“Needs updating”

Ranked #73 of 97 Hotels in Liverpool
Leics
“Needs updating”
Reviewed 12 August 2014

We stopped at this hotel for 2 nights what a beautiful hotel it must of been but now it needs updating mainly the bedrooms. As you walk in you can see that once upon a time it had been the `in place`. The stairs leading up to the main sitting area and the size of that room was amazing. Our bedroom was small and needed some work doing on it broken towel rail shower was either hot or cold. The windows only opened a little and the weekend we stopped was very hot. We only had breakfast but that was very basic and cost a lot The staff were very helpful but not always smiley. I wouldn't say don't stop here because of the nostalgia but only for a couple of days.

Room Tip: I you go in the summer take a fan with you.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Claire20Leics

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,513)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Myself and my wife have always wanted to stay here having seen it on a previous visit to Liverpool. We were really impressed with the grandeur of the internal facade. The thing that we were not impressed about was the way we had to queue for our room key ( Which took 30 minutes) and for breakfast ( at 9.30 ). We were given a room on the 6th floor ,so when we entered the lift with 5 other people the lift would not move and an alarm started sounding, although the maximum for the lift was 11 people,a couple had to get out before the lift would move ( very noisily).the room we were allocated looked very dated, it looked as though it hadn't been decorated since the 80,s. Now that I have stayed here I don,t think I would stay here again.

1 Thank Russell E
Coatbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Hotel OK room clean however went for Beatles Tribute overnight stay. Group came on at 9.40 p.m. and finished at 10.45 p.m! Had to queue in the morning for breakfast due to lack of staff to clear tables.

Room Tip: We were on fifth floor and room was OK
Colchester
Reviewed 10 August 2014

My wife and I have just returned from a Travelstyle holiday at this hotel. Prior to our departure I looked through the reviews from other travellers. It was a very grand hotel in years past, but it is now just a grand hotel. The architecture is breath-talking in the public areas. The first 3 floors have corridors lined with marble, and some very swish rooms ans suites. We stayed in a very comfortable room on 5th floor. The room was clean and the TV was new. The food was a buffet system for breakfast and dinner.The choice of meals was good, we are both veggies and were well catered for.The position of the hotel is fantastic as it is in the centre of the ,many attractions, and near the river Mersey. The only down part was the entertainment. Several very good singers, but it was organised by two useless silly girls.
I feel that some of the negative reviews are unfair,but each to his own.
We will certainly be returning to the Adelphi.

1 Thank travellerColchester
Newcastle
Reviewed 10 August 2014

I have been before approx. 10 years ago and thought it had been wonderful so when I wanted something special for my partner's birthday I booked again. Wish I had not bothered and slept in the car.

Car parking - £12 for 24 hours, a five minute walk from the hotel, you can pay when you book into the hotel instead of trying to find £12 in change.

Reception - surly staff who gave mis-directions to the bedroom
I was informed by reception that we had been given an upgrade to our room at no extra charge, should have realised at that point that it was not to our advantage. Spent ten minutes trying to locate the room and eventually gave up and had to return to the reception area.

I located a member of staff and asked her to assist. We went to the lift, one to the right of reception, which is supposed to hold eight people, four of us plus the member of staff were in it, The lift couldn't manage, none of us had suitcases so the member of staff got out. Lift creaked to the correct floor for us. We had gone one floor up and then had to go three staircases down to Room M4 - apparently the bridal suite, my advice if that is the best you can get on your bridal suite you will head for a very quick divorce!! The room is huge, has a lounge area, a sitting area, bedroom and bathroom. Bedroom part, four poster bed, the end post right hand side wobbled when you sit on the bed, think it may have seen too much action. The lounge area had two settees possibly from the 1980's an analogue TV with five channels, not flat screen, thought most of these had gone into the tip. The bathroom a throwback from an 1980's set with fake onyx marble formica walls, the bath had what I thought was an earwig in it, but when I tried to flush it away realised it was a large brown gouge in the bath. And this was n upgrade!! It was also directly underneath the dance floor above and was extremely dark as it was in the basement. Bearing in mind that this room had cost £176 including car park it fell short of being suitable.

I returned to reception and asked to speak to the manager, I mentioned all of the above and we were moved to another room no 120, better room in that it wasn't so huge. However the back of the TV was hanging off and I took photos to show the wires and gap which you could get your hand into if you were foolish enough to try. The door into the bedroom had been forced at some point and had not been repaired, the windows were filthy and had not been cleaned for some time considering the amount of filth ( I took photos of those to). On a positive side you could not hear the party anymore and the bed was comfortable. But value for money absolutely no way.

Next morning breakfast, which I had paid for in the cost of the price of the room. Would have been better going to McDonalds. Not stocked fully, juice warm, given tea but no milk, had to go and take some from another table. food was just to say warm and this was 9.30am so neither late nor early on a Sunday morning.

Would we go again, probably not even if you paid us, Do not visit as there are better and other options, don't waste your time or money on this place until it is renewed.

Room Tip: Do not use room M4 - the bridal suite for all of the reasons listed Room 120 - okayish would not ex...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Liverpool hotels

Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Stayed here for four nights and wondered if I was staying in the same hotel as some of the reviewers! Loved the downstairs and yes the room was a bit tired but I do not aim to be in it much!Breakfast and Dinner were fine though it did depend on when you went in as to the length of the queue- but what does waiting a few minutes matter. I think some people are not happy unless they are complaining.The biggest plus is its position bang in the Centre of this wonderful City. Near to all forms of transport and within walking distance of all the attractions. I come to Liverpool regularly and would certainly use this Hotel again. Bed Breakfast and Evening meal for £50 a night for a single person is just great!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank joycen60
Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

Beautiful building in an excellent location! Stayed one night, the room was basic even though we upgraded..clean but tired looking. The queue for breakfast was huge, I've never waited so long for breakfast!! Would stay again but wouldn't pay more than £40 and wouldn't have breakfast.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends