“Does the job but going down hill”

Adelphi Hotel & Spa
Ranked #75 of 99 Hotels in Liverpool
Reviewed 24 December 2013

I have stayed in the Adelphi on approximately 5 occasions over the past 8 years, plus attended a number of functions at the hotel. My most recent visit was for a birthday celebration on a Saturday night. We booked three rooms at a very good price. In fact, I was surprised at how cheap the fees were for a Saturday night for such a central location: £35 for single rooms and £45 for twin rooms.

The plus points are what makes the Adelphi a good choice, but a number of negatives have begun creeping in lately and this means I can only give it a 3 star.

Advantages:

It's next door to the main train station (Lime Street), plus shops and entertainment are all within walking distance, so you might find a taxi is not needed. In any case, there is a taxi rank on the road next to the hotel - just turn right outside the reception door.

The reception area, function rooms are very grand, easily impressive enough to warrant a higher star rating if the 'rough edges' of this establishment were corrected. The hotel rooms vary. Many are very large and contain period features, so you feel as though you're living in times gone by.

We never had the opportunity to try the food this time around, although last time I stayed, it was acceptable. Having said that, it must have been over 6 years ago so the standard may differ nowadays.

The reception staff are friendly despite the slow booking system and consequent queues that gather as a result of this. The hotel has a number of bars, a gym, various eateries and (I think) room service.

Disadvantages:

The hotel rooms are run-down and a bit shabby in parts, despite the elegant period features. They are not disgraceful, but not up to the standard one would expect. For example, door frames need painting, lamp shades look faded and dated, the bathrooms need upgrading, fixtures and fittings are tired. Televisions are in the room but the old "box style" TVs, at least in the rooms I witnessed this time around.

It is important to check what you may think are wardrobe doors. One of my party's rooms had a "secret corridor" attached to the room, which lead into another guest's bathroom. It was only accessible one-way, meaning the unknown guest could not access my friend's room. This is obviously a massive security risk since mobiles and other items were seen in full view, both on the bed and in the bathroom. (We could only assume that this was to be a shared bathroom for both rooms, yet the booking was for two separate groups).

Check out is a 11am, but irritatingly a chambermaid walked down the corridor knocking on each guest's door at 9.45am/10am to alert us of the checkout time, despite the fact we already knew this. And because of the internal fire doors within the rooms, even if the maid was knocking on another door, it sounded as if it was my room, so I was continually answering the door (even if there was nobody there). This is a major disappointment and a practice you do not find at similar priced hotels, like Premier Inn.

My room was designated "no smoking", but it smelled of smoke, as other reviews have suggested. On return home, my bed clothes smelled of smoke from the hotel sheets. Again, another issue that impacts badly on the Adelphi and Britannia brand. Not impressed due to the fact I have asthma. Does the hotel even consider guests when letting out rooms filled with smoke smell? I bet it didn't even cross their mind.

Overall, can't really complain at the price for 1 night stay, but seriously this hotel could be fantastic. At the moment I can't help but think the owners want to run it down into the ground. For shame as it's a perfect example of a traditional classic hotel.

Room Tip: I hear the first 2 floors have the better period features, but I cannot confirm this. I stayed on th...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (6,114)

Reviewed 24 December 2013

My husband and I visited and stayed on Sunday night. The reception staff were not very welcolming at all and the queues to check in were very long and time consuming so much so we left the hotel and went back three hours later to check in. No information was given of when and where the breakfast would be served the following morning. The breakfast had a good selection to suite most diets and visitors. The room was very dated and looked like a bedroom from the 1970's. The room was clean and the bathroom very dated with the hotel branding on nearly everything. The room was very hot and we could not alter the temp of the room either by the controls or by the radiator valve. The windows did not open so goodness what would have happened if there had been a fire and the window was our only way of escape.
The main public rooms are quite well maintained but the bedrooms need sorting. There were problems with the lifts. You could go up in any of the lifts but could only come down in others as buttons to request the lift were broken.

Room Tip: The higher the room the quietier it will be.
1  Thank JayneP49
Reviewed 23 December 2013

asked for a non-smoking room but smelt smoke everywhere, not just around my room but all through the hallways. beautiful on the outside and fab reception, but then rooms and hallways showed wear and tear and were just drab, old fashioned, whole room was in need of decorating and freshening up. completely different from the flash reception. lift was broken also on our floor. location wise yeah great but there are plenty of hotels in that area, like holidayinn, marriot etc.

Reviewed 22 December 2013 via mobile

This is the second time we've stayed at The Adelphi and we love it. Unlike the soulless travelodges/premier inns/ibis etc type places, this is a hotel that's 100 years old and has had people like Charles Dickins and Winston Churchill stay here.

If you like modern and slick, this isn't going to be the hotel for you as the Adelphi is old and a bit tatty in places, but you'll only find this part of the charm if you can really appreciate the history and Art Deco surroundings.

We got a deal on the hotel from Expedia who charged us £41 which was for a double room and buffet breakfasts for us both (these are normally £11.50) so it was a total bargain!!!

If you go by car, there is a public car park at the back of the hotel which is £12 for 24 hours, and you can pay either on the machine or in the hotel.

Breakfast was buffet style with everything you'd expect - fried and scrambled eggs, sausage, bacon, hash browns, black pudding, mushrooms, beans, toast, cereals, pastries etc. it was all fresh and very tasty.

My only gripe that while coffee was left on the tables to help yourself to, you had to wait for staff to come round with the tea, which was a little frustrating, particularly as the cups are small so you need a few!!! It would have been much easier if I could have just asked for a pot of tea!!

The room had lots of tea and coffee (fair trade), the bathroom was all marble and lovely Art Deco style. We were also asked if we would like a smoking or non smoking room which came as a bit of a shock as we've always assumed all hotels were non smoking these days!!!

It's also worth having a wander around the hotel as there's some really interesting rooms etc, especially the lounge and swimming pool which make you feel you're on the film set of 'Downton Abby'.

All in all, we love this hotel for a bit of old school glamour and the fact it's right in the centre of liverpool. If this doesn't appeal to you then please book somewhere else as it's unfair that this hotel gets bad reviews for not being what it doesn't claim to be!!! It's a great value, 100 year old, 3 star hotel with history and interesting features and for this reason I think it's fantastic!!!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank dmorgan202
Reviewed 22 December 2013

I stayed in this hotel in December. I managed to secure a last minute deal and paid £35 for my room.

The hotel itself is wonderfully located, right next to Liverpool Lime Street and Liverpool Central station. It is less than 5 minute walk to Liverpool One Shopping Centre and the town centre.

I arrived at 16:00 and there was a long queue to check in, which took around 10 minutes. I have to say that the hotel is very grand, with a spectacular entrance hall. It is true that the hotel is a little tired, however, the grandness of the hotel is still very evident.

My room was located on the 6th floor. Annoyingly, the two room keys I was given had not been activated properly and I had to go downstairs and queue again at the reception to have my keys reactivated. This, however, would be my only complaint.

I only paid for a single room but I had been upgraded to a double room. The room itself was big, clean and the bed was very comfortable. The bathroom was also clean and had a bath. The room had plenty of facilities such as a kettle and TV.

I checked out mid morning, again there was a queue at the reception but once I spoke to the staff they were very friendly and helpful. It is possible to leave luggage at the hotel, which was very useful for me as the purpose of my stay was to visit Anfield for the Saturday early kick off.

I would recommend this hotel to others based on my experiences here. I think I would have been disappointed had I paid the standard rate, but the deal I got was definitely a bargain and if the hotel offered similar rates in the future I would have no hesitation in visiting the hotel again in the future.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Joe J
Reviewed 22 December 2013

If you book on line, the room rate is £35 per night! At this price, I wasn't expecting much but was pleasantly surprised. I should point out that extras bump the price up - car parking is £11 per day and breakfast £12, but still represents fantastic value.
The hotel is excellently situated a few steps from central Liverpool. Beware of the revolving doors in the entrance lobby - they have a mind of their own. Check in was straight forward, although there is a queue at reception at peak times. My room was spacious, comfortable and had rather a grand feeling. The bathroom was a testament to the 70s; the shower didn't work but water pressure was such that you could run a bath in a few minutes. There was no view from the room but I didn't expect one for that price.
The decor in the hotel is a mixture of wildly opulent with tired shabbiness. The ceilings are high, corridors wide, chandeliers everywhere; the ballroom is magnificent and worth a peek if you're passing. I didn't dine in the hotel but I noted there is a choice of restaurants - one buffet style plus an a la carte. Breakfast in the morning was reasonable - fine if you like a cooked breakfast but no fresh fruit.
There is an excellent gym and swimming pool on site - again a small extra charge if you pay the internet room rate.
I had booked 2 nights but had to leave a day early - I didn't expect a refund when I checked out, but was very pleased to receive a refund both for the room and car parking: that's what I call customer service!
Overall, I felt that the Adelphi would be be my first choice for a short break in Liverpool - it has wonderful character, centrally situated, reasonably comfortable, great facilities and an unbeatable price.

Room Tip: Request non smoking quiet
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
adelphimanager1, Guest Relations Manager at Adelphi Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 23 December 2013

Thank you so much for your honest review, it was a pleasure to read. I think overal that you did enjoy your stay with us and would return. Its lovely to know we would be your first choice if you ever returned to Liverpool. Many thanks once again.

Reviewed 21 December 2013

After reading all the negative reviews, I thought I'd try to add some positivity and balance things out a little!

What a wonderfully historic hotel this is. From the moment you enter the beautifully marbled reception through the revolving door, the grandeur cannot be ignored. The receptionist was very helpful and there was not a long wait to get checked in. We stayed using a Groupon voucher and as always you hope for the best but I must say we got lucky. Our room, 313, was very spacious with a completely separate marble tiled art-deco style bathroom. The bedroom itself was huge with lovely high ceilings, the furniture was a little dated but that adds to the style and atmosphere of the place.

The only thing I can complain about with the room was the temperature, it was too hot and there was no option to turn the heating down. We only stayed one night so just put up with it - no big deal really.

Our deal was dinner, bed and breakfast all for £64. What great value for money we received. The food although not ala carte by any means was very nice and there appeared to be something for everyone. We enjoyed a drink in the lounge which was very elegant and grand.

There is no denying this is an old hotel and I can't imagine how much money it takes to keep it ticking over so yes maybe I am a little biased as we had a great room and enjoyed our stay very much. I do feel for those people who didn't get a nice room, didn't get good service or just don't appreciate the history that goes with this hotel but as I said we had a great time and enjoyed the majestic atmosphere.

PS one of the lifts wasn't working and there was a large queue for the remaining lift which some people might have complained about but for us it was an opportunity to see the beautifully marbled staircase.

Room Tip: I understand the first 4 floors are the most original and are more spacious.
1  Thank LeedsKatieT

Hello and thank you for your lovely comments after staying with us recently. I am so pleased when I read reviews from guests who decide to come and try us out for themselves, rather than be influenced by others who have stayed here. Everything you say is absolutely correct and I couldnt have put it better myself. Thank you once again.