“The original Liverpool Titanic experience”

Adelphi Hotel & Spa
Ranked #75 of 99 Hotels in Liverpool
Reviewed 1 July 2014

25 years after our wedding at the Adelphi our son booked us in for our silver wedding. We loved every minute. The beauty was it has hardly changed and held all its original charm and character despite what some other reviewers have said! Yes it may seem dated and some rooms are relatively small but we loved it all. The hotel is wonderful. Staff on reception were so lovely and we were upgraded and gifted drinks because of our celebration. They didn't need to do this but so glad they did as we had one of the fabulous suites complete with jacuzzi bath. Loved sitting in the Grand Lounge with champagne taking in the view , magnificent chandeliers, arches, ambience. Recommended for a real nostalgic break.

Room Tip: Got to book a suite !
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (6,037)

Reviewed 30 June 2014

Starting with the positives - the location of the hotel was great, a very short walk from lime street station, shops, docks, nightlife etc. There is a large on site car park available at £12 per day - very convenient. The beds in our twin room were reasonably comfortable and the shower was fine. The negatives were around cleanliness and the general upkeep of the hotel. Our room had dirty handprints on the walls and there were used tissues in the bathroom on arrival. There was also some damp in the room, and everything felt as if it had long seen better days. The lifts were very slow and constantly claimed to be overloaded, further compounding the issue. This could be a truly stunning hotel if efforts were made to modernise it. For the purpose of a weekend away where you intend to spend minimal time in your room it is more than fine, but could be so much better. Spa facilities were all shut when we visited so can't comment on these. Breakfast not great but ok.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

Due to work commitments stayed at the Adelphi again.this time a single room on the 5th floor.
Clean room with the basic needs tea and coffee facilities, Internet, TV.
Staff always helpful and friendly.. I actually paid the extra £6 to stay here that another hotel in town centre. Deco is amazing.. In my book a must...

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 June 2014

The worst hotel in a great location. Does the Britannia group not realise that this Gem of a building needs to close for total refurbishment. Then, when the tired infrastructure is sorted they can hire some new staff that can be proud of their job.
I am sure that morale in that hotel must be so low due to the decrepit surroundings.
Britannia needs to spend a serious amount of money on this architectural gem before it falls down!

Room Tip: Don't go in the summer as there is no air conditioning in the rooms and if you open the windows...
Reviewed 29 June 2014

The hotel itself is beautiful, great spaces downstairs just made for a bit of a do. There was a wedding and a party during our stay giving the place a buzz. It was noisy at night but it is a city centre hotel. We stil got a good noghts sleep. Despite the hotel being really busy the staff were friendly and helpful and our room basic but clean. This is a 3 star and certainly looks 'lived in' which we didn't mind, it adds to the character. The amazing architecture and the hotels sense of style more than makes up for any little faults. Thanks for a great weekend.

• Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights whilst taking part in Coporate Games 2014. The hotel is ideally situated within walking distance of the most popular tourist attractions, shops & pubs ect. Although the hotel is very large the rection service was quick, efficient & very friendly on Friday 27th June 4pm. The entrance and dining areas are very well kept however the rooms are a little tired and would benefit from a once over - they are however clean even if a little old & small.
The room had tea & coffee facilities which were replenished daily.
There was no iron in the room however we really needed one on Saturday 28th June so rang reception to see if there was one available to use. The guy on reception said that there wasn't one available and he didn't know which rooms had them or when they would be returned? Although we thought this a little strange he did say he would contact us once one came available? Within 10 minutes there was a knock on the door and a brand new iron was given to use which they had obviously gone out and purchased as the plug cover was still in place. Now that's what you call service.. Much appreciated!
There are a couple of different bars and a resturant which are all decorated to a much better standard than the bedrooms.
The breakfast was fresh, hot and plentiful - no fresh fruit available though which may be appreciated by a number of guests? Full english breakfast, pastries & cereals all available though..
I would recommend this hotel if you want somewhere central to stay whilst in Liverpool which has great service? Yes the bedrooms may be a little tired but for the price is more than sufficient for what you need...

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Bella8891
Reviewed 29 June 2014

I stayed at this hotel with my husband for four nights on our first coach tour holiday. We visit LIverpool regularly but this was our first stay at the Adelphi. I can now say it will be our last stay at this hotel and also our last coach tour if this is the best they have to offer. On arrival, I had to lug two suitcases up the front steps as there is no ramp and my husband's back condition prevents him from any heavy lifting. The foyer and large lounge are very grand but that is where the grandeur stops. I wasn't expecting our bedroom to be other than basic but I was expecting it to be clean. Once out of the lift on the fifth floor there was a permeating smell of mustiness. Our room was no better. It was very hot so we opened the very dirty window, which helped a little. There were holes in the carpet, one side of the double bed was pushed up against the wall, which meant there was only one way in and out and only one bedside table with lamp. The furniture was very shabby and the walls were stained. The bathroom was adequate but the hot water seemed to be almost boiling and the first time I used the shower I nearly scalded myself. After showering, I walked across the bathroom and bedroom in bare feet and had to go back and wash them again as they were filthy from the floor. I made sure I kept my feet covered after that experience. The plumbing was very noisy and sounded like a liner coming into dock on the Mersey every time we flushed the toilet! On opening our note from reception with details of meal times etc, we were shocked to see that we had been allocated breakfast at 7am and dinner at 5pm. These times might suit some people but to us 5pm is not dinner time and as I have to take medication an hour before my an breakfast, getting up at 6am each morning was not an option I relished. We explained our concerns to the restaurant staff and were told that because I had 'dietary requirements' I could choose when I ate. All very well for me but what about the other poor souls? I noticed that some fire doors were propped open with towels whilst the housekeeping was going on. Surely this is not a practice that should occur under any circumstances. The gym and swimming pool facilities were out of action due to refurbishment but we were not informed of this until after we arrived. The food in the restaurant was adequate but very limited in choice. We sampled the hotel entertainment on the first evening and were pleasantly surprised. The entertainment staff were very personable and professional and we enjoyed our evening. The following evening we used the Wave Bar as the Cocktail Bar was full. The Wave Bar is dirty and the furniture is stained and badly worn. The bar staff on the other hand were excellent. The only positives about this hotel are its location, the friendly restaurant and bar staff, the hot (if dangerous) water, clean towels and bed linen. Liverpool and its people are wonderful so don't be put off from going, just stay somewhere other than the Adelphi. A word to the Britannia and Adelphi management, please listen to the many negative as well as the positive reviews and do something to improve what could be a lovely hotel.

1  Thank Diane P