“Queue here....”

Ranked #74 of 97 Hotels in Liverpool
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Queue here....”
Reviewed 21 January 2014

It's frustrating when a 'Special Offer' turns out to be not so special. This was the case with our Buddy Holly special and 2 for 1 drinks at the Adelphi. Buddy would have turned in his grave as it was more Buddy WALLY with an awful sound system. I felt like Oliver queueing for my porridge at the 2 for 1 bar. Although there was 2 bars there was easily 40 customers deep taking at least 20 plus minutes to get served. Whats the point of a drinks offer when you cant avail of it - put some staff behind the bar to serve customers in a timely fashion.
It was a similar case of mayhem when we booked in at reception. Again long queues and staff who didn't have a clue.
There is a lot of steps which can be a problem to some people and it is so busy the staff do not have the time or inclination to offer help or talk to customers.
The good points - the hotel is well placed for all amenities. It is spacious and clean. The food was good and overall it is very good value for money.
I would go again but next time I would use the nearby hostelries for entertainment.

2 Thank Geronimo92
adelphimanager1, Guest Relations Manager at Adelphi Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 22 January 2014
Thank you for your comments following your stay with us as part of National Holidays weekend. I am sorry you had to queue for drinks and at reception, we did rota sufficient staff, so I do not understand the delay with either. We are an extremely busy hotel, but do not agree that the staff are not inclined to talk or help people, you only have to read other reviews on this page to see that. Britannia Hotels do offer great value for money and many people take advantage of these wonderful offers and have a good time here.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,544)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Beverley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 January 2014

We travelled with National Holidays for a 5 day trip and had a great time, yes its old fashioned but this adds to the character of your stay, rooms were clean, bed very comfy, and clean towels every day, tea and coffee facilities also, what more do people want? We ate in `Jennys Restaurant` where breakfast and tea were buffet style. couldn't fault any meal, always hot and forever getting topped up. Tea was a choice of 4 meals, but you could have all 4 and as much as you wanted, and very tasty too. Hats off to the chefs, thank-you. Staff always friendly and always asking if you wanted a top up on the tea or coffee.
Can I just say thanks to National Holidays for the trip and thanks to our driver Steve.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank yorkshirelass69_11
Well thank you VERY much for telling it as it is. Many people who write reviews exagerate so much it is quite upsetting for all the staff to read, so I have to say a HUGE thank you from us all, we really do appreciate it.
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 January 2014

Before I got out of the taxi, I knew I had made the wrong choice!! The clientele hanging around outside, left me slightly fearful, to say the least. Check in was pretty straight forward, lobby area was cold and uninviting. Whilst I accept it is an old hotel, I really didn't think it would be as run down as it was.
When I entered my room, on the 6th floor, it was twin, I had booked a double, specified it on my booking, with booking.com. When I called reception about it, they said they had no other rooms available, and offered to have it made up to a double. Well, the surprise came as I watched the guy put what looked like 2 double quilts over the 2 mattresses, and continued to make it up as a double. I may sound fussy, but honestly, was just wanting a comfortable bed in a clean room for 1 night. I said nothing, went out for the night, and when my partner and I got into bed later that night, we couldn't even lie next to each other, as my bed was a good 3 to 4 inches lower than his!
It did make us laugh, but it's just not acceptable to expect people to pay for such low standard basic facilities.
Other down side, it was beside lifts and very noisy, all night.

Only positive, despite being desperately in need of a complete revamp, the room was clean.

1 Thank KC_BP2
adelphimanager1, Guest Relations Manager at Adelphi Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 21 January 2014
Hello and thank you for your comments after staying with us recently. I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us and apologise you were given a twin room instead of the double room you had requested. Unfortunately, with bookings.com you can only request a room type and it is up to the hotel to allocate whichever they have available. I am pleased however, that your room was clean and I have passed this onto our houskeeper. Many thanks

Travellers are raving about these Liverpool hotels

Huddersfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 January 2014

My 3 friends and I have just spent a very enjoyable overnight stop at the The Adelphi Hotel with National Holidays.
National Holidays driver Barry was very helpful. Picking up and dropping was done quickly, pleasantly and efficiently. (Not always the case).
We had no problems with the hotel at all. Our rooms 180 and 181 were big, roomy, clean and quiet. Perhaps a little too warm but that was sorted out.
The evening meal was served to us quickly by pleasant staff. Luckily the lack of choice of food did not affect us. (Lovely hot plates).
Perhaps the only let down was the Buddy Holly Tribute as it was far too noisy with too many flashing lights. We had seen the Buddy Holly Tribute at Scarborough which was vey good.
There were long queues for the 2 for 1 drinks .
The hotel is conveniently placed to get around Liverpool. .
We also had no problems getting a lovely breakfast.
It was a bargain for £39.00

Room Tip: Room 180 big and lovely.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Hello and thank you for your comments after staying with us recently. I am pleased you enjoyed yours stay as part of National Holidays and found your rooms clean and quiet and the food acceptable. The 2 for 1 drink bars are very popular and hope the queus didnt spoil what was by all accounts a very enjoyable stay. Many thanks
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 January 2014

This was our second time staying in this hotel which is nearly 100 years old and was built to be the height of luxury.
The room we had was massive with a bathroom that was almost as big as some hotel rooms. The whole hotel is built to be luxury and it is a great place to stay in the centre of Liverpool.
I'd have given it a higher score if the restaurants had a decent range of vegetarian and vegan food but they have very little but there are lots of nearby restaurants.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Many thanks for your lovely review, it is much appreciated. We celebrate our centenary birthday in March and are all very excited at the events we have arranged as part of our celebrations. I shall pass on your comments regarding vegetarian and vegan foods to our head chef.
glasgow
Reviewed 20 January 2014

Just returned from a four night mid week break to the Adelphi with caladonia tours. Was a bit apprehensive about the hotel after reading some of the reviews but found the hotel to be set in an ideal location only minutes from the city centre and dock areas. Okay the hotel is 100 years old this year and is showing its age but it all adds to the character of the building. The room was massive and clean, maid service every day, clean towels, tea/coffee as needed. Found the buffet meals to be of good quality, hot and plentiful. Staff are friendly and helpful when approached. Would I recommend it, YES but don't go expecting 4* luxury, you get what it says on the label. A final big thanks to Laurie at reception for the upgrade to double Jacuzzi room.

Room Tip: Go for the double Jacuzzi rooms.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Hello and many thanks for your review after staying with us in November. I cannot agree enough that people should come and judge us for ourselves and not believe everything they hear and read. I shall pass on all your lovely comments to the departments concerned. Many thanks
Manchester
Reviewed 20 January 2014

we have been doing the twixmas break at the Adelphi hotel for 4 years now. this time the cost risen by £25 per person. we thought never mind. still a bargain. the food was totally disgusting. there should have been a reduction for the muck they served this time. we booked 7 rooms in total. the seating is shabby in some of the lounge area. the 99p per pint was awful as was the vinegar so called wine. we wont be going here again. that is for sure. rooms were nice though. lifts constantly breaking down. doesn't help when your 5 floors up and disabled.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for your comments following your stay with us recently. I am sorry you were not happy here and can only apologise. I disagree that the food served is disgusting and would not describe it as 'muck' either. The seating in the lounge area is all new this year, so I do not understand how you can call it shabby. I am sorry you wont be coming again after 4 years and hope you enjoy werever you choose to stay.