“A cold visit to the North”

Adelphi Hotel & Spa
Ranked #74 of 98 Hotels in Liverpool
Reviewed 16 May 2014

In Liverpool the summer begins on May 1, according to the Manager of this hotel. Usually at this time of year if the heat is off and the room temperature is too low, I request supplementary heating.. This is the only place where I have been refused and my stay in a reasonable 3 star Hotel 'Executive Suite' (upgrade paid for by the way) was uncomfortable..
The Banqueting staff were lovely and the food was good. We would never stay here again and would not recommend the hotel. I suspect it only really caters for the Conference and Coach trade.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
adelphimanager1, Guest Relations Manager at Adelphi Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2014

Hello and thank you for your comments after staying with us recently. I am sorry found the room temperature to low for your liking, unfortunately the heating is on a timer but there should have been a heater available to offer you. I am sorry this doesnt appear to have happend. I am sorry this experience would deter you from using us again as we ideally situated in the heart of the city.

Reviewed 15 May 2014

We stayed here because we enjoy the sense of being in a building with grandeur and presence, however that is far from what we actually experienced!! Firstly, we checked in and the ladies at the desk looked like they had no care for service and were more interested in their own lives than greeting us. Once checked in we attempted to enter the lifts but they were very slow to arrive, not to mention the cattle of coach parties bombarding their way into the lifts at the same time! The room itself was very dated and smelt unclean, dusty and in need of some updating. There was stains in the carpet and white chipped paint on the dashboards/wardrobe area. There was a dusty old yellow pages from 2006/7 in the bedside table!! why? The dressing table draw fell apart as we opened it and the bathroom fixtures were snapped off and not fixed from previous occupants. We asked for our draw to be fixed and they said they would fix it immediately but nothing happened! The television had an obvious line running through the screen and the tv itself needs an update! The coffee cups were dirty and cracked inside. The fire alarm went off at 7am randomly and the cleaners knocked once and came straight in without warning at 730am! We were looking forward to a relaxing spa/swim by that point but that was a joke in itself. Firstly, you need to go outside the hotel to enter the swimming pool area. Once we arrived the lady (who seemed so fed up of her job) placed the sign in sheet in our faces and had the cheek to ask us for £4 to enter the swimming pool area!! we had to ask for a towel. We were given a lock the size of a bike lock and had to walk through the dirty gym area to the changing rooms. The changing rooms were very dirty cold atmosphere and full of people who clearly only went there because it was cheap! The pool looked dirty and nothing like the professional pictures displayed on this site. I was very shocked at the type of people that were shouting and dominating the pool area (the language and disregard for other people using the facility was unacceptable!!). The Jacuzzi was out of order and a paper sign said do not use on the side. The steam room was small and so hot it felt like it could burn you and had an odd chemical smell in the steam. We left after 15minutes looking around as it was not a relaxing atmosphere at all!!!
We complained but they were disinterested in doing anything about it! I paid £160 for this room so why should I pay for the pool facilities and other hotels have this included!
As a result I would think carefully about booking into this hotel. If you want to experience a hotel similar to being in 'the shining' film then go ahead because this place seriously needs a new lease of life!! Its a lovely building and its ashame they have not shown it to its full glory. Would not stay here again as a result!

Room Tip: don't bother, they look nothing like the pictures shown on the professional site!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank katy jane c
adelphimanager1, Guest Relations Manager at Adelphi Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2014

Thankyou for your comments following your stay with us earlier this month. I was sorry to hear you did not enjoy your time here, however, I dislike your remark of our other guests referring to them as 'cattle of coach parties'. We do not discriminate to anybody wishing to stay with us and we welcome everyone. You clearly did not feel this and I can only apologise for any shortfall you experienced in our standards during your stay.

Reviewed 14 May 2014

We stayed here in May 2014 for one night after previously staying In January on short break. Room was much better this time than last time as was bathroom and shower. only complaint was we had a window that could not be opened at all which made the room very hot and stuffy and the fan just circulated hot stale air about. Good pleasant stay with a nice breakfast. pleasant stay was had by all

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank sparkieplug24
adelphimanager1, Guest Relations Manager at Adelphi Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2014

Hello and thank you for your comments after staying with us recently. I am pleased you enjoyed your time here despite the window not opening. I hope this didnt spoil your stay too much. Thanks once again.

Reviewed 13 May 2014

rooms could do with being painted up, hotel staff were very helpfull even checking us in for our flights home ,cracking breakfast, the bar did run out of certain drinks which was enoying considering the size of the hotel .

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Alan G
adelphimanager1, Guest Relations Manager at Adelphi Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2014

Hello and many thanks for your comments posted after staying with us recently. I agree our breakfast are second to none, I often wonder what guests can possibly complain about and I am delighted you agree with me. The staff will always help whenever possible, however, I can appreciate it must have been annoying for the bar to run out of some drinks, fortunately this is not the norm here and I hope it was soon rectified. Once again many thanks

Reviewed 12 May 2014

We're with lions Club of Acocks Green for our annual party weekend it's such a shame to see a star dulled. Britannia hotels need to spend some time and money on this once beautiful hotel. The lifts are a nightmare as was the fire alarm that went off 2 nights running. Beware room 365 water is scolding hot as I found out when I set the shower got in and then couldn't get near the taps to turn off the water also the heated towel rail is red hot in all we had a lovely weekend but really sorry to see this hotel falling into despair

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Hello and thank you for your comments after staying with us recently. I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us as part of The Lions reunion. I hope it will not deter you from coming to us again as The Lions are excellent clients of ours.

Reviewed 12 May 2014

We come through for Liverpool tattoo convention and stay at the adelphi most years, the hotel is wonderful. Great choice at breakfast, massive rooms. The only thing is the idiots roaming the halls at 3am shouting and screaming. But the hotel itself is great. Like the choice of having a smoking room too.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Laura G

Thankyou for your comments after staying with us earlier this month. I am pleased you enjoy your stay with us during Tattoo weekend. They have been coming to us for many years now and always fill the hotel to capacity. The guests running round corridors is a nuisance I know if you let reception know they will always come up and deal with the disupive guests. I will mention it to the tattoo organisers and perhaps they can enclose a disturbance note in their literature to people.

Reviewed 12 May 2014

I stayed for 3 nights while working. First night I arrived after a 5hr drive so was just happy with a bed. I was expecting a double but instead there were 2 singles pushed together. I would usually let this pass but rather than push the beds together and then dress with a double duvet, they decided to dress them separately. Also they put a double headboard behind the bed. Maybe they thought I'd be fooled?! Very noisy throughout the night, lots of banging and I could hear the elevator voice system. The room itself was passable I suppose; very old TV with about 8 channels, furniture that was quite possibly older than me, a broken hot tap that made the whole room shake when turned. Breakfast wasn't great, though it must've been a quiet period as didn't have to queue at all. No fried eggs, only scrambled. Toast that tasted like it was made last week. I got lucky and found a couple of beans amongst the tomato sauce.

Second night I came back from work at about 1am. Police car outside the hotel and bouncers on the door. BOUNCERS! At a hotel! The fire alarm went off at about 3am, scared the living bejesus out of me. Breakfast was similar to the morning before.

Third night I came back there were no police cars or bouncers this time. Fire alarm went off about 3am again, and then again at about 7am. Waited for about 15 minutes for a lift that never came so went down 4 flights of stairs with my bags to check out. Just to top the stay off I get harassed by some homeless geezer before I've even left the lobby.

I've told my employer of my displeasure of this hotel so I don't think I'll have to suffer it again!

Room Tip: Here's a tip: There's a Premier Inn and a Holiday Inn a couple of hundred feet away. Stay th...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Steve B

Thank you for your comments following your stay with us recently. I am very sorry that you did not enjoy your time here. The room you describe is a single room, we were not trying to 'fool' you at all. I agree the televisions in some of the rooms are quite dated, but we have received a delivery this week to replace all the tv's in all 402 bedrooms. I am sure if you had requested fried eggs the staff would have glady replenished them for you as with the baked beans, however, I do apologise that they hadnt already been. With regards to the door security, this is for our guests benefit to prevent unwanted members of the public coming into the hotel and spoiling residents stay. I am sorry you will not be returning to stay with us.