“Adelphi hotel liverpool uk”

Adelphi Hotel & Spa
Ranked #74 of 98 Hotels in Liverpool
Reviewed 7 May 2014

Are stay was ok. The Adelphi Hotel was a nice hotel need a good overall. I expect it was lovely in its day. Food not that good. People in hotel very helpful. Housekeeping needs a shake up rooms very dusted and walls weren't that clean. Could be a lot better. Location easy to get to Liverpool because your right there. The rooms on the second floor very big. Rooms on the 6th not so good

Room Tip: Rooms on the second floor are big in the front, but a bit noise, Friend there rooms at the back were...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
adelphimanager1, Guest Relations Manager at Adelphi Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2014

Thankyou for your comments following your stay with us recently. I am sorry that there were aspects of your stay that you did not like, but overaly I think you did enjoy your stay and would hopefully stay with us again.

There are newer reviews for Adelphi Hotel & Spa

Reviewed 7 May 2014

Stopped here for bank holiday with a coach trip. Room was nice, surprised at how big it was and it was well equipped: tv, tea/coffee, hairdryer, etc.

Disappointed as a non smoker that we were allocated a smoking room without specifying this - the smell clung to my clothes and I had to wash stuff I hadn't even worn. If you are a non smoker and dislike the smell of smoke make sure you specify. I didn't complain about this but I am sure if I had I would have been relocated.

Dinner was ok, it was a choice of salmon, beef or lamb I think? With roast and boiled potatoes. I went for the salmon which was boneless and tasty. The veg were ok but I wasn't very hungry so didn't eat much.

Breakfast was good - great choice of full English or continental. Couldn't find any tea though and I wasn't fond of the coffee.

Sadly, we were told breakfast was served AT 7 not from 7. We saw people going in for breakfast just before 9. We woke up early for nothing! The same happened at dinner. We arrived at 5pm and were told we had to go to dinner right away. We couldn't see why we weren't able to freshen up first.

Location is fab. Right in the centre.

Hotel is massive and I had a little explore to try and find the swimming pool, which we eventually found but couldn't see as you had to pay to get in.

We found subway and pizza box litter in the hallways, a pair of jogging pants(!!) and some empty beer cans which were there all night and all morning. I thought that was a shame as the hotel is beautiful.

Overall, for the price, this place was great. I had a great sleep and a good breakfast. I would stay again on another coach trip but perhaps not for a couples retreat.

• Stayed: May 2014

Hello and thank you for your comments following your recent stay with us. It is always advisable to book a non smoking room, we do have a floor of smoking rooms and it seems you were allocated one. You are right, we certainly would have allocated you a different room if you had let reception know. We always have a good selection on our buffets and I dont think you can go far wrong by offering salmon, beef and lamb with a choice of potatoes and vegetables. It is a pity you werent very hungry. Tea with breakfast is served by the waitress, as we do not leave it to 'brew' in the tea pots as this can spoil the flavour. Meal times are agreed beforehand with the coach company and they request the times from us, so this should be taken up with them. Housekeeping are an extremely busy department as you can imagine and I am sorry they did not get to clear guests litter as quickly as they should have done. I do hope they were removed by the time you left. I am delighted you would return to us, as that is the greatest compliment a hotel can receive.

Reviewed 6 May 2014

OK, so this is not 5-star. But then at £99 DBB for 2 nights in a UK city that would be unlikely. However, despite the very harsh reviews and worrying about staying there we had a pretty enjoyable two nights.
On the plus side - Very friendly and helpful staff; dinner and breakfast pretty good; excellent leisure facilities; amazing public areas. On the down side - Rooms could be tarted up; some of the other guests.
The main issue is that the hotel has focused on the cheap end of the market - coach tours, football fans etc that will pay c.£50/night for a city centre hotel. The result is that the hotel is pretty full but the atmosphere is more like a hostel. This is such a shame when the hotel is wonderfully grand and the owners have clearly spent money doing it up. If the owners took the decision to go upmarket then I am certain that the atmosphere would change and there would be enough income to return the hotel to its former glory.
Despite all this we actually had a good stay. The hotel is big enough to be able to avoid the football fans etc and as it is right in the centre of town it is very easy to get out and explore. We would stay again but would encourage the owners to rethink their focus on the lower end of the market - continuing that strategy will ultimately lead to the closure of this iconic hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank HugoMidd

Thankyou for your comments following your recent stay with us . You did get an excellent deal, but this is what Britannia Hotels are famous for, great value for money. I am delighted the staff were attentive and friendly, we do get guests comments that they do not find us so, so I am so pleased you found different. I think your comments on cheap end of the market being coach tours and football fans is a bit misjudged as both these markets pay a great price without us overpriceing ourselves. We are, what we are and offer good value for money. Our football guests pay us an enormous amount of money to stay here, a lot more than you did, and they return to us match after match. I am pleased that overal you had a good stay and would return. I dont think our straregy will close the hotel, we have been here for over 100 years now and we arent going anywhere.

Reviewed 6 May 2014

In its day nearly 100 years ago, this would have been magnificent. Today however, it's starting to look a bit drab. Long queues at check-in desk on arrival. They forgot to mention the wi-fi code on checking in, so had to queue again later on. Room was big, bed comfy and all the usual tea/coffee making facilities. The furniture fell apart when opening drawers for putting smalls in. Shower was over the bath, but all toiletries were present in abundance every day.
Breakfast was self service every morning and it was adequate. Plenty of choices. Evening meals were different every night and again it was self service with plenty of choices.
Car park was at the rear of the hotel and at £12 for 3 days was reasonable for city centre parking.

Room Tip: Room 409 was an inner room facing a central enclosed lounge area leading to the ballroom.No scenery...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Our daughter was in Liverpool at university so we decided to treat ourselves, we looked up good hotels in Liverpool and saw the Adelphi , the photos on website looked great so we thought let's book, it wasn't cheap!!! Checked in we were on the 4th floor, opened the door and disappointment followed.... Underpants and socks ( from previous occupant) were on the bathroom floor, bed pushed against the wall the room was so small and the wallpaper was peeling off the wall at the window- I wish I knew how to add these from my camera!!!! Complained to reception it was checking out day before they responded so was a pointless exercise. Breakfast was a disaster- I asked for warm coffee and the girl literally threw the cup onto the table, 4 ladies at the next table laughed and said " be warned they don't like complaints" , waited for a plate to get cooked breakfast for ages. These issues were all put to manager at check out and they couldn't really understand our disappointment , the photos are NOT what you get so don't be fooled... Just don't book it.

Room Tip: Ask for the room that appears on their advert via websites for weekend breaks, unfortunately when we...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Caroline F
Reviewed 4 May 2014

My husband and I stayed for two nights in April. We had read the reviews in advance but in all honesty, we never let ourselves be put off or influenced by other peoples experiences and try to go with an open mind and we are so glad that we did!

We arrived very early to be greeted by a friendly receptionist. Our room, despite our early arrival, was ready and made available to us immediately. The room was fantastic, huge, wood panelled and with many of the original features still in situ. The bathroom had a few water marks on the ceiling but I was too busy enjoying the deep jaccuzi bath to pay that too much attention. Yes, the hotel is faded in places - wouldn't we be at that grand old age. I am simply staggered by some people's expectations; they should factor in the very reasonable room tariff and the fantastic buffet breakfast (with very friendly staff on hand I might add) before they write such poor reviews. We had no criticism whatsoever of our room regarding cleanliness, in fact it was spotless. If your idea of a hotel room is an uncharismatic, faceless, one-size fits all box, then the Adelphi Hotel is not for you, but I'm certain that there are lots of bland hotels out there for you to choose from.

We found the Adelphi Hotel to be centrally located (adjacent to Lime Street Station), the architecture and history of this grand old building are second to none and the impressive public areas are worth a visit if nothing else!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JooBee1
Reviewed 3 May 2014

Were given room 122 and on entering there was a very strong chemical smell which we thought was because the room had just been cleaned. This smell did not disappear and was so strong we could smell it on our clothes when we were out at night. The next day we told reception of the problem and were given another room which smelt a lot better. No apology was given and nobody mentioned that they would look into it.

The hotel is a very old dated one and not very clean. The windows and curtains in both rooms were old and dirty. Ditto the bathroom with lots of mould.

Breakfast was very good I must say and the bar prices were very reasonable.

Would I stay here again, NO.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple