mother in law ment) I will certainly try that nect time.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
6 Thank NolaWarrington
Dusseldorf, Germany
Reviewed 6 February 2013

I stayed at the Adelphi last week as I was looking for a hotel near to the station. This much I was pleased with, it´s a good location close to all shops, bus and train stations etc etc. I booked online and I thought that 44 quid was a decent price for a single room. When I arrived I noticed that the prices advertised at the hotel were in fact 89 pounds so I thought I´d got a bargain booking online and well in advance. I was wrong. My room, although perfectly acceptable in size and ameneties adjoined the lift shaft and so I was subjected to the constant noise of a creaky old lift. Now, given the clients at this hotel, I knew that using the stairs to reach ones room was completely out of the question. The hotel appeared to attract solely the over 70´s and due to its shockingly outdated decor, it took me back to what an old folks home must have looked like 10 years before the start of the second world war. I was kept awake by the constant strains of the creaky lift. My room (102) should be closed and turned into a storage cupboard. There was no remote control for the TV. Two chaps came up and had a look at the TV and said they would return with a replacement, but they didn´t. I knew they wouldn´t. I get the feeling that this hotel was once a genuine grand establishment as the dining and meeting rooms are huge and impressive, but so dated. And it smells like it too. I did not eat or drink there so I cannot comment on the food but it wouldn´t surprise me if Boiled Cabbage was one of their best sellers.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Gazpacho68
Galway
Reviewed 5 February 2013

This is an old hotel and this becomes very apparent once you step inside, it is very dated and dare I say it, it smells a bit, and not in a good way. I spent two nights in the hotel as I was on a weekend break. My room was a single, it was a non smoking room and located right next door to the lift shafts (2 lifts). The noise level was extreme, it was like an earthquake every time the lift moved, which was all the time because there are over 400 rooms in the hotel. The staff; well some were efficient but cold like the reception staff. The bar staff were neither efficient nor friendly. The housekeeper on my floor decided to bang on my door at 8am, not exactly sure why as I hadn’t requested a wake up call and I had booked 2 nights. I had to shout at her not to come into my room as she couldn’t hear me over the roar of the lifts. The room itself was somewhat clean but very dated and very dark. I would recommend that you bring a 60watt bulb just so that you can see where your bed is. I didn’t eat in the hotel so I cannot comment on the food. As the title of this piece suggests, my biggest gripe was with the exchange rate charged by the hotel. I hadn’t actually noticed this at the reception desk when I checked in and paid the balance owed. The balance owed was £109. I paid with my Visa card but without explanation the hotel charged my card in Euro. The exchange rate on the date in question would suggest that I owed €127, however the hotel charged me €131. That’s a nice tidy profit of €4 for the hotel. It is something that all guests should be aware of especially if you are travelling from outside the UK. Please inform the hotel staff that you wish to pay in the local currency £ British Pound. Your credit card company will charge you the normal exchange rate whereas the hotel will charge you an exorbitant exchange rate.

Room Tip: Any room away from the lift shafts.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Michael O
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 February 2013

we booked this hotel through Edwards Coach Holidays 3days and a 99p bar

Excellent location, right in the town centre and we visited Anfield when we were staying

Dinner and breakfast was excellent, buffett style, ample food help yourself

Room Tip: higher floor the quietier
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple