“Very nice hotel!”

Mercure Liverpool Atlantic Tower Hotel
Ranked #44 of 97 Hotels in Liverpool
“Very nice hotel!”
Reviewed 27 August 2013 via mobile

Stayed for two night over the bank holiday weekend as part of the Everton match package. Hotel was very well presented and liked the boat theme of the rooms. Slept relatively well but kept awake due to a concert nearby and the church bells ringing early in the morning, not really a fault of the hotel. The bed was comfy if a little small, however found a number of holes in the bed sheet. The rooms do need double glazing and the walls are paper thick. Didn't eat at the bar or restaurant as a function meant they were out of bounds, but the breakfast was lovely and nice to be served and directed to a table. The food was good and they never ran out! A lovely location and view out the bedroom window. Disappointed with the television, few channels and poor picture quality, might as well not offer one in the room if not being of similar quality. Staff friendly and eager to help. Overall, a pleasant stay.

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
ABR1, General Manager at Mercure Liverpool Atlantic Tower Hotel, responded to this review, 30 August 2013
Dear James P,

Many thanks for your comments, and I am pleased that overall you had a positive stay.
I do note your comments about the bed linen and will discuss with our Housekeeper who will in turn raise it with our supplier.
We have been trialling double glazing in a few rooms to see the impact on noise and temperature with a view to pursuing further investment on the windows, so your comments are noted also.
Thanks again for taking the time to feedback and I hope to see you back in Liverpool soon,

Alistair Risk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (613)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Sandbach
Reviewed 25 August 2013 via mobile

We stayed 1 night for Beatles week concert at the 'Phily'. Breakfast service was excellant with a small army of friendly local waitresses to pour drinks & whisk away generous self-service breakfast dishes. Porter service stores bags while you see the sights. Expansive views of waterfront from clean, comfortable room. Take a tip from locals & use taxis or use open-top bus for £8.

• Stayed August 2013
ABR1, General Manager at Mercure Liverpool Atlantic Tower Hotel, responded to this review, 27 August 2013
Dear Gary A,

Many thanks for your very kind review, which gives the team and I great encouragement.
I am pleased you mentioned the breakfast team and the local nature of the staff here. I do feel they make all the difference in terms of providing a true Liverpool welcome.
Many thanks again and hope to see you back at the hotel in the near future.
Best regards,

Guildford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 August 2013

Booked here as soon as I knew Liverpool v Stoke was the first game this season...in fact was reminded that I haven't been back since I stayed in the Oriental Suite on the horrific day of 9/11. We arrived before 9:00 (12:45 Kickoff) hoping to drop our bags and get some breakfast and was delighted to be told that room 822 was available. The room overlooks the Mersey and the Liver Building and is beautiful especially at night time. The design of the hotel affords spectacular views over the room from large panoramic windows in bedrooms on that side of the hotel so we could not have been more pleased. Lifts are a bit on the slow side and drinks a bit on the expensive side for Liverpool but the breakfasts are spot on so we have decided we will stay again when Liverpool are playing at home...not sure what but this hotel is by its very design a different place to stay than the usual hotel shoe boxes. And we were happy with the price. All in all it would be difficult to fault the Atlantic so we will be staying again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view over the mersey
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
ABR1, General Manager at Mercure Liverpool Atlantic Tower Hotel, responded to this review, 23 August 2013
Dear michaeljohnlee3,
Many thanks for your review, which is very well received.
I am so pleased you enjoyed your return after all these years and hope you found the improvements we have made to be positive.
The hotel is indeed a unique building and does have its own individual charm, and I grateful that you shared this online.
I hope to see you back at the hotel soon.

Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 August 2013

This was a one overnight stay for the beginning-of-season game at Anfield and overall I was pleasantly surprised and very satisfied with the whole experience. Reception were very helpful and gave us our room before lunchtime! I believe it was Natalie, very pleasant and helpful. Room 923 was spotlessly clean, twin beds, en-suite, tv, tea facilities etc. The beds were very firm and surprisingly I slept very well, even though I always find it difficult to get any sleep in a new bed in a hotel room on the 1st night. There was an assortment of toiletries, which even included a razor and shaving cream. The room was a bit tired and in need of a refurbishment, but overall ok. Not much of a view from our window but on the up side there was no noise in the corridor in the early hours of the night. Wi-fi was available in the room at no charge, imagine that free, in the room! Some hotels levy a charge! I didnt load up any photos of the room or the hotel, but those on the t/a site are accurate. Cost was £100 for 1 night bed & breakfast for 2 persons and even included an evening meal, an unbeatable offer! The steak and chips as well as the Haddock and chips were very good. Buffet breakfast was included and everything was available and very enjoyable. I have no complaints about the Thistle Atlantic hotel and would have no hesitation in recommending it to anyone. Its only 5 minutes walk from Liverpool One to the hotel and is easily found on the main Road, directly opposite The impressive Liver Building. If you are stopping over at Liverpool then the Thistle Atlantic is a great choice. Hopefully you found this review helpful, if so please remember to click the 'yes' button.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank smakibbfb
ABR1, General Manager at Mercure Liverpool Atlantic Tower Hotel, responded to this review, 20 August 2013
Dear Legrandfromage,
I love the username!
Thanks so much for your very kind review, which is much appreciated. It’s great that you had such a good stay and no doubt helped by the fact that the football result went in your favour!
It’s very kind of you to take the time to spread the word on line, and I do hope to see you back at the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 19 August 2013 via mobile

We stayed there for one night as a birthday treat. The rooms we clean the staff friendly and helpfully. We used the car park good as we parked the car for two days for only £8. Breakfast was good and well stocked.

Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Simon W,

Many thanks for your review, and I am delighted that you gave us five stars for your experience.
My team and I are greatly encouraged!
I do hope to see you back at the hotel in the near future.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 18 August 2013

I stayed here for one night ahead of flying from Liverpool Airport the next day. The Hotel is in a wonderful position; close enough to everything in the city centre, yet not right in the noisy part. My room had a stunning view of the Liver Building and the waterfront area, I was on the fourth floor and can only imagine it gets better the higher up you go!

The ladies on reception when I arrived where brilliant. They were helpful and friendly; particularly one lady who helped me lift my bike bag up to the top of the shelf in their storage room who was wonderfully helpful and funny.

Breakfast was as you would expect n a chain hotel; not fantastic but a wide range to choose from.

I'd recommend this hotel to anyone wanting a reasonably priced option in the city centre.

Room Tip: Ask to be facing Liver Building/Waterfront and higher the better.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
ABR1, General Manager at Mercure Liverpool Atlantic Tower Hotel, responded to this review, 19 August 2013
Dear BringBackBuck8,

Thanks for taking the time to post your review online, and I am please you had a good stay. In particular it’s great to get some feedback about the front desk staff!

Hope to see you back in the hotel soon.

Deal, KENT.
Reviewed 18 August 2013

HOTEL ATLANTIC TOWERS, LIVERPOOL. We stayed at this hotel for 4 nights 11-15/08/2013 in a junior suite on B/B basis. We arrived at 14.50hrs and were told the room was not ready and would probably be 30/40 minutes. Reception was very apologetic and we were asked if we would like a complimentary drink while we waited. We found ourselves in an unexpected situation, we had expected to drop our bags in the room and find some lunch. We had had a light breakfast before leaving home 5 hours earlier to travel by train and we had enjoyed a light snack with Virgin Rail 1st class but we were now feeling the need for some serious nourishment. We had no real alternative than to wait for our room and have a complimentary glass of wine.
Our room became available at 15.40hrs. It was room 1206 and our first impression was VERY NICE. It was spacious and nicely decorated with very nice carpeting (my wife says it would suit our bedroom???) there was a bedroom and sitting room with settee and chair and small table and a T.V. that I never learned how to understand the programming? What was most striking was the view. The window in the sitting room must have been 13ft at least and about 4ft high that gave a panoramic view over the Liver Building, the pier head, the cruise terminal, the river across to Birkenhead and much, much more. The skyline was fantastic. Unfortunately I had left my camera at home.
When we returned to the room about 17.30hrs the room was like an oven. The a/c was on but the maid had set it at 25 degrees, there were two a/c. units one in the bedroom, one in the sitting room, both independently fed from outside and set the same. I re set the temperature to as low as it would go on both, 18 degrees to get the room cooler and realised that no part of the combined 20 feet + windows in sitting room and bedroom would open. It had been a sunny day and the heat was still radiating in through the glass. We unpacked our clothes and hung them away and I set our travel clocks on the bedside table, they have a temperature display that was registering 36 degrees. It was too uncomfortable to sit in so we went out for a walk around Albert Dock. When we returned 1 hour + later the sun had moved off the window and the room was 26 degrees, still too warm. We then realised that the extractor fan in the bathroom was on permanently so there was this constant hum. It must have been on some sort of timer, it seemed to go off at midnight until 07.00hrs? The bathroom was a decent size with corner bath, toilet, one of these porcelain buckets as a hand basin (I hate them and I am sure they will end up as the avocado suite did), it was a respectable height though and a walk in shower. The shower had very little pressure which was a disappointment. The basin stand was black granite, the floor black tiles and the walls white tiles and was topped off with nice lighting. It looked quite impressive.
Breakfast was very good with an adequate selection to choose from. The staff were very pleasant and efficient. I ordered 2 poached eggs one of the mornings they took 10 minutes to arrive after reminding one of the girls and they arrived all but raw, she mumbled something of the chef having had to do them again. The restaurant manager came to our table and took them away asking if I wanted fresh but I had taken some scrambled and just wanted to finish our breakfast. That wasn’t good.
While waiting to check out I was approached by a woman who asked if we had enjoyed our stay. I said yes who are you? She introduced herself as House Manager. I asked if any of the windows in the hotel opened she said no. I explained it was uncomfortably warm on the 12th floor and with 11 floors of heat percolating through the floors and 80/100 square feet of glass letting heat in that the a/c could not keep the room cool, I did not witness a temperature less than 23 degrees during our stay. She explained the windows had been sealed to prevent jumpers??? If people want to jump they will find a way god bless them.
On our previous two visits to Liverpool we have stayed at the Hilton on an executive level and whilst I appreciate their windows don’t open either the windows only attracted the late afternoon sun and they covered a smaller area. We were not uncomfortable. I reviewed the Hilton June 2011.
Conclusion. The hotel is conveniently situated for the Pier Head, Ferry Crossing and Albert Docks but unfortunately off any bus routes. The reception and restaurant staff were very pleasant and helpful and except for the overheated bedroom/sitting room which created discomfort, we had a nice interesting stay.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Jackhardacre,

Well thank you for such a detailed review, which is much appreciated!
I am pleased that your experience was a good one, but there are several minor comments which you have raised which are really helpful and I will be sure to follow them up.
Many thanks for taking such time to post your thoughts.