“Good value”

Adelphi Hotel & Spa
Ranked #74 of 98 Hotels in Liverpool
Reviewed 10 January 2014

If you class this as a big bed and breakfast rather than hotel it ticks all the boxes,yes it's dated but clean,loads of hot water and comfortable room. I paid £45 for double room so great value and good location

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mattytColchester
There are newer reviews for Adelphi Hotel & Spa

Reviewed 10 January 2014

a party of 4 friends ,we went on a national holidays coach trip to this hotel ,the hotel and room was excellent also the food we were told that we were on atwo for one drinks deal and we had to go to the Kensington suite to have this ,one of the party is parly disabled and after a10 minutewalk down various badly signed passages and several flights of stairs we found the room what an anti climax a gigantic basement hall with 6 people there nearly all getting one drink then trudging back up to civilisation upstairs our friend had to get the barman to escort her thru the kitchen to a service lift to get out, to much effort to get back up the stairs,this hotel is not wheel chair friendly,and agood stay spoilt by a mindless trip down to the Kensington suite

Room Tip: take a set of ear plugs student accomadation on side streets can be noisy all hours
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 January 2014 via mobile

Myself and my fiancé booked 2 nights at the Adelphi hotel.

The hotel is in a good central position and does have parking. The parking is an open, gravel car park behind the hotel and £12 for 24 hours. The website doesn't claim the parking is anything other than this but I don't feel it is forth coming with the type of parking it is either. It is rare for a city centre hotel to have as big a car park which is good but we didn't like that this was what we arrived too. I feel that if we had know we would have probably planned somewhere else to park before we arrived.

Check in was from 2pm and we arrived at 3:30ish. There was no one waiting to check in so it wasn't a long process like many have said. The receptionist was fine. We both work in customer service and I don't feel we were given the best service but it wasn't the worst I've had either. We were told very quickly times of meals and also the general direction of the restaurant but still found ourselves wandering around for a few mins at dinner time before we realised the entrance to the restaurant was down stairs. I would like to stress that the service really wasn't bad. Just not as cheerful or 'going the extra mile' I would attempt to provide in my role so I'm possibly a bit pickier than others.

Our room was on the 6th floor and both lifts were working so no issues there. As we were on the top floor, and away from the lifts, we really had no noise which was good. The rooms are dated with paint peeling and a miss match of lamps etc. also the tv is a big box tv but that only adds to the fact it's dated and not that it made our 'telly viewing experience' less enjoyable. It wasn't spotlessly clean but we put most of what looked like dust/dirt down to the fact it was dated, wear and tear as opposed to it being very unclean. The shower leaked at the top and was very powerful (powerful good) so the water pressure caused it to spray everywhere which meant I needed to use one of the towels to mop up after. Also the water would be comfortable for a few minutes and then go scolding hot which did burn both myself and my partner.

I have 2 recent slipped discs and so the bed being firm was of benefit to me and we had enough pillows.

The breakfast meals are ok. Edible but not fantastic. Tea/coffee needed to be flagged down.

We ate in the restaurant as we had our meals included. There were 3 choices each night. Now..... The food was absolutely disgusting. My partner joked that it was like school dinners but I felt that it was a lot worse. The meat looked like processed meat and wasn't what I expected from the advertised 'carvery'. There wasn't a lot of room between tables which would have been fine if it was a normal restaurant but was a nuisance with it being a buffet and having to get up for starter then main then dessert as well as glasses of water. Again tea and coffee was difficult to flag down.

On the second night I only had soup as really couldn't face another processed meal. I'd like to stress that I am not an overly fussy eater but had completely lost my appetite.

We felt the person that seated us the first night and first morning was really rude and unhelpful. I'm not sure if the restaurant was maybe under staffed but it took quite a long time for someone to even greet us at the door to seat us. When we were greeted we were told 'your table is in there' and the area was generally pointed too. She didn't seem in the least bit interested. She didn't explain anything even though we had never been there. We received a voucher for a bottle of wine and were told to ask one of the members of staff that will come to our table. We had too wait until someone came to clear plates just to flag them down but I feel this was more the fact the poor guy looked rushed off his feet as opposed to neglecting us.

Although I didn't eat anything the second evening, the person greeting us was very polite and friendly and (even though we'd been there the previous evening) explained where everything was and offered us a few places to sit.

I would like to finish on a positive. The housekeeping staff were lovely. They were really polite and friendly.

Other than the person seating us on the second night in the restaurant, how friendly the housekeeping staff were and the fact the bed was comfortable for my back I feel everything else was either 'liveable' or poor.

I was a swithering between 1 star and 2 stars but decided 1 was perhaps a bit unfair as most things were not a complete disgrace (but really not far from it).

I don't think I would stay again unless I needed something really cheap and there was an offer on. I absolutely WOULD NOT book meals to be included as there is so much near by that is cheap.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank wampyk
Reviewed 8 January 2014

We stayed from 23/12 to the 26/12/13. We have stayed on the same dates for the past 8 years. As always we have a lovely break. We would highly commend all the staff and particularly Michael McGurk who was really helpful and always accommodating with my daughter who is registered blind. Thanks once again from Claire Gallagher and Dorothy Shelton. P.S. we hope we get the same room next year.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 January 2014

The Adelphi is a lovely hotel. Room was large and comfortable. Table, chairs and tea/coffee making facilities. Staff friendly. The only fault I found was not a very large choice of food at dinner.
Hotel is situated near the railway station and shopping centre and about 15/20 minuets walk to the water front. Enjoyable visit on the whole.
This was an offer break, not an every day booking price.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo

Positives
Stayed in a twin on New Year's Day after the match.
Great location for shopping, restaurants, City Centre etc.
Excellent service at the front desk.
Very clean and spacious rooms.
Very comfortable bed.

Negatives
The lifts can be busy and are a little slow.
The landings could do with a refurb.
The literature in the room was torn and shoddy

Overall
Fully recommend and will stay again.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 January 2014

My Fiancé and I stayed at the Adelphi for one night and were very impressed by the exterior of the Hotel. It was ideally situated for local shops and bars and within walking distance of Liverpool One. The staff are friendly and were helpful even though they were really busy in the Restaurant during meal times. The food was very good and had a varied choice for breakfast. The Hotel was extremely busy with coach parties and this made it quite noisy in the communal areas and meant that there were queues for the lifts. The only issue we found disappointing was that the bedrooms were very outdated and in particular our room looked out onto a brick wall where the venting system was displayed. The wallpaper was peeling off and the bathroom was shabby and needed updating. Other than this, we did enjoy our stay. Diana

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple