“Great location”

Adelphi Hotel & Spa
Ranked #74 of 98 Hotels in Liverpool
Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights Fri sat. Firstly brilliant location. With in walking distance to tourist attractions. Shopping. Nightlife. Restaurant.
The hotel was very nice from the outside and the reception and lounge were very nice. Our room was fine on the 5th floor it was clean and had everything you required. Have read some of the reviews on here about dirty rooms. Broken lifts. Queing at reception. We never experienced any of these problems.
The main problem we experienced was the restaurant. Waiting about 20 Mins for a table for breakfast and dinner. Food not being refilled. Rude staff. We didn't bother going to the restaurant on the Saturday it was easier to go elsewhere. Did hear a lot of people complaining about it. But staff didn't seem bothered.
As they say you get what you pay for! 50pound a night for a city centre location on a Saturday! So we would definitely use it again. We had a brilliant weekend in Liverpool.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
adelphimanager1, Guest Relations Manager at Adelphi Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2014

Hello and thank you for your comments following your recent stay here. It was disappointing to read that your only complaint was the restaurant. We do try to direct guests to actual dining times to alleviate queues, however, this doesnt always work as it would appear in your case. I am delighted that it has not deterred you from returning to us.

Reviewed 22 June 2014

I don't go looking to give terrible reviews, but I feel readers of Trip Advisor should be given honest accounts, and the honest truth is my experience of the Adelphi was truly terrible. From the moment I walked into the once grand lobby I had the feeling of a hotel near the end of a terrible decline. There was a small queue for the receptionists, but it took a long time for my turn to come round as everyone was making a compliant of one sort or another. When I found my room down dreary corridors with worn, smelly carpets my pass key would not open the door - In two days I had to be issued with three of them as they repeated failed to open the room. My room, once I did gain admittance, was musty and humid. There was no air conditioning, and the window wouldn't open far enough to let in much air. The view was perhaps the worst I have ever had in a hotel, and the bed had a thin mattress and was uncomfortable. One reason I chose the hotel was fort the free wifi, but I couldn't even find the Hotel's Network on my IPad at all during my stay, neither in my room nor in the breakfast hall (I did point this out twice, and was told both times the IT people would be emailed about it). The breakfast was pretty dire, with the most soggy has browns I have ever tried to eat. To cap it all, I asked for a wake up call at 8am on my last day, as I need a lie in, and it came through at 6.30am.

The hotel was full of elderly people on coach tours. I have no problem with that, but feel that this may be easy money for the hotel, and standards have been allowed to slip about as far as they can go.

I was attending a conference nearby (another reason for choosing the hotel), and conference goers from both the UK and further afield refused to stay there after seeing their rooms. Frankly, having this experience when attending an international conference is unacceptable and, for me as a local national, very embarrassing.

The last reason I chose the Adelphi was because I like to go to characterful, and particularly iconic, places to stay, and I can put up with a fair bit of discomfort and eccentric service which you wouldn't experience at newer, but more 'anonymous', hotels. During my stay, I went with a fellow conference goer to her new hotel by the docks, and felt myself longing for just such an anonymous, but clean and reliable, hotel experience again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Robin H

Thankyou for your comments following your stay with us whilst attending a conference in the city. I am really sorry that you felt let down by the hotel and felt compelled to write about your experience. We get very mixed reviews from this site and I can only apologise again that your stay with us was not what I could have liked you to enjoy.

Reviewed 22 June 2014

Has to be the worst stay in a hotel I've had. Not a very good welcome - no eye contact, no wish for a good stay. Room had mildew round the window and large area of plaster exposed where the paint had peeled off. The narrowest bed I've ever seen. Sloppy and inconsistent standard of housekeeping. It was overpriced and I found out that other guests had paid less than half of what I paid for the same board basis. I wrote a detailed letter of complaint, with some constructive suggestions - no reply 4 months on. Ideally situated and a grand ground floor but from there on I feel I was completely duped by the advertising. Oh sorry, I almost forgot, the breakfast was quite good but don't miss the pass of the teapot - no you can't have your own pot of tea.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank steph r

Thankyou for your comments following your stay with us in March. I am sorry you were disappointed with your stay and felt you did not receive value for money. All correspondence comes to me and I can assure you had I received your complaint, I would have replied to it.

Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

Grand building, on entrance interior takes you back to the hay days of such hotels.
Our room was very spacious with a double draw dressing table with tea and coffee facilities, phone and large decorative lamp.
A small day bed ready made by the fully open window taking you eye to two comfortable chairs with large coffee table facing the wall mounted wide screen televison underneath is a large decorative piece of furniture. A very large four poster bed takes up prime postion with bedside table and a full length mirror in a corner.
Two doors one which lead you to a clean bathroom with a bath built for two and shower, double sink and usual tiolet. The other door is a small antiroom with a wardrobe, iron and ironing board.
We had a very comfortable night, even with the music from near by clubs which became muffled or stopped by 2am.
Buffet style breakfast, its a must you get there early before the crowd to have a more relaxed start to your day. If you are a heavy sleeper prepare to do the british thing and queue.
Car park at the rear of hotel is on semi waste ground which cost £12 for visit.
Depending on your ability for stairs be prepared for the catch a lift game patience is needed. Did walk from 4th floor to ground once during stay only once didn't attempt going up.
I have read other reviews the room was clean, safe and spacious. Yes the outside noise was loud and shutting the window not an option as room temp would raise quickly. Maybe a tower fan or ceiling fan to keep the air circulating was suggested on comments card.
It maybe a tired building in places but overall enjoyed our stay and would not hesitate to return may even ask for same room.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Thankyou so much for your lovely review, it was a delight to read and reply to. By all means do request the same room when you book as a lot of our returning guests do like the same rooms each time they stay and we always do our utmost to help. Many thanks once again.

Reviewed 20 June 2014

Im fully aware of the history of the adelphi and it is still very dated we paid £219 on new years eve,
our check in was average there was no warm welcome, our first room had three work men in and it stuck of cigaretts! me and my friend where so unimpressed as the work men didnt seem like they where in any hurry! so we complained and where then put in an average room and it was ok, the shower was very dated and the bathroom was tiny, the bed was comfy and the breakfast was great!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends

Thankyou for your comments after staying with us New Years Eve. I am sorry you were disappointed with your room and felt it was not value for money. Rooms are at a premium in any city for this night of the year and are normally on a room only basis. We offered great value for money and included breakfast.

Reviewed 19 June 2014

I don't normally write bad reviews but I really can't underdstand how people are giving 3,4 and 5 reviews? I think 1 is generous seen as I can't think of one good thing to write about it. We only stayed for one night so we could have a laugh about it, but if you stayed for longer or came from abroad and/or were visiting liverpool for the first time, I'm sure it would be very dissapointing.

When you first walk in the main hall is very grand and you can get an idea of how nice it would have been in it's day, but sadly its day has long gone! Now the grand hall is overpowered by the mouldy, musty smell which tells you how old it is. That smell continues throughout the hotel and into the room. You would expect a bit of wear tear with the building being as old as it is, but the room was falling apart and the cleanliness was unbelievable. Stains on the beadsheets, carpets and walls, the yellow stains on the wall in the bathroom did wash off when I turned the shower on them though. The breakfast was inedible slop! Nasty sausages, the worse hash browns I've ever eaten, scrambled egg floating in water? Even the toast wasn't nice. I am by no means fussy but couldn't eat more than a bite of everything that I tasted, and judging by the reaction on the tables next to us we weren't the only ones.

Liverpool is a city full of history and the adelphi is part of it, but barring a drastic turn around it should not be a part of it's future. We couldn't wait to leave! There are plenty of hotels in liverpool to stay in, lot's of nice bars and restaurants to go to, museums, tours, the docks. Don't let your stay be tainted by staying in the adelphi.

Room Tip: Room 305 in the travel lodge
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank paolo236

Thankyou for your comments after staying with us recently. I am really sorry you did not enjoy your time here. I do not believe it was as bad as you make it out to be or we would not be one of the busiest hotels in the city, bringing large amounts of business into the city 365 days of the year.

Reviewed 19 June 2014

An iconic hotel dating back to 1826, with that in mind we were not expecting to be overly impressed but I must admit the hotel was better than expected, it has a fantastic location in the centre of the city just minutes walk from both Liverpool Central and Lime Street railway station, the reception area although dated is quite impressive with its marble walls and floors. Again. The rooms are dated but have maintained the features from many years past, ours was clean and tidy and a good size with a great view of the Liver Birds Building in the distance.
We were on a Groupon deal so we ate in the hotel on the fist evening, the dining room was very busy but we sat in the upper level which didn't appear to be so manic, food was buffet self service and the choice and quality was better than anticipated as was breakfast, all the staff that we dealt with from reception to waiters and waitresses were very helpful. If you are looking for a hotel that is ideally located then the Adelphi is a great choice just do not expect 5 star that it is not, but it could be with huge refurbishment investment.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Hello and many thanks for your lovely review. It was a pleasure to read and I will pass on your comments to all my collegues. Refurbishment is always ongoing but in a property this size it takes time and a lot of expense but it does, has and will continue to happen.