“Glory now faded”

Adelphi Hotel & Spa
Ranked #74 of 98 Hotels in Liverpool
Reviewed 25 April 2014

Stayed a couple of times, rooms are basic and not very clean. Entrance and lobby are impressive, and very much in keeping with the theme of art deco.
Went into "Waves" bar for a drink after a show.. mistake
Not enough staff on
Tables were dirty and sticky, awful
Stayed for the location rather than anything else, will be looking elsewhere next time

Room Tip: No idea, complain?
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Sue L
adelphimanager1, Guest Relations Manager at Adelphi Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2014

Thankyou for your review after staying with us. I am sorry you found Wave Bar not as clean as you would like to expect and not enough staff on duty. I will make sure the bars manager is aware of your comments.

Reviewed 25 April 2014

This was the worst hotel experience I have ever had staying in a hotel. Firstly we were put in a smoking room, the stale musty smell in the room was horrible. Secondly, the paint was peeling off the bottom of the bathtub as well as the bathroom window not shutting properly. There was constant howling from the wind. Lastly, and worst of all, the front door to our room was sunk down off its hinges which left a gap of about 2 inches out onto the hallway. We could hear everything outside, it was a total lack of privacy. When i rang down reception they told me there was nothing they could do as the hotel was fully booked. They weren't very helpful or sympathetic, i would never go back.

4  Thank Amy-m-Farrell
Reviewed 24 April 2014

I've stayed here many times. Great value, very central to Liverpool centre. Love the oldie worldly charm of this old historic hotel! Asked if they would upgrade my room, (special occasion, a bit cheeky cos only paid £45 for a double!) and they did! Wouldn't stay anywhere else, luv it!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Jan S
Reviewed 24 April 2014

Stay in this hotel for one night and it's a horrible experienced ever.

Reception counter staff a guy who was not friendly at all. Due to he cannot find out our booking thru the system(we booked online) seems like not welcome to stay in here. Or maybe I am Asian? I cannot speak in fluent English? After I check out all my detail and I showed it to the other lady staff then I just able to check in. Her attitude is much better.
From website I realize that the hotel provide free wifi. They didn't even provide us once we check in. When I back to the counter to check it, the staff just pass me a piece of small paper with detail and didn't even say anything! It is really unfriendly ! We pay the money and deserve this kind of service? It is so hard to put on smiley face?

The room is so old, musty, without ac, bathroom is dirty! The tv remote control with lots of dirt!!

It is such a nightmare !

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank Irenechin
Reviewed 24 April 2014

From the flight of steps at the front, to the stairs leading down to the restaurant, plus the steps inside the restaurant, this is a nightmare location if you have mobility issues (I have extreme difficulty is negotiating steps/stairs). Wheelchair users have a ramp at the side entrance of the hotel with a wheelchair lift inside but this does not address the restaurant steps. The hotel is very dated and seems to be living off its previous reputation.
Parking, charged at £12 per day, was in a car park located in the street behind the hotel, with no access to the rear of the hotel entailing a walk around the block to gain access (people struggling with luggage and clothes hangers was a normal sight). The car park is not secure, the surface is not Tarmac and the loose gravel could easily be responsible for chips to the paintwork of cars - the hotel were aware that I had mobility issues as I had requested a disabled parking space when booking but failed to tell me that these were non-existent.
Our 'double' room, on the sixth floor which, when I queried why there was an ashtray, we were told was a smoking floor. We were initially given a room so small, photo attached, that there was insufficient room between the bed and wall to allow one person to get in and out easily. We requested another room only to be offered one in the bowels of the hotel, accessed by getting the lift to the first floor, walking the length of the corridor to go down two flights of stairs (no lift to this level) and another long walk to the room, and what a room. It was much bigger than the first but the window (if you could cal the porthole a window) was below street level and looked out at the silver air conditioning pipes. A third room was back on the sixth floor (seemed to be the only two floors available as we were told that there were no rooms on any other floor) but again this was at the end of a long corridor and was the same size as the first. On speaking to other guests who were changing their room, from the fourth floor, we were fortunate to at least have a window, something missing from their 'cupboard' (their words). We changed our room on the second day to a twin room that was much more spacious but the cleanliness left a lot to be desired (another photo attached showing the dirt around the floor in the bathroom) and the dressing table had sufficient dust on it to write your name in.
Any good points? The location is good for shopping, restaurants and bars and is close to Lime Street station, which is a short walk away. The breakfast was good, although the coffee was cold as it had been in the flask on the table since the restaurant opened at 7 am and the staff did not seem too happy being asked to replace the flask with one of hot coffee. The bedding and towels were clean and white, although the duvet cover on the second bed was ripped.
Would I stay here again? Only if they offered me a free stay with hospitality tickets to see Liverpool play Barcelona thrown in, and then only for the night of the match.

Room Tip: No idea if any of the rooms on lower floors (other than M floor) are any good but if you have to sta...
1  Thank Kay17Bron
Reviewed 23 April 2014

Spot on for location, shops, bars,theater and station. This was probably one of the finest in it's day with many fine features still on show. Sadly, it's showing it's age and although it was a comfortable stay it is in need of refurbishment. We stayed on a room only basis as we tend to find hotel breakfast's to be quite expensive. Wetherspoons and plenty of eating out places near by.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
adelphimanager1, Guest Relations Manager at Adelphi Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2014

Hello and thank you for your review, following your stay with us. I am sorry you were disappointed with your time here, however, you did have a 'comfortable stay' so I hope it wasnt too much of a disappointment.

Reviewed 23 April 2014

Beautiful hotel, although bedroom could do with a makeover as very dated & tired looking. What a shame our first night was spoilt with a very noisy stag do, that kept us awake ALL night with shouting and banging of doors as they ran across the corridor to other rooms, finished off at 6.30 am with them fighting & us having to call reception. Not the sort of hotel that should be accommodating stag parties, such a shame. Staff not the most pleasant & helpful, especially in the breakfast room, when we eventually got a table, it took 10 mins to get a cup of tea. The coffee was in a thermal flask, that was not changed from the first sitting at 7am, when my husband asked for a fresh one as it was cold, as it was now about 930, he got a comment about it being ok and when the new flask arrived it was slammed on the table. It all seemed to much trouble.

Room Tip: No air conditioning in room on level 5, not pleasant at night as with window open slightly for air...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Thankyou for your comments after staying with us recently. Unfortunately, with bookings now being available to make on line, it is very difficult to monitor who our guests are at the booking stage. Having said that, we do accept both stag and hen parties, but they do receive a conditions of stay and pay us a bond and we find this does deter problems such as you encountered. I apologise if you found the staff in the restaurant at breakfast unfriendly, I will make sure the restaurant supervisor is made aware of your comments.