“Good hotel, good location.”

Mercure Liverpool Atlantic Tower Hotel
Ranked #42 of 99 Hotels in Liverpool
Reviewed 27 December 2013 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel in December 2013 for a weekend shopping trip. Really nice hotel, the staff are friendly and welcoming. The hotel is in a brilliant location 5 minutes walk from Liverpool one and the docks and the bars and pubs are close by too. The only negative I have is that the hotel was too hot in the room and there are no windows you can open. It was sweltering! and the air con didn't make any difference.

Stayed: December 2013
ABR1, General Manager at Mercure Liverpool Atlantic Tower Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2014

Dear stephie_91,

Thank you for your kind comments and I am pleased you found the hotel to be of a good standard.
Thanks also for the feedback with regards to the heating in your room. We had recently endured some problems with the heating system which have just been resolved and it looks like perhaps we had overcompensated once the system was working effectively again.
Rest assured we have now balanced the heating system effectively.
Thanks again for taking the time to post your comments.

Alistair Risk

Write a ReviewReviews (2,335)

Reviewed 21 December 2013

Had our works christmas there & it was FAB!! The room looked gorgeous, the meal was lovely, all very hot as well! & the dj played excellent music danced all night. & to finish off the staff were brilliant, very friendly, they looked smart & they were very helpful! All in all a great night. Thank you!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
ABR1, General Manager at Mercure Liverpool Atlantic Tower Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 December 2013

Dear albobLiverpool,

Many thanks for your very kind comments. I am so pleased we managed to hit the spot and that you’re Xmas Do was a big success.

It’s been a great year for us in 2013 celebrating our 40th anniversary and having much of our public space refurbished, and we have thoroughly enjoyed finishing the year with a successful Christmas season too!

Thanks again and every best wish for 2014.

Reviewed 17 December 2013 via mobile

This good hotel created quite a stir when it was first built. Designed to represent the bow of a large ship, it was a welcome change from the ticky tacky boxes that had become the norm in the 60's and 70's and quickly established itself as a prestigious place to stay.

I've stayed here twice and attended numerous functions. The bedrooms are spacious and nicely appointed, especially ones at the front. The restaurant is pretty good too, although pricey for breakfast, if you haven't booked an inclusive rate.

It is disturbing to read in other reviews about drunken guests sleeping in corridors etc, but rather than stepping over them, it might have been better to report the matter to staff, who could then have dome something about it. There's not a lot that a hotel can do to prevent people from behaving in such a distasteful way, surely that's down to the individuals concerned? I also note some comments about lacklustre and nonchalant staff, but I have always found them pleasant and accommodating. It is worth remembering that they are not mind readers, but respond well to clear and polite requests.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Howi58

Dear Howi58,

Many thanks for your kind comments. It’s great to see that as a regular guest to the hotel we continue to deliver, and the team and I are greatly encouraged.
Thanks also for your comments regarding previous feedback from other guests. I will say that sometimes there is feedback that is hard to read, but also, without it we can’t get better, and everyone is entitled to their perspective too!
It’s the food of the gods as they say!
Nonetheless it is lovely to have a guest who wants to champion our cause and I really do appreciate it. Hope to see you some time in the New Year.
With very best regards,

Reviewed 17 December 2013

Stayed fri 13th dec for one night with my husband. We arrived early which was no problem and we were able to check in. We were on the 9th floor with amazing views of the Mersey. Our room was lovely. Clean and well decorated. We also booked into the restaurant, we did not eat in the main one due to the many Christmas parties which was not a problem it created a happy atmosphere I thought. Our waiter was lovely and attentive. Food was excellent and very well presented. Breakfast was lovely too. No complaints at all and we have decided we will definitely go back.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
ABR1, General Manager at Mercure Liverpool Atlantic Tower Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 December 2013

Dear bobandmand,

Many thanks for your very kind review which is very timely.
You may note there has been some dissatisfaction about the alternative Restaurant and Bar in recent reviews. Hopefully our response to the earlier comments has made an impact and I am so pleased you have shared your positive experience.
Many thanks indeed.
I hope to see you on your next visit to Liverpool.

Reviewed 15 December 2013

Stayed here for the weekend with my wife.

At check in Reception Staff a little inefficient but friendly enough.
Room was quite small and storage for clothes limited.
Bed was very comfortable...the best bit of the stay.
Car park is small and also about a 200 yard walk away...not good when there's a gale blowing down Chapel Street.

Went out to see friends on Friday so no experience of the restaurants etc.

We made up for this on the Saturday night. OMG!!!

Booked a table in the restaurant for 4 people at 9pm.
Went to the main restaurant and it had been taken over by a very noisy function. Had arranged to meet our friends in the Bar. This also taken over by a function to the exclusion of hotel guests.

We were directed to the restaurant on the 2nd floor and told there was a "bar" opposite the restaurant door. I use the term bar very loosely. This was a room with about 4 sets of tables and chairs. A tressle table with a couple of ice buckets containing some San Miguel and a barrel of beer with a tap. There was a fridge with mixers in and a selection of spirits which I can put to shame with what I have in my kitchen cupboard.!!

We decided not to stay. We went out to a local bar and came back for our meal later.

The waiter in the restaurant was very over worked but was cheery and a credit to himself.
The food was ordered. My wife ordered Singapore Noodles (allegedly spicy) and king prawns. She was a little disappointed when there were no prawns in her meal.
The pleasant waiter took her meal back and it duly arrived with prawns. He apologised profusely. These were not King Prawns they were the little cocktail prawns that you get in a prawn cocktail...not impressed.

We complained to the Reception staff about the fiasco of bar and restaurants and his response was an apologetic "It's nearly Christmas". I mentioned that at £95 per night I had expected better.
This wasn't met with any comment.

I would suggest that as Liverpool has a lot of 4/5 star hotels you try them and only use this one as a last resort. Do not come anytime in December as "it's nearly Christmas" and don't eat in the restaurant or drink in the bar!!

The icing on the cake (not Christmas) had to be the drunken man sleeping on the 4th Floor corridor who we had to step over to get to the lift when leaving the hotel.

I certainly will not be back

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Neville B

Dear Neville B,

Many thanks for your comments and I am so sorry that your experience was not a good one.
We do have a secondary restaurant which is used when our Restaurant is in use for Private events, and I believe to be in satisfactory condition. The VU Bar, on some occasions in December, has also been used for private events and therefore an alternative set up in the Royal suite. Whilst not perfect we had ensured that the area was appropriately dressed for Xmas, and the furniture had in fact been transported from our regular bar.
Should we do this again in future we will certainly look at either upgrading the space further or using the Club Car Restaurant as both restaurant and Bar.
With regards to the sleeping man on the corridor, my team do patrol the corridors regularly and this matter had been brought to my attention. I understand it was resolved immediately, and i apologise for any inconvenience caused.
Thanks again for your comments, and I would be keen to pick up some communication with you on the matter off line.

Reviewed 7 December 2013

First time at this hotel as my usual hotel could not accommodate us in a twin room. First impression was favorable but when checking in at 2 pm was told our room was not ready- something I felt was poor as they knew well in advance when we where arriving. so we left our bags behind reception till our return at 6 pm receptionist only offered assistance with case after she saw me struggle and was worse on our departure , expecting me to lift a heavy case over numerous others left in front of it with no attempt to move any out of the way- giving me the strong impression of "your going so I don't need to bother!" Staff felt mechanical with no warmth especially this particular one who lost interest when we where not interested in the expensive breakfast.
Rooms where comfortable if a tad small and felt it could have done with a mirror on the wall where the dressing table was placed and hair dryer was. Didn't mind the bells at all, better than an alarm clock I thought. Position was ok but would have preferred my normal hotel which is in a much nicer position, is cheaper , room is bigger, breakfast is included, staff are more down to earth and we have a view.

Room Tip: ok if you have a car as it has a descent car park or going on a cruise as docks are close
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Claire M

Dear Claire M,

Many thanks for your comments. I seem to have had a short run of comments regarding lack of friendliness of staff, which is ordinarily one of our key strengths. I am so sorry if this had an impact on your stay.
Please rest assured that I am already taking action, as detailed in my previous response on these pages.
Thanks again for your feedback, and I do hope your will consider giving us another try as your experience has not been typical of the hotel.

Reviewed 1 December 2013

stayed at the thistle for one night room was ok but i thought the servise was not very good, some staff not friendly which is a shame really , and as my friend and i stayed a saturday night we were woken by the very loud church bells on sunday morning not good if you have a hang over lol good location as its only minutes walk to centre of town, it was £140 a night for a twin room and if we wanted breakfast it was £15.95 per person per night a bit of a rip of so decided to have breakfast in town still had a good weekend x

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank beverleydevlin

Dear beverleydevlin,

Thanks for your comments and sorry to note you were disappointed with the service levels, particularly the friendliness of staff. This is an area which we do pride ourselves on and I have seen a couple of comments relating to this in these pages recently, so I am now driving a service engagement initiative with the team to get this back on track.
With regards to our weekend pricing, I do recognise that our rates are higher than they are midweek, however, in terms of the City; we do remain highly competitive, and measure this daily.
Thanks again for your comments which have been very helpful.
Best Regards,