“Okay for price”

St Helens, United Kingdom
“Okay for price”
Reviewed 7 December 2013

Stayed for 1 night after trip home from London
What we want is a clean comfortable bed and bathroom which we got.however Furniture needs pulling out and hoovering behind.Watch prices for room service as they are higher than advertised, when we queried this just told that prices shown in room are wrong,
Very grand looking from outside and downstairs but generally needs refurb.
Staff at breakfast and housekeeping staff freindly

Room Tip: room on 6th floor overlooked centre of hotel and was very quiet
1 Thank joanho25
adelphimanager1, Guest Relations Manager at Adelphi Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 10 December 2013
Thank you for your comments after staying with us recently. I am pleased to hear that your stay was enjoyable, although you say the bedroom could have done with a hoovering. I will make sure our housekeeper is aware of your comments. I will also ensure that the room service information is correct, so thank you for pointing that out to us. The staff are very friendly here and I am glad this was obvious during your stay. Many thanks once again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,544)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Richmond, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 December 2013

On booking the Adelphi we were realistic in our expectations, the price was cheap and it is common knowledge this grand establishment had seen better days. The public areas still possess the grandeur of a bygone era though at the time of our visit there was very little choice of places to eat with only one restaurant open, do we dined out.
The room on the 6th floor was seedy and in need of decoration, the en-suite bore no resemblence to the web photos and the white plastic toilet seat on a beige toilet was only outdone by the plastic overflow pipe sticking through the wall and into the bath.
Attention to detail was somewhat lacking, the spare toilet roll looked like it been dropped in the toilet at some point and the 2 sachets of coffee were a poor offering.
The hotel is perfectly located in the centre of the city and there are plenty of pubs and restaurants
nearby. My 3 star rating is only 3 and not 2 because of the low price we paid, £35

Room Tip: I would hope paying more would result in a better room, but will probably not risk another trip to f...
2 Thank john s
Thank you for your comments after staying with us earlier this month. 6th floor rooms are in our redecorate programme for next year, but I certainly do not accept that any of them are 'seedy'!!!! We are perfectly located and I do agree we have great offers on and good value for money.
Glasgow
Reviewed 6 December 2013

My friend and I stayed in the Adelphi last week on a 2 night stay with an Urqhart Coach tour. When I go on these tours I do not expect much as the price is so reasonable. However, after reading some of the reviews of this hotel we were very pleasantly surprised. These coach tours are a great means of getting to places cheaply and my friend and I had wanted to visit Liverpool for different reasons and the hotel was only a stones throw from everything we wanted to visit. The room we had 261, was great. A huge twin bedded room with a couch, lovely high ceiling, fitted wardobes and dressing table, t.v., hairdryer, coffee table with a real good hospitality tray. Bathroom was big with bath and shower and the usual toiletries provided. The heating was great, a bit too hot but we opened our window and were fine. We faced the back of hotel which was good as no traffic noise. There was a cracked tile in bathroom that could be fixed, but not a big deal. Read that someone was disapointed at not having a flat screen t.v.! If it works with all the freeview channels, why would you want one. It wouldn't be fitting to the decor of the room. We were transported back in time and loved that! The corridors are very long indeed but reflects the period this hotel was built in.
The dining experience was a different kettle of fish! Jenny's restraunt reminded me of the school dinner hall, but that wasn't a problem, the self service buffet was! The food itself was good and the choice too but we had to queue for everything as the food was not replenished fast enough. If you had taken your plate and had vegies on it, stood in a line to get your choice of main dish, that platter was usually away getting re-filled, you than thought, och, I'll just take the fish, oh no, empty too! 10 minutes later which happened our 2nd night the rest of our meal was cold by the time we got our meat. Some people were filling there plates with desserts in the meantime to make sure they got their choice so when we went for ours there was hardly anything left. Another lengthy queue! On our last morning the situe with eggs was diabolical. They were being replenished when I joined the line but when they were brought out there was not enough of them to feed the queue so another long wait with every other thing on your plate stone cold. Not good enough! Coffee was already sitting on your table in a thermal jug but was stone cold. For tea you had to catch the eye of a waitress who would go and get a kettle of tea to go round the tables. They were hard working youngsters, just not enough of them to go round. I never saw a teaspoon yet! Do they have any? I have stayed in many hotels abroad who serve buffet on a far bigger scale than this hotel and someone goes around to make sure nothing runs out. This is simply bad management, nothing else!
The public areas of the hotel are beautiful. You are transported back in time. Lots and lots of stairs into beautiful reception lounges and a theatre which we didn't know about 'till our last night. The girl singer who we only discovered with 10 mins of her show to go was really good!
there are 4 bars that we came across, nice and cosy but with over inflated prices. Scots are not used to paying over the odds for very, very small measures! There is a good leisure centre, with pool, spin and gym and cafe area.
My chum and I were o.k. with the hotel because of the price we paid, but obviously, the folk who pay the real price of rooms are in a far superior part of the hotel and a really far superior restraunt. Our dining area had a bain marie that wan't used.The old adage, you get what you pay for, but I do expect warm food! Management, get your act together for the bus tours who must bring you lots of guests!

Room Tip: Room 261 was excellent! We had the room with 7 mirrors that another reviewer talked about. One was i...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Hello and many thanks for your comments after staying with as part of David Urqhurt party. I am pleased you were impressed with your room and the hotel itself, but your comments on the restaurant and food was disappointing and I am sorry you were less impressed with that aspect of your stay. But thank you once again for taking the time to write.
suffolk uk
Reviewed 6 December 2013

impressed with the foyer but that is were it stops. stayed here this week for 2 nights as part of a group deal. the room was large no view windows too dirty thick dirt under the radiator, beds clean but mattress very hard and uncomfortable for me might suit others though. chairs in the american bar were grubby and seating torn. This once grand hotel has definitely seen better days.
The meals were ok nothing special but adequate for what we paid for this deal.

Room Tip: some doubles apparently very small ask for a twin as these appear to be larger
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Thankyou for your review after staying with us recently. I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us, but thankyou anyway for taking the time to write.

Travellers are raving about these Liverpool hotels

Luton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 December 2013

I booked this hotel as a last minute thing, and after reading the reviews was a little worried that I had not chosen well. I arrived to a long queue at reception which was a bit worrying to start, I think more than 1 receptionist at 2pm when the world and his wife are checking in maybe something that The Adelphi management should look at!!! The hotel is very grand with its chandlers high decretive ceilings, which I thought were fantastic. I reached the room which was very large clean with a jacuzzi bath.....bubbles are great with a glass of wine! I agree that this hotel does need a bit of TLC but it's more than adequate for what I needed. A 5 min walk to the shops.. Ideal location! This is a fantastic city to visit and I enjoyed my stay at the Adelphi. It's not everyone's cup if tea but worth visiting to make your own mind up.

• Stayed December 2013
Thank you for your review after staying with us earlier this month. There are always 3 receptionists on duty each shift, so I do not understand why you only witnessed 1 working that check in. I am pleased you enjoyed your time with us and hope other readers will take heed of what you have said and come and see for themselves what we are like. Many thanks
Bolton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 December 2013 via mobile

Stayed at the hotel as part of a groupon deal, room given was large no view and out of the way, accessible by going in lift, to the first floor then going back down some stairs to mezzanine level on plus side very quiet bed comfy. Carpet worn especially at bathroom door so had to be careful walking in night bathroom very tired with brown grout splashed around. Breakfast fine plenty to eat, paid car park at desk but could have paid at machine anyway. Location of hotel is great short walk to main shopping parts, and liverpool one. Would stay again due to location if got good price.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
adelphimanager1, Guest Relations Manager at Adelphi Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 9 December 2013
Hello and thank you for your comments after staying with us earlier this month. I am sorry about the worn carpet I shall have our housekeeper check all the rooms to ensure we do not have any accidents. Breakfast is always popular here, I am glad you agree. Parking is payable at both the carpark and for guests convenicence at reception. We offer great value for money, so I sure you will be here again before too long.
derby
Reviewed 5 December 2013

Ok so I when i booked this the reviews where good, then i checked just before arriving here and they where terrible!! I emailed the hotel about my concerns before hand but had no reply what so ever!!!!
we arrived at 2pm check in ok, i asked the lady (who was large and had blonde hair) if my room was ready, her reply was yes, so off we go to our room only to discover it had not been done! I rang down to reception and he then said you were told your room would not be ready!! Are you calling me a liar!!! I no what she said, but he was adament it was me, if id of known my room wasnt ready i wouldnt of gone up to it!!!!!

We went out and when we did come back it was finally ready, spacious rooms but very old fashioned. couldn't shut any of the windows properly so you could hear everthing outside. This hotel is in serious need of TLC!!

Glad we only paid £49 if id of paid full price i think i would of demanded my money back, it was full of old folks i think we were the youngest there, breakfast was like a cattle market.

The best thing about this hotel is the location!!!

Room Tip: Get one where the windows shut!!!!!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your comments after staying with us earlier this month. First of all I would like to ask who you emailed at the hotel regarding your concerns as it would have been directed to me for reply and I do not recall receiving it, so my apologies for that. I am sorry that your room was not ready and also that you were checked into an unserviced room. Our rooms are very spacious and I will get our maintenance team to check the windows in all the rooms as part of an ongoing check. We have a very mixed age group here at weekends, especially when Liverpool are playing at home, so I do think your 'saga' comment a bit unfair.