“Appalling”

Adelphi Hotel & Spa
Ranked #74 of 98 Hotels in Liverpool
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Dirty and poorly maintained throughout.

If they offer you a room on the mezzanine; run - the mezzanine is actually in the basement and they have forgotten to update the rooms since the early '60s.

Avoid the gym, it is filthy and there is nothing for users to clean down the equipment with and the changing rooms are a disgrace.

Interestingly the receptionist didn't ask me whether I had enjoyed my stay, as is the norm in most hotels.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank David H

Reviewed 22 July 2014

Okay, I understand raising the rates when a big event is in town like the Open at Royal Liverpool, however, this hotel should not be on anyones radar ever. This hotel charged me over $200 pounds for one night, when it would normally charge approx. $30 pounds. The room was dirty, furniture was at least 50 years old, possibly older, and the bed was nothing more than a slab of foam on an old wood frame.
The bathroom was equally primitive.

It had one thing going for it though. It was a close walk to the Liverpool Lime train station. For that convenience I paid dearly.

Room Tip: go anywhere else
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank peter299
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Just returned from an overnight stay at the Adelphi, and looking at some of the reviews , other people have had some bad experiences. The rating system on here jumps from "average" to "very good" but really I think I would give this a "good" rating. Its a very grand old building that has seen better days. However, our room (247) was very clean and and large and airy. The bathroom had a whirlpool bath although admittedly the bathroom had been fitted out a good 20 years or so ago. Its in a great central location, closed to the railway station and right next to the "Liverpool One" shopping area. The Cavern area and the Albert Dock are also a short walk away. Many people have mentioned coach parties and there were about 8 coaches in when we arrived. Things can get busy, but we had no complaints. The staff were very helpful, particularly the lady in the Cromptons Restaurant. The Cromptons Restaurant is an alternative to the main buffet restaurant and costs about an extra £5 each but it was well worth it. Some parts of the hotel do look "tired" but the main lounges and entertainment areas are very well kept. Overall a good break at a reasonable price and we're booking again.

Room Tip: Try to get room 247 or one nearby. Lovely "period" rooms with wood panelling and 4-poster...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JohnDBarnsley
Reviewed 22 July 2014

I've never felt the need to comment on here before but felt I should in the hope it puts people staying at The Adelphi. I have never stayed anywhere as bad as this, most nights it took 2 or 3 attempts just to get in the room as the key cards never worked. If you are reviewing this hotel looking to stay you will be better off sleeping rough than staying at the Adelphi!

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank David W
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Came on a bus trip .Was supposed to come with a girl friend but sadly she couldn't make it so my husband came with me instead. Had a dusty, uncleaned, small what they sell as a double room. Room 604. Had to go to reception and ask for house keeping to come and clean the room . Carpet covered in dust, valance sheet dirty, hair clips on the bathroom floor. The windows were filthy the skirting boards have never been cleaned in months and when I laid on the bed the I noticed that the inside of the lamp was covered in either tea, coffee or sick. Disgusting. Walls had dirty marks all over them. The house keeping was on the landing on my way down to the reception and I asked them to come and look at the room and the lad who came in was gobsmacked and immediately washed the marks off the wall. I couldn't bring myself to look at the mattress. I did not expect the Ritz but I did expect basic cleanliness. This room had not been cleaned in weeks! I was offered an alternative room 659 which sadly wasn't much better as it had a dirty brown water stain across the coving which they hadn't even tried to cover. Why would you offer this room?? House keeping did come and clean the room but we should never have had to ask!! It is sad that a once beautiful building is in such a state now. I have emailed Britania and National Holidays with whom I travelled. Would visit Liverpool again but would not stay at the Adelphi again.

Room Tip: Book a different hotel.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank gettawaydays
Reviewed 21 July 2014

I was in a single room that was really a glorified cupboard. It was right by the lifts and I was kept awake both by the lift and the people using it. The sink still had remnants from the a previous occupant, both in the sink and on the splash back tiles. The bed was of below average quality. The room was tidy enough. The carpets in the public areas were filthy. The car park is not attached to the hotel, it is on a piece of wasteland at the rear. It is not secure and costs £12 if you pay at the hotel. I found the staff to polite, if a touch curt. I didn't risk breakfast.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank redcourier
Reviewed 20 July 2014

This room at the back of the hotel cost the wife and myself £100 per night with a parking charge on top of that, i had read it was a tired but still charming old hotel that i could have dealt with ,but our room was an absolute disgrace and when asked if i enjoyed my stay by receptionist she ,thats good and walked away before i could say anything about the state of the room, but i must say we had a brilliant weekend in liverpool the cavern quarter is a really good night hope this helps

Room Tip: Dont go to this hotel
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple