6,853 results
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 26 July 2014

First visited in 1958 then again in 2012 now in 2014 unfortunately the building is looking 100 years old but still the best location for all that Liverpool has to offer.Busses Taxis and trains all within yards of the imposing entrance.
Steer clear of room 508 there are two steps up inside the door making it dang erous to negotiate the toilet Although it appears to have been decorated recently the furniture (purchased from an Aunty Wainright sale?) was that of pre 1958
This room faced out into the light well that the see gulls thought was the Irish see and kept up their banshee cries all night.Due to a heat wave 27 degrees the windows had to be left opened as far as the double glazing would allow to prevent suffocation
There was no attempt.to provide any form of air conditioning in any of the public areas but An HSS hire van was collecting portable air con units hired for a private function.
The staff are helpful and friendly despite the lifts always giving some trouble.which seem to be constantly overloaded.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank George O
Reviewed 26 July 2014

“Oh my God” four nights at the Adelphi, definitely not a place to recommend to your worst enemy never mind your friends .The décor is best described as “Jaded Opulence” main rooms styled after the Titanic on first impression awesome, but don’t look too closely apart from what seems like a relatively new carpet the rest of the furniture and fittings are definitely 20 s ( real antique, like Del Boy ) The staff, you get the impression that you are an inconvenience, and any questions or requests are treated with distain ( perhaps we were in steerageway ! ) Restaurant, ( Jenny’s ) a free for all, you have to wait to be seated, and then waved to an area ,some would remember reminiscent of an Army cookhouse (1950-60s) The food would be unacceptable as “Food-Aid” to any third world country, the Chef probably a failed Army cook. The waitress service ,actually it was self-service, with waitresses to clear tables and offer assistance ( beware don’t ask for anything ie side plate’s,tea spoons,water,milk,coffee refill etc ) none of which was available ,if you were lucky enough to catch a waitress the usual answer was “you’ll have to wait” with a 50-50 chance that they might return. The rooms, our bedroom was large and generally clean although the furnishings were well-worn, the windows were metal framed (rusty) making them hard to open and secondary glazing had been fitted but badly making them hard to open, ditto the bathroom. The whole accommodation had an air of neglect, even the lifts, ( we were on the third floor) failed to operate properly, they seemed to have a mind of their own, going up and down randomly irrespective of which button was pressed, in fact out of the three lifts available, by the fourth morning only one was working, causing great anger & frustration as the coach parties were leaving that morning. The staff as a usual passing by with an air of indifference. I would suggest that,this Hotel is in dire need of a visit by “The Hotel Inspector” of TV fame !!!!! Recommended ! No!No!No!

Room Tip: Definitely NOT Room 307
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Mike B
Reviewed 26 July 2014

me and my wife were booked into the adelphi for a 2 night stay by my family for our 25th wedding anniversary on arrival there were people at reception complaining about there rooms and we thought what have we come to when we got our room one of the key cards wouldnt work so we went to reception to get it sorted we were asked if our room was ok we said it looked dated and were offered another room we went and had a look our first impression was what is this are they having a laugh there were screw sticking out of the bed frame the whole bed was loose the mattress was lumpy you could feel all the springs so we settled for the first room the staff were helpfull the crompton bar staff were brilliant we had our first meal there and it was perfect since returning we have not had a good nights sleep as we belive we must have brought back bed bugs from our stay here we have seen them and killed a lot of them but have been bitten every night by them we havent found them all but some nights we dont get bitten and on nights we are bitten we sleep down stairs on the sofa we have never had bed bugs in our home before until we stayed at the adelphi i would recommend everyone to check the beds to see if there is any sings of bed bugs before they unpack any thing and check all the furniture and if they find anything to get out a soon as possible this is the worst experiance we have ever had staying in a hotel and wont be using any of the britania chain hotels again

Room Tip: dont think there are any good rooms unless you are willing to pay for the higher spec ones we stayed in room 404 i think
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank sean q
Reviewed 25 July 2014

I was looking for a gym to attend while I was staying in the city.I asked in the novotel in Hannover street would it be possible for my young family and myself to use their facilities.I was turned down straight away because we were not staying in the hotel.I was advised by the receptionist to try the adelphi hotel.when I went and enquired I was told it would be fine to use the gym and pool.I cannot speak highly enough of the three members of staff that I met.they are a credit to any organisation that they belong to and are geat ambassadors to the welcome that you find in Liverpool as a family friendly tourist destination.well done the staff of spindles.

• Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 25 July 2014

Brought the in laws down for an early hospital appointment in Liverpool, the nearness to to hospital was ideal and coming from Blackpool where Britannia has two ok hotels we gave the Adelphi a try.
If you don't like mayhem don't bother, there was a large wedding on, a Christian Science meeting, and several other functions which made booking in a nightmare for my elderly father in law this was after getting him into the building which has no disabled access and I noticed several elderly members of the wedding party being bodily lifted up the steps. Staff were no existent and the one member I did find sent me to the "Adelphi Hotel" car park at the rear of the building which is nothing to do with the hotel, but is run by a company called Parking Eye and my inability to remember my registration number left me £60.00 lighter.
The room was on a corner big and airy but the lack of decent windows made the traffic and the local Karaoke bar quite a distraction, the food was ok but nothing to write home about. The hotel needs a LARGE facelift before too long
Admittedly we did get the room cheap, but with the Premiers and Travel Inn and the large amount of eating establishments in the centre of Liverpool when we return the Adelphi will definaterly be on the miss list

Room Tip: Watch the "Adelphi Hotel" car park it's nothing to do with the hotel and run by a parking company better to use local NCP
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business