“Iconic hotel??? Not anymore”

Adelphi Hotel & Spa
Ranked #74 of 98 Hotels in Liverpool
Reviewed 18 June 2014

I've always wanted to stay at the alephi , such a well known and Iconic hotel in the city. Going to a gig near by I booked the Adelphi for 1 night at £50 for a double / twin room. The outside is go grand and the main entrance and reception are the same . But that's where it ends! As soon as you get into the lift and the buttons don't light but and it creeks as it moves you realise just how tired and run down this hotel is. We stayed on the 5th and as we opened the door the disappointed hit. The room was tiny, boiling and very tired. Opening the window to try and cool it down , it only opened about an inch and had a wall of sorts on the other side so you couldn't even see out of it. The room is also used as a twin room so had two single beds pushed together , which is fine apart from that than ment the side table didn't fit so you caught it with your leg trying to get out of bed. The bathroom was terrible. The reminds of what I'm guessing was once towel rails where left sticking out of the walls. Pretty dangerous really as they where really sharp. The was a pipe sticking out of the wall into the bath. The hotel is advertised with a car park,I wouldn't say this is true. There is an unsecured open car park behind the hotel that they use but anyone can park there not just hotel guests for £12 a day.even checking out was a pain and took over 10 mins. The hotel was full of oap coach parties and this is the only people I'd recommend this hotel too. So many amazing places to stay in the city , the block on the docks, signature living , malmaison . Don't waste your money here

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Kerryy1984
adelphimanager1, Guest Relations Manager at Adelphi Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2014

Thankyou for your review following your stay here. I am sorry you were disappointed with your stay here but as there was no actual complaint I could comment on it is difficult for me to reply. For a city centre hotel to have any parking, secure or otherwise, is a tremendous boost for guests who do not wish to walk miles around a city to park their cars. At £50.00 for a double room I think this was excellent deal and much less expensive than the other hotels you mention in your review.

There are newer reviews for Adelphi Hotel & Spa

Reviewed 18 June 2014

We stayed here for the Royal College of Nursing Congress in Liverpool. From the outside it looks fabulous and the main areas are really stunning with huge chandeliers and lots of vases of fresh flowers which is always nice!
Check-in was smooth and our room was on the second floor, accessible by stairs or lift.
The room itself was rather tired and desperately in need of some TLC! The carpet was dirty with old sweets stuck to it and lots of dust in the corners and the big, squashy sofa, while comfortable and a nice touch, was covered in make-up stains which easily came off with a wet cloth so it says something about the cleaning (or lack of!) of the rooms! However, I really liked the room! Very Victorian with high ceilings, coving, panelling etc and the beds were very comfortable.
The bathroom was another matter however! Very, very dirty with a loose toilet seat which moved when it was sat on, cracked wash basin, limescale and rust everywhere....a bit of a disgrace really! Very mucky floor and I scalded my hands a couple of times as the hot water tap gives boiling hot water instantly!
The pub/bar area looked nice but when we went in for a drink we were overwhelmed by cigarette smoke so obviously smoking is allowed in this bar which is problematic as my colleague is asthmatic and smoking can trigger an attack. We didn't bother with a drink as a result.
To be fair, we only paid £60 for the night which is good for a city centre hotel and it was local to lots of places and 5 minutes from Liverpool Lime Street station. If the rooms in dire need could be updated and cleaned properly the Adelphi could be restored to its former glory....the potential is definitely there!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Arrived Sunday afternoon,eventually found the entrance so I could drop my disabled friend off and register,got her to the bedroom,6th floor room 666 the number of the beast lol having paid £12.00 so I could then take the car to the car park behind the hotel and walk back.The room was large but very tired,with a wet room and jacuzzi bath again a good size.
The metal windows were very stiff to open and for obvious reasons they didn't open much,the secondary glazing was also very hard to open and close and it was a very humid evening.
The music was there from the moment we got into the room no idea where it was coming from but even on the top floor it sounded like it was in the room but to shut the windows made the room so much hotter.
We went for dinner the dining room nicely decorated but the tables in lines with no room in between to get past the people already sat down.
As it was all self service it was difficult to get your food back to your seat but thankfully the food was very well cooked with a good choice and the 3 course meal was very good.
The staff were friendly and very hard working ,the room had no air very stuffy,the only draught was from the open door into the reception area.
The reception entrance is very grand and the ballroom I found by mistake was spectacular set for the evening for the coach parties that kept arriving.
The loud music was still going at 1.30 and beyond even with all the windows shut still ridiculously loud and we had to suffer in the heat of the room.
Breakfast again was self service,the porridge was up the steps,there was a lot of steps down to the restaurant so not disabled friendly at all.
There was a good selection for breakfast and the containers were kept filled up so we enjoyed the food on offer,shame about having to push and shove the crowd to get at things and then try to get back to your seat
A very nice person went to get our luggage from the room and I went uphill to get the car from the car park,he very kindly helped to get it into the boot.
We certainly thought the food was good just needed more room or staggered eating and not in lines like a canteen.
I am afraid we will not be returning as it is not disable friendly and much too noisy for us

Room Tip: Best to be at the back of the hotel away from the road but not sure it would have been much quieter...
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Straight away I'm going to be honest I paid £100 for two nights.

Looking at the the hotel from the outside my instant reaction was 'Oh my god, Wow!'. This place wouldn't look out of place in Monte Carlo.

The Adelphi Hotel from the street looks incredible and the history to go with it only adds to the romance.

Sadly that's where the romance ends and I could then realise why it was so cheap.

The inner belly of the hotel needs major refurbishment work. This goes from the lobby all the way up to the 6th floor, being brutally honest, it's a tired hotel.

Everything in the hotel needs looking at and improving. I do not have enough time to go through it all but a perfect example are the two lifts from the lobby.

Too small for the amount of rooms/guests, grubby and slighty malfunctional as only one or two floor button lights actually work. The amount of times I saw new arrivals in pure confusion as to why their floor light wasn't coming on after repeatedly pressing the button became comical.

It's little things like this across the board that all add up to leave you frustrated. This hotel needs major investment to restore it back to it's former glory whilst still embracing the traditional theme and removing the cheap branding signage, 'bomb shelter bar' seriously?!

It became apparent that they now rely on OAP coach trip guests to keep ticking over. I've seen the management deny this in previous guest reviews but it is 100% accurate. It's a sad situation for a hotel once regarded as the best outside of London.

I'd happily pay £200 a night to stay here if it had a refurbishment. It could be incredible with the right vision, right people and money behind it.

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Aaron2304
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Stopped here one night on a national holidays trip. First impressions wasn't happy as im disabled and have a mobility scooter so went to the disabled entrance as main entrance is all steps but when finally found the entrance rang bell 4 times before someone came to let us in and her attitude was awful couldn't of cared less and was told they dont like rif raf coming in! The entrance is pointless anyway as theres more steps and chair lift doesn't work so if you cant walk at all your stuffed my mum had to keep carrying my scooter up/down the steps for me at main entrance, lucky for me I can walk some as theres steps everywhere in the hotel and lots of them. Room/bathroom is massive but very dirty hope you like looking at yourself as theres loads of mirrors in room was in a room on 1st floor and was very noisy from pub across road. Tried to shut windows to block out the noise a bit they was very tight so wouldn't shut. Tea is ok but one meal on menu so if you dont like it youve had it never offered tea/coffee at teatime or next morning at breakfast. Morning we came out a nice man let us out a different way due too all the steps which was good but only if in a chair/scooter has its a very long walk if you cant walk much was told theyre making it more disabled friendly in 2 months time if that's true or not who knows. Watch out for ghosts too as they definitely have them. Overall unless they make it more disabled friendly I wont want to stop there again as there's a lot of walking and going up/down steps all the time

1  Thank popsey2116
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Arrived for a one night stay had booked an early check in , reception not aware? They did after a phone call to the housekeeper offer us a suite, which sounds kind of grand but it wasnt. I guess we had space with huge windows and a very high ceiling, we even had an old dining table !!!!!!!
However , it wasn,t very clean, lace curtains dirty, peeling wallpaper, secondary double glazed the void was filthy.
We did get an old spa bath that worked but the fixed shower made it difficult to wash hair.
Very poor quality towels and miniscule toiletries.

This hotel was probably very impressive in its prime.
We booked because it had a health club complete with sauna/steam room and pool, we went down to use to be met with oh we are upgrading we are closed. No sorry just a snigger.

Staff well not very friendly and quite abrupt at times.

Dinner , as this was part of the deal we didnt bother looking outside, (well I wish we had) not sure if a chef cooked it but you can buy all the ingredients at Farmfoods. frozen roasties , overcooked frozen roast beef with no yorkshires, oh but we got fressh carrots and broccoli.
Not much choice starter was a skinny piece of melon with tinned fruit salad or mushroom soup (this turned out to be the best course.) Dessert was a cheap choc cake or some kind of tray bake neither looked like you would enjoy them so we skipped. , over all Brittania you can do better. I know your only 3 star but come on good money deserves good clean quality accomodation and service and food that is appetising and fresh. i really would not have bought that dinner had I not pre purchased. My advice to anyone staying at the Adelphi stick to bed and breakfast there,s loads of dining options within walking distance. forgot to say this was a shopping and site seeing break and we celebrated our Ruby wedding the day before.

Room Tip: Apparently the top floors have had some kind of up grade , we were on first floor which hadnt.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dolphinlee
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Stayed for 3 nights on a hen do, mainly booked this hotel for it's pool, sauna etc. After 7 hours of driving and really looking forwards to a relaxing swim and steam, we check in only to be told the pool is closed for refurbishment! if we knew this we would have booked somewhere cheaper. The rooms were disgusting, there was chewing gum next to my bed, bath hadn't been cleaned, maid stopped coming after the first night so we had no clean towels for day three and four. Breakfast was ok, but staff could of had smiles on their faces! Although its close to town and parking is only a minute walk, I doubt I will stay here again if i ever return to liverpool! Luckily we had a room at the back of the hotel so we didn't hear any loud people as night and music from the clubs, but friends in another room were at the front so they had a lot of noise

2  Thank Courtney0717