“Gloriously Strange”

Adelphi Hotel & Spa
Ranked #75 of 99 Hotels in Liverpool
Reviewed 28 March 2014

Been to Liverpool many times but never stayed in this landmark hotel until last weekend. Was a bargain we know why now! It was interesting to say the least. Massive room which was spectacular in an outdated sort of way - needs a good update but was interesting. When I tried to put the security chain over the door it did not reach which prompted my husband back to a YouTube clip he had seen about the hotel. We watched it there and then on 3G because the advertised free wifi was never to be found. We realised it was our room (147)!! Come on Britannia hotels it been like that since 2011!!! That's poor. Breakfast was another strange experience alongside the most number of people I have shared breakfast with sardines comes to mind. Terrible breakfast sloppy service but generally I think because the staff were rushed off their feet with the coach holiday brigade.
All in all we got what we paid for - if I won the lottery it would be a fantastic project putting the glamour back in this beautiful building!
Bathroom was dirty loose tiles same as 2011!

Room Tip: Room 147 the security chain does not work
1  Thank Bmartin19
adelphimanager1, Guest Relations Manager at Adelphi Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2014

Thank you for your review after staying here earlier this month. We do have complimentary wifi throughout the hotel and I am sorry you were not able to locate it during your stay, it worked perefectly well for everyone else as we had no other complaints. We were not aware of the security chain in that bedroom, so thankyou very much for bringing it to our attention. We are an extremely popular hotel and at peak dining times, the restaurant can get quite busy.

Write a ReviewReviews (6,045)

Reviewed 28 March 2014

This hotel is very impressive when you first enter. In its day it must have been very plush. However the bedrooms are very tired and in need of a face lift. I would not like to see it modernised as it would lose its character but it does need a lick of paint. Food was plentiful and a good choice to choose from. Very central location and therefore good for sight seeing Liverpool. We stayed here Monday to Friday and enjoyed our time in the lovely city.

Room Tip: Suggest you see the room first before you unpack.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your somewhat mixed review. I think overal you did enjoy your stay it was just your bedroom you felt needed attention decor wise. I am pleased you enjoyed the food and thought there was a good selection, food does play a big part in a holiday doesnt it?

Reviewed 28 March 2014

I visited this hotel in Aug 13. To celebrate a friendship of 50yrs. We were treated very well by all staff. Rooms were a little dated but beautiful old world furniture & so clean..recommend anyone visit. Thanks to all staff for making our stay so wonderful..x

• Stayed: March 2014

Hello and thankyou for your lovel review, it is much appreciated.

Reviewed 28 March 2014

Stayed here as part of a promotional deal when down for football. Was cheap and rightfully so. Meals were terrible and hotel really needs updating! Only upsides was excellent location and friendly receptionist.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Goodness me, its taken you a long time to write your review, maybe it wasnt as bad as you wrote, as it took you so long. We have some excellent deals with Britannia Hotels and I am pleased you were able to stay here as part of one of these excellent offers.

Reviewed 27 March 2014

Stayed last weekend Friday and Saturday what a masive hotel. Yes it is a bit dated in the bedrooms but they we're clean, but the price was right. Evening meals were ok but did not like the breakfasts, the drinks were good and cheap and the bars were very busy so that says it all, and the staff were very good.
All in all we realy enjoyed our stay and we will come back :)
Liverpool is a fantastic place, a must visit is the Liverpool museum and maritime museum.

Room Tip: 1st floor if a non smoker
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
adelphimanager1, Guest Relations Manager at Adelphi Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2014

Hello and thank you for your comments after staying with us recently. I am pleased that you enjoyed most aspects of your stay but were disappointed with breakfast. I will make sure chef is made aware of this. Liverpool is an amazing city and 1 weekend is not enough to see everything. Many thanks.

Reviewed 26 March 2014

First visit to Liverpool, very impressed with the city. Hotel was lovely food good too. Ideal location to visit all the highlights of the city all within walking distance. Would highly recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a nice homely feel.

Room Tip: Rooms facing to the South tend to be slightly quieter as this hotel is so popular and busy all year...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo

Thankyou very much for your review, it is much appreciated that you have taken the time to write how much you enjoyed your stay with us. Many thanks.

Reviewed 26 March 2014

Upon entering this establishment the receptionist didn't even look at me whilst I was recieving my room key the tone of her voice wasn't friendly at all. There was no good morning or greeting of any kind! The film crewe that was there were more pleasent than the staff. Upon getting to my room it all looked very nice and spacious but the dado rail was covered in dust and also in the bathroom was a used shampoo bottle lid so was obvious that hadn't been cleaned which was there the next day after the room was cleaned the next day! So I removed it myself. The radiators were on full I threw the sheets off and was still hot! There was a thermostat in the room but that didn't change the heat wave one bit! I would of opened a window but they didn't open. We were able to stay in the room till 11 am on our departure day at 10 am room service was knocking on our door and said I will come back which is obvious I am still using the room. As we were leaving she shouted our room number and I said yes and that was the most I was spoken to all my stay! Also I didn't know until the last night the hotel had entertainment as it wasn't advertised anywhere. I thought you would at least have some information in the room or on a notice board!! I was gutted with my stay it could of been made so much better just by the staff being more friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: March 2014

Thank you for your comments following your stay with us. I am sorry you found the staff unfriendly during your stay as most comments on this page have complimented them. I will let housekeeping know of the lack of standard in your bathroom and do apologise for that. The entertainment is arranged by a coach operator who uses a private room for their own guests and is not available for other guests in the hotel, this is why it is not advertised anywhere. Many thanks for taking the time to write though.