“Average”

Mercure Liverpool Atlantic Tower Hotel
Ranked #41 of 98 Hotels in Liverpool
Reviewed 21 January 2014

We came over for a game at the weekend, a group of 4 lads staying in two twin rooms.

The rooms were clean and tidy but very small and cramped.

The hotel bar is extremely small but charges very big prices, 8 bottles of Bud cost £36.

We got taxis everywhere which cost around £5 a time and this was purely for handiness for us as we do not know Liverpool.

We paid over the odds for the rooms but that was down to the fact that there was a match on.

Room Tip: Our room was on the 10th floor and it was a box room.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Chris M
Catherine S, Manager at Mercure Liverpool Atlantic Tower Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 February 2014

Dear Chris M,

Thank you for your comments, I hope the match result was a good one. I do sympathise that bar prices are higher than many local pubs and that on event days in the city hotel stays will be at a premium. Guests that can be flexible with dates will be able to get some great deals on our promotional rates. Executive rooms do offer more space and might be a better option in the future. Reception has detailed maps and the team can advise to save you getting taxis in future.
I do hope we can welcome you back.

Catherine Stevens
Operations Manager

Reviewed 17 January 2014

Have stayed here a number of times and always enjoy it. The girl on reception was very friendly and helpful as well as efficient and was checked in in a matter a few minutes. The room was nice and big with a sofa and couple of chairs so was very comfortable.

The restaurant was nice and bright and recently been refurbed, however the breakfast the time we ate wasonly warm and was not the greatest we have had, just passable. The ladies in the restaurant were very friendly and efficient.

Overall a great stay and look forward to returning again soon.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Catherine S, Operations Manager at Mercure Liverpool Atlantic Tower Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 February 2014

Dear J0hnC0sta

Thank you so much for your very kind comments, which are much appreciated.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay, Apologies that the breakfast was not at our normal standard, I have passed this on to my team.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon,

Catherine Stevens
Operations Manager

Reviewed 16 January 2014

I awarded this hotel 3stars because of its location. Just a few mins. walk from the shops Ecco Arena, river side etc.(I was there to see Andre Rieu concert.) bedroom was functional and clean although cold when we arrived. Breakfast was adequate. Car parking however is not attached to the hotel but around the corner in another building. This is not obvious when you arrive. Customers need to enter the hotel to request directions (not easy with very limited parking space outside of the hotel) Worth researching other hotels in the immediate area.
I saw but did not use the fitness centre.

Room Tip: A room at the front would offer a view of the river.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Culley42
ABR1, General Manager at Mercure Liverpool Atlantic Tower Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2014

Dear Culley42,

Thanks for your review, and I am sorry that you were less than enthusiastic about your stay.
We are one of the few hotels in the City who have a car park and endeavour to ensure that price is significantly more attractive that the Privately operated Car Parks nearby.
I do recognise it is not on site, though there are bays at the front of the hotel to drop luggage off and it is very close by.
I’m glad location was ideal for you, though we do not have a fitness centre on site as your review suggests.
We also have a number of different room types available with small supplements for larger corner rooms.
I do hear your comments regarding temperature on arrival. During the winter months we do have the maids activate the in room heating prior to guest arrival in rooms, and I am sorry if this did not happen in your specific room and will follow up with housekeeping to ensure this happens consistently.
Thanks again for your comments,

Reviewed 15 January 2014

With our 2 hungry boys we popped into the Thistle for dinner before catching the ferry to Dublin. The restaurant was booked for a function and we were directed upstairs to the bar, where we were told that the same menu was available to us, but that with the function the kitchen was very busy and we might have to wait longer than usual. We explained that our time was limited as we had the ferry to catch; the bar staff undertook to 'do their best'. They duly did - we were served as quickly as we could have hoped for, with a fresh, tasty meal.
Simply, good and responsive customer service. With the friendliness I'd hope to find in Liverpool...

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Dear Bus_and_fam_traveler,

Thank you so much for your very kind comments, which are much appreciated.
I am so pleased that despite the event taking place my team were able to respond positively to your individual needs and did so with a smile!

Many thanks for spreading the word online.
With best regards

Reviewed 11 January 2014

We stayed here on a spur of the moment trip to Liverpool. All the staff we saw were friendly and helpful. Parts of the hotel have been refurbished since we last stayed here. The dining room in particular is bright and pleasant and offers a fantastic view of the Liver Building and the river. Our room was small but clean and comfortable. The location is great for shopping, restaurants, bars and tourist attractions

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
ABR1, General Manager at Mercure Liverpool Atlantic Tower Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2014

Dear Happytraveller22,

Thank you so much for your kind review.
I am very pleased that you enjoyed the upgrades to our restaurant and bar this year. We are delighted with the results and believe it has made quite a difference to the hotel.
I'm also pleased you found the team to your liking too! They are the ones who make the difference, much more than a refurbishment, but I’m pleased you so the impact of both.
Thanks again and look forward to your next Happy Travel to Liverpool!

Best Regards,

Reviewed 2 January 2014 via mobile

Stayed for a weekend in September. Initial thoughts were outstanding. Everything spotless. The guy on reception in the evening was "the best" front of house I have ever had the pleasure to encounter. Nothing was too much trouble. The breakfasts were amazing, the staff were friendly , the girl on the bar on my arrival whilst waiting for my friend to arrive, made me feel very welcome. The bar staff in the upstairs bar were great and we had the pleasure of a welsh male voice choir singing an impromptu version of "you ll never walk alone " which was amazing!! My only gripe was we order 2 steak
Meals and at the time of ordering didn't realise until afterwards that we should have received a free bottle of house wine with our meal and this wasn't received .. Other than that our step was perfect. Thank you

• Stayed: September 2013

Dear Bettyboo273,

Many thanks for your very kind comments. I am delighted you had such a great stay and gave such positive feedback about the hotel and the team. We really are greatly encouraged!

With reference to the missing bottle of wine, please contact the hotel directly and ask for Elizabeth Flitton, who will be happy to look into the matter of your booking and see what happened and put the matter right for you.
Thanks again for your comments and hotel to see you next time you are in Liverpool.
Best regards,

Reviewed 30 December 2013 via mobile

First the good bits:

Free wifi everywhere.
Well appointed rooms.
4 pillows on a double bed - not 2 on the bed and one hidden in a cupboard, as is far too common.
Car parking reasonably priced for the area.
Friendly staff.
Decent breakfast... but see below.

Sadly a few bad bits:
Breakfast times - at Christmas and New Year when people are generally not travelling on business, many hotels adopt their weekend breakfast times across tge holiday period. Not the Thistle. They actually reduced the breakfast times -starting at the later weekend time and finishing at the earlier weekday time. All this was presumably for the staff's benefit rather than the customer's.
Tatty unofficial signs in lifts.
Bottom sheet was too small for the bed!

However, at the right price, the hotel is to be recommended.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends

Dear busman77,
Many thanks for your comments, good and bad!
I am pleased that the overall experience was a positive one and you kindly graded us at 4 out of 5. I do note your comments regarding the breakfast times and the signage.
Over the Christmas and New Year period the hotel is very quiet and therefore we limited the breakfast times, though I do appreciate your point and will make consideration to this for next year.
With reference to the signage I completely agree. I had enjoyed a few days off myself over Xmas and on my return immediately took those signs down and replaced with more effective and professional communications.
Many thanks for your feedback once again and I hope to see you again next time you are in town.
Best Regards,