“Rooms need.to be cheaper”

Adelphi Hotel & Spa
Ranked #73 of 97 Hotels in Liverpool
London, United Kingdom
“Rooms need.to be cheaper”
Reviewed 25 June 2014 via mobile

Hotel looks lovely from outside but very tired looking inside .
Rooms ok but could do with a clean .Could not see tv picture because of dust and dirt on the screen .
Bteakfast was good other than their real cheap tasteing sasauges.
I

• Stayed June 2014
adelphimanager1, Guest Relations Manager at Adelphi Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
Thankyou for your comments after staying with us recently. It was disappointing to read your review, but I do apologise if you found things less than satisfacatory. Britannia Hotels offer excellent value for money and many of our guests who return to stay with us time and time again have found.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,531)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
County Meath, Ireland
Reviewed 24 June 2014

Like the majority of reviewers, I don't like leaving bad reviews but, unfortunately, it's really difficult to give this hotel a positive review! I had read a handful of the negative reviews of this hotel before booking but honestly thought it couldn't be as bad as everyone was making out. How wrong was I.

Upon arrival, I was pleasantly surprised when I saw the outside of the hotel and even the lobby and thought it was actually going to be OK. However, from here on out it went downhill fast! As soon as you step out of the lift on to your floor the musty, damp smell hits you with a bang. Entering your room is no better; you are greeted with yet another horrible smell and the amount of stains on the carpets and bed linen is quite shocking. The bathroom is yet another level of disgustingness; same smell, rust-ridden and mold all over the shower and shower curtain. And I really don't believe that at £50 per night this is a good deal... I have stayed in cheaper hostels which are far more clean and enjoyable.

The only positive I can give the hotel is its location. It's central and within a short walking distance to everything.

Liverpool is a fantastic city so don't mar your trip by staying here! Plenty more nicer hotels (at similar prices) to choose from.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank sarkova
Thankyou for your comments following your stay with us recently. I am sorry you did not enjoy your time and aplogise if you found the bedroom and bathroom below cleanliness standard. I will make sure the head housekeeper reads your remarks. I do believe we offer great value for money and would be hard to find another hotel in the city with the same location and facilties we offer at a lower price.

Travellers are raving about these Liverpool hotels

Reviewed 23 June 2014

I am sitting in my cousin's house who has just rescued me from this filthy, unfriendly hotel which advertises itself falsely. I am staying in Liverpoo for a few days and decided i would treat myself to a night at the Adelphi because of its "excellent health facilities". I was keen to take advantage of the swimming, sauna, steam and jacuzzi. How disappointed I was to find on my arrival that all these facilities were unavailable due to refurbishment. Why was this not stated when I was booking? I asked the young man on reception. To which he replied "well theres a notice there on the wall!" In an extremely condescending manner! Did it not occur to hom that people who would book online would not be able to see his notice on the wall? The service staff were surley and unhelpful. When I eventually got into room it was not the dated grandeur that struck me but the stench. The room smelt dusty, stale and smokey as though it had not been aired out for several years. It was also dirty, carpets were threadbare and obviously could not be hoovered regularly due to this issue. The room had a general film of filth on it. I opened the windows to try and air the room out and went out for tea. When I came back three hours later the smell was just as bad. There was a double bed and a single bed in the room but housekeeping had not bothered to make the beds properly and had thrown a dustsheet over the single bed, obviously thought it did not matter hiw the room was presented. I would not recommend tjis hotel to anyone in fact will at every opportunity would warn people away from staying here.

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Margy-Rude
Hello and thank you for your review following your recent stay here. I am really sorry you did not enjoy your time with us and I will let housekeeping know of your comments. We did let all booking agents know that the leisure facilties would be under refurbishment and I am sorry this was not relayed to you when you booked. Once again my apologies
Uley, null, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

Nice to see a busy real hotel, good mix of clientele. Bit tired in places, would have been amazing in its day. Stayed for 2 nights with a group of friends, rooms were adequate and whole environment has more character than a chain hotel. Good value for money, breakfast was nice and good central location. More investment needed to restore the grandeur to elevate status. Would stay again

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Mark E
Many thanks for your lovely review. There is a refurbishment plan in place, but it does take time with a building this huge, with 402 bedrooms, 2 restaurants, 3 bars, leisure club and 26 function rooms, but hopefully if you visit us again you will see an improvement.
Motherwell, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights Fri sat. Firstly brilliant location. With in walking distance to tourist attractions. Shopping. Nightlife. Restaurant.
The hotel was very nice from the outside and the reception and lounge were very nice. Our room was fine on the 5th floor it was clean and had everything you required. Have read some of the reviews on here about dirty rooms. Broken lifts. Queing at reception. We never experienced any of these problems.
The main problem we experienced was the restaurant. Waiting about 20 Mins for a table for breakfast and dinner. Food not being refilled. Rude staff. We didn't bother going to the restaurant on the Saturday it was easier to go elsewhere. Did hear a lot of people complaining about it. But staff didn't seem bothered.
As they say you get what you pay for! 50pound a night for a city centre location on a Saturday! So we would definitely use it again. We had a brilliant weekend in Liverpool.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Hello and thank you for your comments following your recent stay here. It was disappointing to read that your only complaint was the restaurant. We do try to direct guests to actual dining times to alleviate queues, however, this doesnt always work as it would appear in your case. I am delighted that it has not deterred you from returning to us.
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 June 2014

I don't go looking to give terrible reviews, but I feel readers of Trip Advisor should be given honest accounts, and the honest truth is my experience of the Adelphi was truly terrible. From the moment I walked into the once grand lobby I had the feeling of a hotel near the end of a terrible decline. There was a small queue for the receptionists, but it took a long time for my turn to come round as everyone was making a compliant of one sort or another. When I found my room down dreary corridors with worn, smelly carpets my pass key would not open the door - In two days I had to be issued with three of them as they repeated failed to open the room. My room, once I did gain admittance, was musty and humid. There was no air conditioning, and the window wouldn't open far enough to let in much air. The view was perhaps the worst I have ever had in a hotel, and the bed had a thin mattress and was uncomfortable. One reason I chose the hotel was fort the free wifi, but I couldn't even find the Hotel's Network on my IPad at all during my stay, neither in my room nor in the breakfast hall (I did point this out twice, and was told both times the IT people would be emailed about it). The breakfast was pretty dire, with the most soggy has browns I have ever tried to eat. To cap it all, I asked for a wake up call at 8am on my last day, as I need a lie in, and it came through at 6.30am.

The hotel was full of elderly people on coach tours. I have no problem with that, but feel that this may be easy money for the hotel, and standards have been allowed to slip about as far as they can go.

I was attending a conference nearby (another reason for choosing the hotel), and conference goers from both the UK and further afield refused to stay there after seeing their rooms. Frankly, having this experience when attending an international conference is unacceptable and, for me as a local national, very embarrassing.

The last reason I chose the Adelphi was because I like to go to characterful, and particularly iconic, places to stay, and I can put up with a fair bit of discomfort and eccentric service which you wouldn't experience at newer, but more 'anonymous', hotels. During my stay, I went with a fellow conference goer to her new hotel by the docks, and felt myself longing for just such an anonymous, but clean and reliable, hotel experience again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Robin H
Thankyou for your comments following your stay with us whilst attending a conference in the city. I am really sorry that you felt let down by the hotel and felt compelled to write about your experience. We get very mixed reviews from this site and I can only apologise again that your stay with us was not what I could have liked you to enjoy.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Has to be the worst stay in a hotel I've had. Not a very good welcome - no eye contact, no wish for a good stay. Room had mildew round the window and large area of plaster exposed where the paint had peeled off. The narrowest bed I've ever seen. Sloppy and inconsistent standard of housekeeping. It was overpriced and I found out that other guests had paid less than half of what I paid for the same board basis. I wrote a detailed letter of complaint, with some constructive suggestions - no reply 4 months on. Ideally situated and a grand ground floor but from there on I feel I was completely duped by the advertising. Oh sorry, I almost forgot, the breakfast was quite good but don't miss the pass of the teapot - no you can't have your own pot of tea.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank steph r
Thankyou for your comments following your stay with us in March. I am sorry you were disappointed with your stay and felt you did not receive value for money. All correspondence comes to me and I can assure you had I received your complaint, I would have replied to it.