“Chuck Norris would be scared to stay a second time”

Adelphi Hotel & Spa
Ranked #73 of 97 Hotels in Liverpool
widnes
“Chuck Norris would be scared to stay a second time”
Reviewed 15 February 2014

I have never have a bad review before but this hotel was really bad my missus got stuck in the.bathroom and the handy man didn't come for 30 , the staff were horrible and didn't want to geo at all the food was cold and dry, the rooms are outdated, just book the premier inn much better

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank townietom

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,531)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 February 2014

Stayed for a two day break through National Holidays who guaranteed a 1330 check in but we had to wait till 1500 but it did allow us to have high tea in the main lounge and to admire the beautifull architecture inside which is worthwhile studying. Our room was basic (and a long way from the lifts and stairs) but contained everything we needed but a quick coat of paint would have been appreciated. Buffet breakfast was well presented with a good choice of items and the evening meal was good basic fayre and all well cooked. Specific times were given to us for our meals which seemed strange at first but we got used to it.. The building is large and really needed more internal directional signs and the lifts don't go to the floors we required sometimes and needless to say we got lost a few times Staff were pleasant and helpful but the hotel is so big be prepared for a lot of walking. It's big credit is that it's in the center of Liverpool which probably accounts for it's popularity.

Room Tip: Make sure you are near the stairs or lifts
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Middxkid
Warrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 February 2014

Had a lovely 5 days at the Adelphi-one of Britannias best. Lovely large room-spotless. Beautiful bathroom also spotless. The food was very good. Lots of choice & well cooked. Staff were all very pleasant from checking to checking out. 3 lovely days sightseeing-Tuesday in Chester, Wednesday in southport & Thursday in Birkenhead. Hotel situation is perfect. Right beside lime st train station & the bus station. Put our cases in luggage room Friday morning & spent the day in city centre. Excellent value for money. We stay in lots of Britannia hotels-all good value. The Adelphi is a beautiful building steeped in history. Ten out of ten Britannia-we will soon be back.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank margaret g
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 February 2014 via mobile

Such a shame. The building itself is a beautiful building, I like old buildings. However it shouldnt be allowed to be a functional building let alone hotel. The reception staff's attitude was little to be desired. We were on the fifth floor, The left hand lift doesnt go to the fifth floor apparently, the first room we got allocated stunk of smoke, walked in and walked straight back out. Went to reception, the response was "no one has ever smoked in that room, its a no smoking floor", I am not stupid, I know for a fact when i room stinks of smoke, Iv worked with in the hospitality industry the last 5 years, Anyway we got allocated another room which we couldnt smell any smoke, Bonus i thought. The room was OK, No where near worth 80 pounds, on average should be sold at 35prpn at a push. The lifts are a joke, we waited 25 minutes for the lift on the morning which resulted in us taking the stairs down to the 3rd floor where we waited an extra 5 minutes. We would of just took the stairs but there was looooaaads of flights. Overall experience was shocking and the question is would i chance a britannia again? NO!

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank JRH45

Travellers are raving about these Liverpool hotels

Gasselternijveen, The Netherlands
Reviewed 12 February 2014

The lounge is beautifull, like the salon in the Titianic. The Hotel is nearby the Lime Station and located near by the centre of Liverpool on a square. Inside the Hotel is the reception very nice to see, the staff is helpfull.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Margriet G
london
Reviewed 12 February 2014

I recently had to spend the weekend in Liverpool, a city I know pretty well having stayed there on a number of occasions. This time I stayed in the Britannia Adelphi, a hotel built a century ago when Liverpool was enjoying its heyday as the gateway to the world. As such it was the preserve of the rich. Nowadays it is the haunt of travellers who want a hint of old world luxury at budget prices, plus the convenience of being at the very heart of the city. In fact, the hotel is only a few minutes walk from the main Lime St station.

A friend and I got a very good online deal for a twin room that was half the usual price (£40) and, of course, we were pleased to be staying in a lovely Grade ll listed building that doubles as a city landmark. The lobby is equally sumptuous looking, with lots of polished wood and marble, enough to convince you that whatever else awaits you, you've made the right choice.

Once we entered the hotel proper, though, it was a case of faded grandeur rather than grand with the hall carpet looking a bit worse for wear, and a too small lift. But the room itself, though basic, was clean and comfortable, and tastefully done up in pastel colours to bring out all the original features. Not so sure about the TV and bathroom that seemed to come straight out of the 1980s, though.

Breakfast was extra – but at an £11.50 price tag we gave it a miss. That was a pity as it would have been nice to have the opportunity to soak up the hotel's turn of century ambiance over a leisurely toast and coffee. I certainly wouldn't have minded paying extra for the room for this, but I suppose you can't have everything.

Fortunately, the Adelphi's location means everything is nearby and we had a substantial breakfast for just under £6 each at the Soul Food cafe in Bold St, an attractive thoroughfare of independent shops on the edge of the flashy L1 shopping centre that is threatening to suck the life out of what remains of old Liverpool.

The Adelphi is on L1's doorstep, as is the tourist haven of Albert Dock and Liverpool Pier with its museums, Tate Gallery and iconic buildings. The World Museum is also a walk away, as are the city's two main cathedrals in the other direction. Location, location location – mutton dressed up as lamb perhaps, but for this reason alone the Adelphi will always win hands down against its many of its slicker rivals.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank araba c
South Wales
Reviewed 12 February 2014

Stayed here for one night on a KGB deal. On arriving at reception, there were 3 staff on duty. One was dealing with a customer but the other 2 completely ignored me! After a couple of minutes the other guest left and we were dealt with by a pleasant young lady. Don't mind if people are busy but please just say 'I can't help you at the moment, please wait'. Check in was at 2pm but we arrived at 12.15, not a problem, we were allowed to go to our room early. The receptionist said that I hadn't paid even though I knew I'd paid KGB 2 months earlier. I gave my card details and made a note to check my credit card statement later. The room was adequate, certainly not luxurious, but the hotel is over 100 years old and is need of a little TLC. The walls needed repainting and the furniture was old and either needed replacing or 'touching up', the bathroom was stuck in the 70s but everywhere was clean, the bed really comfy and the shower hot and powerful. My husband remarked that the tv was probably powered by gas though!
After unpacking, we left for the Magical Mystery tour which we'd booked at 2pm (well worth doing) but on returning to the hotel I checked my credit card statement to find that I had indeed paid before arrival. I went straight down to reception armed with said statement and ready for a row but the lovely lady I spoke to (not the one I checked in with) said that the previous receptionist had realised her mistake and had tried ringing me but I had gone out. My card was reimbursed immediately with lots of apologies, brilliant customer service!
Our KGB deal consisted of a 3 course carvery dinner in Jenny's restaurant and included a bottle of wine. We honestly were not expecting much of the dinner for the price we paid but were pleasantly surprised. There was a choice of 2 starters, soup or pate, then 5 main courses all with sides (veg, 2 lots of potatoes, rice etc) and 5 desserts, all of the meal was very good. We then decided to sit in the bar to finish our wine but couldn't go in the American bar as it didn't open until 11pm. One of the waiters suggested we go to the Wave bar instead which we did and found it very pleasant and cheap (£4.60 for 2 glasses of wine). My husband had left his glasses in the dining room and the waiter sought us out to return them.
Breakfast the next morning was also very good with piping hot food and the staff replacing it as soon as supplies had gone.
The main rooms of the Adelphi are stunning, we felt like we were in a 1930s art deco Hollywood movie! The reception area, lounge, restaurant and staircases are superb, it was great just to sit in the lounge and take in the surroundings.
The hotel is rumoured to be haunted, don't know whether this is true but I was woken at 4.30am by a distant knocking which went on for quite some time, an old building so probably lots of creaks but I'll keep an open mind...
Just a tip - if you're given a room on the 5th floor, the lift button doesn't work - go down to the 4th floor and you can get to reception from there. Or walk down the stairs, that is an experience in itself!
Fantastic hotel, friendly helpful staff, if you don't mind faded grandeur then this is the place for you.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple