“Liverpools beautiful fading star”

Adelphi Hotel & Spa
Ranked #74 of 99 Hotels in Liverpool
Norfolk UK
“Liverpools beautiful fading star”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2014

Have just returned from a 5 night coach break staying at the Adelphi, we were quite apprehensive after reading the reviews on here so we were prepared for the worst. Happily as soon as we arrived we were given our keys and welcomed, maybe we were lucky but we had a lovely large room, clean and comfortable beds, so were delighted. OK, it is a bit tired and needs some loving care but it is a beautiful hotel and you can imagine it in it's hey day. Look beyond the decorating and see the wonderful old features and magnificent banqueting rooms. We found all staff very pleasant, we ate in the Compton room and staff did well although a bit disorganised at times, the meals were adequate, basic no frills but we didn't go hungry. It wasn't 4 star but we didn't pay 4 star prices. One good point happy hour in in 1 bar with very reasonable prices. All in all we had a fab time, fell in love with a great city, which the hotel is perfectly placed you can walk everywhere from. Will we go back ? yes yes yes. Just hope that the owner of this hotel will plough some money back and restore this hotel back to the star it was. Trouble is I probably wouldn't be able to afford it then.

3 Thank katenorfolk
adelphimanager1, Guest Relations Manager at Adelphi Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 17 March 2014
Hello and thankyou for your comments after staying with us earlier this month. I am pleased you enjoyed your break with us and would return. You are quite correct, we are not 4*, but we are a good 3* and have some amazing offers available at good value for money prices.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,495)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Merseyside, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2014

Firstly the great points of the Adelphi Liverpool: This is a fantastic location ...... a few steps from Lime Street Station. Its a great building and the architecture is on a grand deco style with its chandeliers in the incredibly big lounge ..... seeing is believing. The rooms are large and the en-suite bathrooms are gi-normous for a city centre hotel ..... no micro boxes here. The deals can be very cheap for a hotel of this calibre and scale.

And now a few negatives: It has seen far betterdays and gone is I guess the personal touches of yesteryear. The rooms do need refurbishing and redecorating as they are now rather shabby (but still cosy) and the curtains and nets don't look as they have seen a washing machine in decades. The windows whilst adequate also need replacing as they do rattle in the winds and you can hear the wind howling through the old wooden panel walls (quite atmospheric I suppose|). Flaky paint on the big old radiators (but they do keep you warm) and leaky old bath taps when pushed on full power.

The Adelphi seems to make its money by hosting the multiple cheap coach tours that continuously arrive and depart with hoards of people coming and going.

That all said ..... it was enjoyable, comfy and we ate out (its cheaper) at the various local eateries (head for Bold Street) for all kinds of food.

This is a great experience staying here and despite the negatives .... I recommend this as it so close to all things in Liverpool .... shops, food, Cathedrals and museums and galleries.

Room Tip: All rooms are good and if you book a cheap online LEXX room .... I think they are just as good as th...
1 Thank Jake-from-Liverpool
Thank you for your review after staying with us recently. You told it exactly as it was and we couldnt ask for more than that. All guests are important to us, so I do not hold with what you say about 'hosting mulitiple cheap coach tours', we do a lot of corporate and conference business mid week and everybodys booking is important to us.
birmingham
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2014

This hotel is part of Liverpool"s history, Unfortunately, the hotel rooms are still historic. The Placement of the hotel is excellent, Perfect for most of the venue's you would want to attend whilst you were in Liverpool. The breakfast is perfectly adequete, although the restaurant staff were struggling with the ammount of people. The eating venue's here are good, and service is good as well. It is a cheap hotel which means no frills, I was told I would be charged 5 pounds to use the leisure centre and pool..Even as a hotel guest.
Come here expecting a good location..Not a classy hotel..and you will be fine.

1 Thank pethea
Thankyou for your comments after staying with us. I couldnt agree more about our location, we are ideally situated for guests travelling to Liverpool, restaurants, clubs, theatres, museums and of course shopping. Breakfast can be busy, as even though we do give out timings to large groups, everyone still comes down at peak dining times 8am - 9am. Once again many thanks.
Halifax, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2014

Just returned from a 5 day holiday with National Holidays. The hotel is in need of some repair and updating. But for the money we paid (£150) was well worth it. In the bedrooms the windows didn't open, and the handle was hanging off the wardrobe, and the hallway carpets were frayed. The meals were very nice, but we had to be at breakfast for 7.30am and dinner was 5pm, this was due to all the coach parties, so meal times were staggered. The entertainment was very good, with bingo, a quiz and excellent caaeret. The hotel is right in the middle of the city,near all the shops, cafe's. And Paddy's wigwam is just up the road, well worth a visit. I would go back to this hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
adelphimanager1, Guest Relations Manager at Adelphi Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 19 March 2014
Thankyou for your comments following your stay with us as part of National Holidays operator. I am delighted you enjoyed your break with us and also that you would return, that is a great compliment, many thanks
Milngavie, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2014

Happened to visit this marvellous old hotel in the week that it was celebrating its hundredth anniversary. It has clearly seen better days but still retains a certain glamour from a byegone age, but more to the point, it provides a very handy locale with excellent and plentiful food at a reasonable outlay for this day and age. There are of course some deficieincies but if only there for a few nights it's not worth bothering too much about. Staff were all very efficient and friendly as only Liverpool people can be ....... could do with some of them down south !
Plenty to do in Liverpool.

Room Tip: luck of the draw
1 Thank mickk916
Thank you so much for your lovely comments whilst visiting our lovely hotel during our centenary celebrations. I hope you were here when we had our lovely Donwton Abby style lunches and our Edwardian Day with local school children entertaining guests to songs, games (marbles, top and whip, hoola hoop,) and fun from days gone by. We are a friendly lot here and thats because we all love our jobs and our hotel.
Manchester
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2014

We stayed at this hotel for two days in March 2014, I booked the hotel through groupon and it cost me £109 for two nights bed and breakfast and evening meal on first night.

I will start with the good points of the hotel, and I'm sorry to say there was only a few the staff where really nice and helpful. And the location was good

Now to the bad / poor points, our first room was 606 avoid this room if you can, all you can hear is the lifts going up and down, all night long, I requested a move and was given a better room right away, however both rooms where dirty, from the carpets to the dust and rubbish under beds, the most disgusting thing I noticed with the black scale around the taps. Parking at the hotel was £12 per day and this was off site parking, no discount for customers at all. The food I have never in my life had such poor quality food, the vegetable soup just tasted of potato. There was a selection of main courses all self service, however this was also very poor quality, it was like feeding the 5000 definitely quantity not quality. the breakfast was no better, from cheap rubber sausages, sweet beans, and boiled mushrooms. the only thing for me that was edible was the scrambled egg and toast. Coffee tasted cheap and if you wanted tea you had to ask. Can say I will never be going back

3 Thank hotpots
Thankyou for your review following your stay with us. I am really sorry you were disappointed with your time here and that you would not return to us. We do get many regular guests staying with us over and over again and I am sorry you will not be amongst them.

Travellers are raving about these Liverpool hotels

Nottingham
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2014

I booked this hotel through an all in Skills Bus trip from Nottingham on the 11th day of January 2014. I write my review on the basis that I paid £75.00 which included- Bus Travel, One Nights Stay, Evening Meal, £1.00 Bar & Breakfast.

Check-in: This was done by Skills staff, so no comment to make.

Room: It was very dated with a paint peeling away from the roof. Some parts of the wardrobe were very dusty. There was a dated TV in the room, a sofa and tea and coffee making facilities. I can see why people write such negative things about the rooms on here, but we spent next to no time in our room, so it did the job for us as being cheap and cheerful.

The Main Bar: Dated and very plain with massive potential if a little imagination was given along with some investment. I'd class the staff as being just ok in this bar.

Evening Meal In The Function Room: Well set out with plenty of room, the tables were not too close to each other.

The starter was Soup to which I thought was lovely, but one of my friends felt different, because it was spicy. Very tight with the portion control though as the bowel was only a third full, a least half way would have been spot on!

The main course was Chicken with veg and roast spuds, to which I thought was very nice.

Sweet course was Profiteroles to which I thought were nice, but there were only three given in a dish, so the portion control again let the side down. Five would have been just right.

Waiting staff were ok, but were managed poorly and the whole of service was very rushed for some reason. A bar was set up outside the function room which saved you walking some distance to the main bar (Well Done).

Breakfast: Held in two of the function rooms, with the food service area in-between both rooms. There was only one food service station which was very busy, I had to queue for some five to ten minutes for food. This could be easy of been rectified with a service station either side of the function rooms. The breakfast was self service eat as much as you like with a good selection on offer. They had ran out of some food items and were slow at replenishing them. They had also ran out of knife's to which took some time to be replenished. I classed the breakfast as nice, well I've had worse before now.

Reception Check-out: The man behind reception offered no good morning or smile, got to be the basics of doing the job behind reception.

Other Points: The lifts wouldn’t move if it was overweight, even if it had below the stated weight and persons in it, we walked it most times it was quicker, because the lifts are very busy all the time due to the size of the hotel. The carpets leading up to the rooms are thread bare in places. Like other people have stated the hotel looks good from the outside and when you first walk in, but then things start to fall down. So I agree with some other posts that state the hotel needs some TLC to bring it back up to standard with some better management too, to which will give this hotel better write up's on Trip Advisor.

Would I stay here again? Yes if I was with friends looking for a cheap and cheerful as the hotel is right in the centre of town and is a cheep place to stay.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank NottinghamPanthers
adelphimanager1, Guest Relations Manager at Adelphi Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 13 March 2014
Hello and thank you for your somewhat mixed review. Overal I think you enjoyed your stay with one or two hiccups. However, I am delighted you would return to us and would receommend us.