Adelphi Hotel & Spa
Novotel
US$188
Hotels.com
  • Room Service
Jurys Inn Liverpool(Liverpool)(Great Value!)
US$124
US$236
US$202
CrownePlaza.com
  • Pool
The Nadler Liverpool(Liverpool)(Great Value!)
US$150
Agoda.com
US$178
US$163
6,370 results
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 12 February 2014

The lounge is beautifull, like the salon in the Titianic. The Hotel is nearby the Lime Station and located near by the centre of Liverpool on a square. Inside the Hotel is the reception very nice to see, the staff is helpfull.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Margriet G
Reviewed 12 February 2014

I recently had to spend the weekend in Liverpool, a city I know pretty well having stayed there on a number of occasions. This time I stayed in the Britannia Adelphi, a hotel built a century ago when Liverpool was enjoying its heyday as the gateway to the world. As such it was the preserve of the rich. Nowadays it is the haunt of travellers who want a hint of old world luxury at budget prices, plus the convenience of being at the very heart of the city. In fact, the hotel is only a few minutes walk from the main Lime St station.

A friend and I got a very good online deal for a twin room that was half the usual price (£40) and, of course, we were pleased to be staying in a lovely Grade ll listed building that doubles as a city landmark. The lobby is equally sumptuous looking, with lots of polished wood and marble, enough to convince you that whatever else awaits you, you've made the right choice.

Once we entered the hotel proper, though, it was a case of faded grandeur rather than grand with the hall carpet looking a bit worse for wear, and a too small lift. But the room itself, though basic, was clean and comfortable, and tastefully done up in pastel colours to bring out all the original features. Not so sure about the TV and bathroom that seemed to come straight out of the 1980s, though.

Breakfast was extra – but at an £11.50 price tag we gave it a miss. That was a pity as it would have been nice to have the opportunity to soak up the hotel's turn of century ambiance over a leisurely toast and coffee. I certainly wouldn't have minded paying extra for the room for this, but I suppose you can't have everything.

Fortunately, the Adelphi's location means everything is nearby and we had a substantial breakfast for just under £6 each at the Soul Food cafe in Bold St, an attractive thoroughfare of independent shops on the edge of the flashy L1 shopping centre that is threatening to suck the life out of what remains of old Liverpool.

The Adelphi is on L1's doorstep, as is the tourist haven of Albert Dock and Liverpool Pier with its museums, Tate Gallery and iconic buildings. The World Museum is also a walk away, as are the city's two main cathedrals in the other direction. Location, location location – mutton dressed up as lamb perhaps, but for this reason alone the Adelphi will always win hands down against its many of its slicker rivals.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank araba c
Reviewed 12 February 2014

Stayed here for one night on a KGB deal. On arriving at reception, there were 3 staff on duty. One was dealing with a customer but the other 2 completely ignored me! After a couple of minutes the other guest left and we were dealt with by a pleasant young lady. Don't mind if people are busy but please just say 'I can't help you at the moment, please wait'. Check in was at 2pm but we arrived at 12.15, not a problem, we were allowed to go to our room early. The receptionist said that I hadn't paid even though I knew I'd paid KGB 2 months earlier. I gave my card details and made a note to check my credit card statement later. The room was adequate, certainly not luxurious, but the hotel is over 100 years old and is need of a little TLC. The walls needed repainting and the furniture was old and either needed replacing or 'touching up', the bathroom was stuck in the 70s but everywhere was clean, the bed really comfy and the shower hot and powerful. My husband remarked that the tv was probably powered by gas though!
After unpacking, we left for the Magical Mystery tour which we'd booked at 2pm (well worth doing) but on returning to the hotel I checked my credit card statement to find that I had indeed paid before arrival. I went straight down to reception armed with said statement and ready for a row but the lovely lady I spoke to (not the one I checked in with) said that the previous receptionist had realised her mistake and had tried ringing me but I had gone out. My card was reimbursed immediately with lots of apologies, brilliant customer service!
Our KGB deal consisted of a 3 course carvery dinner in Jenny's restaurant and included a bottle of wine. We honestly were not expecting much of the dinner for the price we paid but were pleasantly surprised. There was a choice of 2 starters, soup or pate, then 5 main courses all with sides (veg, 2 lots of potatoes, rice etc) and 5 desserts, all of the meal was very good. We then decided to sit in the bar to finish our wine but couldn't go in the American bar as it didn't open until 11pm. One of the waiters suggested we go to the Wave bar instead which we did and found it very pleasant and cheap (£4.60 for 2 glasses of wine). My husband had left his glasses in the dining room and the waiter sought us out to return them.
Breakfast the next morning was also very good with piping hot food and the staff replacing it as soon as supplies had gone.
The main rooms of the Adelphi are stunning, we felt like we were in a 1930s art deco Hollywood movie! The reception area, lounge, restaurant and staircases are superb, it was great just to sit in the lounge and take in the surroundings.
The hotel is rumoured to be haunted, don't know whether this is true but I was woken at 4.30am by a distant knocking which went on for quite some time, an old building so probably lots of creaks but I'll keep an open mind...
Just a tip - if you're given a room on the 5th floor, the lift button doesn't work - go down to the 4th floor and you can get to reception from there. Or walk down the stairs, that is an experience in itself!
Fantastic hotel, friendly helpful staff, if you don't mind faded grandeur then this is the place for you.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank paula121065
Reviewed 11 February 2014

Stayed at the Adelphi for 3 nights and could not get out of the place fast enough. Only convenience is that it is close to Lime Street Station and the city centre. Very disappointing to come home and tell my Liverpudlian father that we did not have a good stay here (he said it was quite fancy back in the day). Our room had a distinct odour and view out of our window was deplorable. I expected a lot more for the price. Staff were very unwelcoming.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 February 2014

We spent a weekend here at a reunion, with regards to catering for the event itself, lovely and thank you. Unfortunately fur coat and no knickers describes the hotel itself, stunning banqueting hall and main lounge with beautiful decor but get behind the scenes to the rooms. What a disappointment! First room we were allocated was a twin with single beds. We had booked a double. Husband went to change but was told by duty manager no rooms come back tomorrow. I went not knowing he had been told this and was given a double room. Decor in first room could only be described as cell like and right be the lifts, thankfully second room slightly better and away from lift shaft. Friends said their rooms were like having the underground in with them!!
Housekeeping well what can I say... Beds tidied but still had imprint of heads on pillows. Tea and coffee not filled next morning, glasses and cups not washed or replaced, toiletries not refilled, towels not changed despite obvious use, our shower curtain did not reach bath so water all over floor!
Best thing ever silverfish in bathroom in morning!!!
Well done to the blonde lady serving tea and coffee in the main lounge. She was a credit to the hotel and put up with aged veterans with good humour and professional service.

Room Tip: Pick another hotel
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends