“Expected terrible ... but was plesently surprised !”

Adelphi Hotel & Spa
Ranked #74 of 98 Hotels in Liverpool
Reviewed 8 February 2010

The reports that I had heard on this hotel were not good but when we arrived I was plesently surprised ... We had just paid for a standard room but we ended up getting a suite ... Room 201 ! It was really lovely . The hotel is right in the centre of liverpool and everything is on the door step
On the other hand ,my sisters room was tiny , as in broom closet tiny ... The value for money could be improved as the cost of there room was way too much for what they actually gor - Room 545 !!

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Seskin
There are newer reviews for Adelphi Hotel & Spa

Reviewed 7 February 2010

I have just returned from a 4 night stay here with National Holidays and cannot understand what all the complaints I have read are about. the Adelphi is an old Edwardian building and has kept most of it's original features and is furnished accordingly. Admittedly some of the bedroom furnishings are a little 'tired' but overall the room I had was comfortable, the king size bed was clean and comfortable and I had everything I needed. My only niggle would be that none of the TV channels worked properly, they were apparently having arial problems but this seems to have been an ongoing complaint reading other reviews. It didn't really bother me but I can understand others may have a problem with it.
The self service, eat as much as you want breakfast was, in my opinion, excellent with a large choice of both hot and cold food. On a couple of mornings I took advantage of having a continental breakfast in my room for just £1 service charge. Just fill in the form in your room and leave it on the door handle before 3a.m.
Dinner was 3 courses, 2 of which were self service. there was a choice of 2 starters, a choice of 4 mains and lots of choicesof delicious desserts. The main meal was OK and adequate, the starters and desserts were lovely.
I didn't take advantage of the hour's free bar the queues were ridiculous and my days of queuing like schoolchildren are long gone!
I found most of the staff helpful and friendly. As long as you greet them with a smile and treat them politely they tend to treat you the same. to be fair they must be so sick of hearing people moaning and complaining. Some people seemed to grumble about every little thing.
All in all I had a brilliant time and at £99 for 4 nights dinner, bed and breakfast you won't hear me complaining and I'll definitely be back.

• Stayed: February 2010
1  Thank MoiraHull
Reviewed 6 February 2010

Stayed at the Britannia Adelphi Hotel with work during the week.... simply put this hotel is AWFUL and I would never willingly return.

The good part was the location.

Room....dirty and very dated 1/10
Food.... put it like this, left it and went to Wetherspoons 1/10

Noisey, Dirty, and useless staff on reception!!

Even the Car Park was awful... that's saying something!!

Never ever again

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business
3  Thank tripreview11
Reviewed 5 February 2010

I have just had a one night stay in the Britannia Adelphi hotel Liverpool. Where do I begin on the list of complaints ? It’s difficult to know because the moment I stepped into the foyer it was like being an extra in Acorn antiques . Never mind I thought, at least the rooms should be decent and a hot shower will have the required rejuvenating effect and all will be well .There was a shower of sorts it was an attachment on the bath that would have been handy for hosing down the family pet ; I much prefer to have both hands free to enable hair washing and bathing without having to have one arm dedicated to the task of a human pole. Then there was the bath which was big enough to accommodate a family of seals ,since I did not have enough time to wait three hours for it to fill I abandoned all hope of a decent cleansing .But on the upside , children could have a great time roller blading in there ,the large flat expanse of worn down lino lends itself to all kinds of acrobatics .The bedroom or should that be ‘suite’ since there was a coffee table ,chair and sofa ( which should have been given the deep six years ago ) and two single beds that are best described as ‘retro’ .The beds were made up in the obliglatory duvet but like the sofa the duvets were worn and tired ,I know how they feel I was clutching at straws by this time hoping things would improve .The covers were off white – no I don’t mean cream, I mean off white then there were the holes in the fabric ,not big don’t get me wrong , but just big enough to reassure me that there are no pleasant surprises lurking .Ah Ha!! A trouser press in the corner ,oh dear ! you can only use this if you first haul the T.V out of the corner and then haul it all back again taking great care not to trip over the wires .All in all I won’t be returning , however children could just have a great time- remember to take their skates and a few toy cars they will have a ball running them down the dip in the mattress .

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank mags1048
Reviewed 2 February 2010

We stayed for one night in January 2010, and paid the bargain price of £30 for one night in a double room. Yes, the rooms and furniture are old hat (reading some of the previous reviews I have no idea what some people were expecting it to be like!!) but this iconic hotel is beautiful inside and out, perfectly situated in the city centre, the place was absolutely sparkling clean and very comfortable. Would definately stay again in the future.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bluekipper1986
Reviewed 1 February 2010

I stayed here with my partner and the room we were allocated was as if it had not changed from the days of the titanic. Only 1 station worked on the tv. Only 1 plug worked in the room. There was no shower. There was a wedding on when we stayed there and the noise from it kept us up all night.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bazman10
Reviewed 1 February 2010

A brief description of how bad it was:
1: the buffet breakfast was inedible except for the well cooked toast
2. we booked a double room and had two single beds pushed together
3. unfriendly atmosphere throughout, very impersonal
4. Cleaning lady arriving into the room at nine am even though check out wasnt till eleven
5. check out at eleven. Why?
6. check out constituted throwing key card in a plastic tray. We werent even asked if we had a pleasant stay.
7. No signs