“not disabled friendly at all” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Adelphi Hotel & Spa

Adelphi Hotel & Spa
Ranked #72 of 99 Hotels in Liverpool
Lancashire
“not disabled friendly at all”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2014

I went on a tribute band overnighter and was I glad not any longer stay. There are steps everywhere and the only ramps I saw were in the lounge area for the few steps at the side. Also had a chair lift at the side of the breakfast room but looked so tatty do not think many people chanced using it or if you wanted to could not because people were having to wait on the stairs also. Shame as the hotel is old and can understand that not the best rooms but yes good prices but no good to anyone in a wheelchair wonder if management or higher ever try to imagine what it is like or maybe do not want disabled people there.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank elaine14

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,475)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2014

Check in took 30 mintues, with only one person in front of us, probably because maybe understaffed. one staff on and she seemed very slow. Was no apology about waiting 30 mintues to be checked in at half 9 at night.

A long wait for a lift as only one was working, half the buttons didn't work on the lift either. Wasn't told about a stairs which we would of preferred when showed where our room was on a map.

Our room was m15 seemed like we were down in the servant quarters, we had to get the lift to floor 1 walk to the other side of the floor to go out a door down messy broken stairs and into a tiny corridor. Room was okay. Window was open and didn't have a lock so didn't feel too safe. Luckily we couldn't hear much od the nightlife and was to tired to care. The mattress was uncomfy, springs sticking out. Was then awoken by two people on the floor having sex very loudly and a maid walking in without knocking. Made sure I never touched the floor without my shoes on as didn't seem clean.

Definitely wasn't worth £79 for one night, which we paid!

• Stayed August 2014
4 Thank dem12dec

Travellers are raving about these Liverpool hotels

Stoke-on-trent
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2014

A hotel that must have been fantastic in it's hey day. Architecturally beautiful and in a good location but that's unfortunately the only positive thing about this hell hole.

It smells unfortunately like an old peoples home and would require much money to be spent on it to bring it back to life. The reception were just keen to get the large queue of people booked in and were reluctant to give the basics such as telling people about check out times and breakfast. Throughout our stay at least one of the lifts was out of order. The hotel parking is a piece of wasteland at the back of the hotel, don't leave your car there, it's dodgy and expensive.t

We had an interlinking room with another couple and were kept awake not only by the never ending traffic noise outside but by the noise of the snoring gentleman in the next room through the thin doors. The bathrooms are old and dated, there is dust in every corner. The leather settees in the main reception areas of the hotel are worn and smelly.

Down for breakfast was like eating in a school canteen. There are flasks of coffee on the table and please do check all your cutlery several cups and knives on our table were not clean. The bacon on the breakfast was inedible as it was so hard and dried out, it came out of the kitchen that way!! The sausages could have contained anything, it certainly wasn't pork.

I am certainly glad our stay was short and sweet.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the road, that isn't interlinking.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
      Sleep Quality
4 Thank Oatie66
Coventry
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2014

I in the room writing this. Check in took an age, was given a twin when I booked a double which was only rectified when I threatened to check out. The room isn't particularly clean or comfortable. I would give this place a miss and right now I would rather be somwhere else.

• Stayed August 2014
1 Thank Andy T
Coventry, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2014

I want to begin by highlighting that we chose the Adelphi for our stay in Liverpool because of the fact that it has a fascinating history and some interesting stories to tell; we also paid a mere £65 for a dinner, bed and breakfast package. Bearing both of these things in mind, we were not disappointed.

The hotel itself has a superb location in the city centre, making it even more of a bargain - although be aware that if you arrive by car, you will need to factor in an extra £12 for 24 hours in the adjacent car park. In the past, the Adelphi was a luxurious hotel for the elite, and there is definitely still the distinct impression of this in the reception and grand lounge areas. We enjoyed spending time in the lounge, and also the Sefton room, which is a replica of the First Class smoking lounge on the ill-fated Titanic - we found it all thoroughly fascinating and absorbing.

Our standard double room was also appealing and characterful in its own way - yes, the fixtures and fittings are tired, and the TV like something straight from the early 90s, but the room was spacious and the bathroom tiled with lovely thick marble.
We were intrigued by numerous tales of supernatural occurrences in the hotel, and although we did not experience anything directly, the place certainly does exude an eeriness that only adds to its character - especially the corridors, with their creepy full-length wall mirrors!

The food was entirely reasonable for the cost - both dinner and breakfast were buffet style, and although the choice and presentation left plenty to be desired, it was all tasty and satisfying. You can't pay these prices and expect Michelin-star quality food!

The only negative points are the amount of time we had to spend queuing at reception to check in - something we rarely experience at hotels, even busy ones. In total we had to wait about 25 minutes, which suggests an element of inefficiency. Also, the cleanliness of the room wasn't quite up to the standard we'd hope for - we certainly wouldn't describe it as dirty, but the bathroom was a little dusty, and the runner at the bottom of the bed had a small white paint stain on it.

Overall, if you visit the hotel expecting a quirky and memorable place with some forgivable flaws, you will enjoy it precisely for what it is. If you're after luxury and impeccable service, look elsewhere.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
5 Thank Richard A
Glasgow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2014

My wife and I set off on a 3 night jaunt to Liverpool, a city I hold a deep affection for.
(Beatles fans.Enough said.)
Anyway, we managed to secure the afore-mentioned 3 nights at none other than The Adelphi for the princely sum of £114. (Room only).
This works out at £38 per night, which even though it was Tuesday-Thursday, was none too shabby-which is more than I can say for the hotel.
Basically, the room and most of the surrounding decor was badly in need of a facelift.
The wallpaper was faded, the window fitting loose, the furniture chipped-not all huge drawbacks in themselves, but if I had been paying the going rate of £90 per night (as advertised at reception) I would have been complaining loudly.
Another bone of contention was the length of time at check in-I must have waited for 20 minutes, as only two members of staff were present.
This seemed to be a regular occurence-every time I passed reception, a queue was in evidence.
Having said all of this, the staff were very helpful and friendly, the food good and the bar prices reasonable.
A good makeover would do wonders.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank johnnyt20
Gloucester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2014

I have stayed at the Adelphi 3 times before and I do love the place - rather like the way one loves an eccentric great maiden aunt. Its faded elegance and idiosyncrasies appeal to me but they may not be to everyones liking. The rooms vary in size from massive to minute and its the luck of the draw which you get. I have had both! The public rooms are magnificent and on a gob smacking scale. On my most recent visit I was able to check in early at 1.30.pm. This is not always the case and you may have your case locked in a room with 500 others (this hotel caters for many coach parties). You then pray you can recognise your case on your return! You may also have to fight your way through hordes of smokers on the steps of the hotel. Indeed you may be one of those on the steps. I only mention it because I am not a smoker and it is not really the fault of the hotel.
I may be wrong but I think that on my previous visits breakfast was included in my booking. This time it was not and seemed very expensive option to add on. If you are in this situation I suggest you decline the offer and head down the hill to the Richard John Blacker (Wetherspoons) in Charlotte Row where you will get an excellent breakfast for peanuts.
The lift are another idiosyncrasy of this hotel. They are old and frequently out of order or the queue to use them is impressive so good cardiac exercise on the stairs is required. If this doesn't appeal, this may not be hotel for you.
However, although I have considered staying at one of the smart new upstart hotels that have been built on the dockside and probably would if her who shall be obeyed is accompanying me, if I am travelling alone I will still be revisiting the Adelphi as I would my maiden great aunt to see how the years are treating her and to renew old acquaintances and of course as long as I stay fit enough to climb those elegantly faded stairs!

Room Tip: Try to ask for one of the larger rooms and one with a window!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo